The Political Lounge

Steam Game Recommendation

vcczar

I recommend Pro Wrestling Simulator. It's a text-based game in which you run a wrestling company. I found a 1985 mod, which I think is better than the base game because it has historical wrestlers, unlike the default game. 

In the 1985 mod, you can play as the WWF or the other big wrestling companies of the time. Some of you might not know but I was a big WWF wrestling fan from about 1985 (small kid) to the mid-1990s. Hulk Hogan was probably the first celebrity I knew about. I might have got into wresting because of a WWF cartoon that started showing on Saturday Mornings in 1985--Hulk Hogan's Rock n' Wrestling. So this mod definitely has sentimental value.

Post-1990s wrestling isn't as appealing to me, mainly because it seems to focus on violence and pyrotechnics. The fun thing about the "Golden Age" of wrestling is that it was corny as hell. Most of the wrestlers were out of shape. The feuds were ridiculous, often getting started because someone stole someone's hat. The wrestling gimmicks were often politically incorrect by today's standards but had a weird innocence about them compared to the wrestling gimmicks today. In fact, it seems wrestlers tend to wrestle more as themselves today than as a "gimmick." Who wouldn't want to see a wrestling match involving a supposed representative of the IRS named Irwin R. Shyster facing off against a man in a sparkling suit named the Million Dollar Man (when a million dollars was like a billion)? 

Anyway, it's a fun game if you know anything about historical wrestlers. You don't do any of the wrestling. You're just trying to make money setting the matches, building the teams, etc. Vince McMahon stuff. 

You can also just "watch" it happen by not taking on a wrestling company and let it sim through the years. That's what I've been doing while working on AMPU. 

55 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I recommend Pro Wrestling Simulator. It's a text-based game in which you run a wrestling company. I found a 1985 mod, which I think is better than the base game because it has historical wrestlers, unlike the default game. 

In the 1985 mod, you can play as the WWF or the other big wrestling companies of the time. Some of you might not know but I was a big WWF wrestling fan from about 1985 (small kid) to the mid-1990s. Hulk Hogan was probably the first celebrity I knew about. I might have got into wresting because of a WWF cartoon that started showing on Saturday Mornings in 1985--Hulk Hogan's Rock n' Wrestling. So this mod definitely has sentimental value.

Post-1990s wrestling isn't as appealing to me, mainly because it seems to focus on violence and pyrotechnics. The fun thing about the "Golden Age" of wrestling is that it was corny as hell. Most of the wrestlers were out of shape. The feuds were ridiculous, often getting started because someone stole someone's hat. The wrestling gimmicks were often politically incorrect by today's standards but had a weird innocence about them compared to the wrestling gimmicks today. In fact, it seems wrestlers tend to wrestle more as themselves today than as a "gimmick." Who wouldn't want to see a wrestling match involving a supposed representative of the IRS named Irwin R. Shyster facing off against a man in a sparkling suit named the Million Dollar Man (when a million dollars was like a billion)? 

Anyway, it's a fun game if you know anything about historical wrestlers. You don't do any of the wrestling. You're just trying to make money setting the matches, building the teams, etc. Vince McMahon stuff. 

You can also just "watch" it happen by not taking on a wrestling company and let it sim through the years. That's what I've been doing while working on AMPU. 

The New Generation was pretty darn cool. The Golden age was also good as well.

Not a wrestling fan, but my current Steam addiction is Project Zomboid.  Ton of fun.

You can set up a base anywhere on the enormous map, modeled after the state of Kentucky.  I tried out a prison break scenario — but after getting out of my own cell, I decided to set up my camp in a cushier cell because outside is super dangerous.  I’ve got my room set up really nice, feels defensible, I’ve been raiding the rest of the prison for food and medicine, I even moved a TV into my cell.  I feel confident I can last in here for at least a month, maybe longer.  The real challenge will be that the power will eventually go out, and if I try to use a generator indoors I can die from the fumes.  But there is a roof area I can access, so I might move my mini fridge out there...assuming I can find a generator at all.

My precious survival record is only 8 days (had a great defensible cabin but wanted to stockpile more food until my tomato seeds sprouted.  Unfortunately, got killed on the supply run.

• Based 1

Sounds cool! I am into Wrestling since 2006. I try to watch highlights and so on every weekend. I think the era I got into Wrestling was better than it is nowadays tbh same goes for the late 90s. WCW seemed much cooler. I have watched many of Goldberg's late 90s fights and they were really awesome. Nowadays there's too much show for my taste. 

From the mid 2000s I like the Edge, Batista, Triple H and The Undertaker the most.

Sonya Deville is currently the most interesting character for me!

Other Cool characters:

Sheamus

Ricochet

Drew McIntyre

Charlotte Flair

Rather annoying characters:

Los Lotharios

Rick Boogs

Sami Zayn

Baron Corbin

Big E

Madcap Moss

7 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Sounds cool! I am into Wrestling since 2006. I try to watch highlights and so on every weekend. I think the era I got into Wrestling was better than it is nowadays tbh same goes for the late 90s. WCW seemed much cooler. I have watched many of Goldberg's late 90s fights and they were really awesome. Nowadays there's too much show for my taste. 

From the mid 2000s I like the Edge, Batista, Triple H and The Undertaker the most.

