The Political Lounge

Steam Game Recommendation

vcczar

26 minutes ago, Patine said:

I've heard of Morrowind, but have never tried it. Games I have played that do match up to my views that are fun (if old) are the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate series, Ultima I-IV, Final Fantasy I, the whole Might & Magic series, the whole Bard's Tale series (a weaker franchise, in my opinion), and a few others. As I said, all on the older side (as I believe Morrowind is, if I'm not mistaken), and thus GOG or Steam renditions to play on newer computers are, of course, needed.

I did quite enjoy Bards Tale back in the day. The humor was fantastic as I recall it.

Just now, Patine said:

Yes. But there's another game by the same company I just am unable to play. Mass Effect. The fact that your character, regardless of gender or profession, is always named, "Commander Shepherd," bugs me to all Hell, but prevents any immersion or enjoyment. 😛 

You're missing out! Lol

Mass Effect is worth hearing Commander Shepherd!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Yes. But there's another game by the same company I just am unable to play. Mass Effect. The fact that your character, regardless of gender or profession, is always named, "Commander Shepherd," bugs me to all Hell, but prevents any immersion or enjoyment. 😛 

Its Shepard! If that's any more comfort... 😛

2 hours ago, Patine said:

I've heard of Morrowind, but have never tried it. Games I have played that do match up to my views that are fun (if old) are the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate series, Ultima I-IV, Final Fantasy I, the whole Might & Magic series, the whole Bard's Tale series (a weaker franchise, in my opinion), and a few others. As I said, all on the older side (as I believe Morrowind is, if I'm not mistaken), and thus GOG or Steam renditions to play on newer computers are, of course, needed.

Hey I just finished Final Fantasy I like, literally yesterday. It's a plenty fun game with good basic RPG gameplay and that classic overly complicated FF-type storyline. Good start to a great series!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Pronounced the same. And the same as my RL last name. And given it's voice-overs, and not a pure text dialog game, that's what matters, isn't it?

I now wonder if there is any mod out there that just completely changes the last name. Sad thing is itd require voice overs for over thousands of hours of story dialogue, and a thousand more for potential dialogue lol. 

27 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Hey I just finished Final Fantasy I like, literally yesterday. It's a plenty fun game with good basic RPG gameplay and that classic overly complicated FF-type storyline. Good start to a great series!

FFX? 🙂

9 hours ago, Patine said:

Pronounced the same. And the same as my RL last name. And given it's voice-overs, and not a pure text dialog game, that's what matters, isn't it?

11 hours ago, Patine said:

11 hours ago, Kitten said:

You're missing out! Lol

Mass Effect is worth hearing Commander Shepherd!

It had to be a certain last name simply because of the voice acting -- can't make up a random name because so many characters need to say it, which requires that the actors recorded it.

That said, while i consider Mass Effect 2 to be one of the greatest games I've ever played (LOVED the suicide mission so much), Mass Effect 3 was a steaming pile of dogshit.

• Based 1

21 hours ago, Kitten said:

FFX? 🙂

The best in the series!

I also HIGHLY recommend Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 for die-hard FF fans. You have to emulate it on the PSP, but it's one of my favorite games of all time. If anyone here has played it before please let me know that I'm not alone in my high praise, haha

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cal said:

The best in the series!

I also HIGHLY recommend Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 for die-hard FF fans. You have to emulate it on the PSP, but it's one of my favorite games of all time. If anyone here has played it before please let me know that I'm not alone in my high praise, haha

I have a modded psp!

2 hours ago, Cal said:

The best in the series!

I have a modded psp!

2 hours ago, Cal said:

The best in the series!

I never played Dissidia 012 but I played the original PSP Dissidia (of which I'm pretty sure 012 is just a sequel to) and I can't sing its praises enough. It was pretty much my go-to vacation/road trip game for a good while. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

@themiddlepolitical I might make a mod for Pro Wrestling Sim that has the US Presidents in a wrestling league. 

Championships could be neat too

You could also separate brands into Republicans, Dems and Independents!

Just now, Patine said:

I'm wondering if this game covers the big Mexican Lucha Libre and the