Sonya Deville is currently the most interesting character for me!

Other Cool characters:

Sheamus

Ricochet

Drew McIntyre

Charlotte Flair

Rather annoying characters:

Los Lotharios

Rick Boogs

Sami Zayn

Baron Corbin

Big E

Madcap Moss

I only know of Triple H and Undertaker of those you mentioned. I was still watching wrestling when Undertaker was gaining notice. Never saw Triple H wrestle. 

• Based 1

Here's a game that deserves much more attention and love. 

L.A. Noire

You play as fresh off the block just got home from the war detective in a post-war boom L.A. who (thanks to the player's efforts) quickly rises up the ranks of the LAPD to discover a secret that affects L.A. as a whole. 

It was a unique game for its time due to its use of motion caption for its characters. Reading facial expressions is a pretty big part of getting things correct. It's one of my favorites over all, and I wish Rockstar could revive it for a sequel. Maybe after GTA 6 pwease Rockstar.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Cenzonico said:

Here's a game that deserves much more attention and love. 

L.A. Noire

You play as fresh off the block just got home from the war detective in a post-war boom L.A. who (thanks to the player's efforts) quickly rises up the ranks of the LAPD to discover a secret that affects L.A. as a whole. 

It was a unique game for its time due to its use of motion caption for its characters. Reading facial expressions is a pretty big part of getting things correct. It's one of my favorites over all, and I wish Rockstar could revive it for a sequel. Maybe after GTA 6 pwease Rockstar.

I got it when it first came out, on release day, was so excited.  

but it turned out there was no way to “really” solve the cases.  The correct answer turned out to not be a valid choice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

When it comes to single-player RPG/adventure/character interactive/sleuthing, etc. games, I miss the days when creating your own character, with your name, relevant demographics, career/class/job/role, and skills and other traits to interact with the plot and the world was the norm. Now they're practically unheard of, except for MMO's, where they're a necessity by nature. I largely stopped playing such games entirely (except MMO's, which I still play a couple of) because of not liking to have a pre-made character, or even a pre-made tabula rasa with only one fit as a character type. Otherwise, I might have tried this game. 😞

You Don't Say? | Know Your Meme

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 2

On 3/9/2022 at 5:25 PM, vcczar said:

Are you familiar with the TEW series?

4 minutes ago, Mark_W said:

Highly recommend, think it's pretty comfortably the best wrestling simulator and has a larger community/modding scene since it's been going a long time.

Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm only interested really if it has wrestlers from the 1980s and early 1990s. 

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm only interested really if it has wrestlers from the 1980s and early 1990s. 

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545720&highlight=Index

I think a bunch of the better real world modders stopped after TEW2016 (not certain though, I pretty much exclusively play fictional mods). Worth downloading the demo and a couple of these and checking out though if you like PWS.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, vcczar said:

In TEW, for 80’s wrestling find the Death of the Territories mod.  DOTT starts in mid 80’s when Vince is starting his expansion.

TEW and games like it focus on the booking and business end.   I prefer Wrestlings Finest where you make the matches and watch them play out (text based, not vid).   They have thousands of wrestlers rated, so you can easily set up an 80’s/90’s promotion, (plus recently added ROH and AEW wrestlers for fans of the more current stuff).  

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:25 PM, vcczar said:

Actually bought this without seeing your recommendation first- I am loving it, though my 2011 mod keeps crashing which stinks because the era of me watching WWE was when I was between 5 and 11 (2005-2011) 

23 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Actually bought this without seeing your recommendation first- I am loving it, though my 2011 mod keeps crashing which stinks because the era of me watching WWE was when I was between 5 and 11 (2005-2011) 

I currently have like 80 wrestlers in 1987 of which 30 of them are injured. I keep having barbed wire matches. I've had one wrestler retire because of a leg injury. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I currently have like 80 wrestlers in 1987 of which 30 of them are injured. I keep having barbed wire matches. I've had one wrestler retire because of a leg injury. 

lol I found out the issue I needed to respond to mail request.

This game is incredile. The old smackdown vs raw games use to have a GM mode and I played it so much as a kid, reminds me of that.

On 3/9/2022 at 4:49 PM, Patine said:

When it comes to single-player RPG/adventure/character interactive/sleuthing, etc. games, I miss the days when creating your own character, with your name, relevant demographics, career/class/job/role, and skills and other traits to interact with the plot and the world was the norm. Now they're practically unheard of, except for MMO's, where they're a necessity by nature. I largely stopped playing such games entirely (except MMO's, which I still play a couple of) because of not liking to have a pre-made character, or even a pre-made tabula rasa with only one fit as a character type. Otherwise, I might have tried this game. 😞

Got some recommendations? The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is Morrowind (choose gender, race, class, skills, star sign, and answer a few questions about your background at the beginning)

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

I've heard of Morrowind, but have never tried it. Games I have played that do match up to my views that are fun (if old) are the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate series, Ultima I-IV, Final Fantasy I, the whole Might & Magic series, the whole Bard's Tale series (a weaker franchise, in my opinion), and a few others. As I said, all on the older side (as I believe Morrowind is, if I'm not mistaken), and thus GOG or Steam renditions to play on newer computers are, of course, needed.

Baldur's Gate! A game we have in common! Yay!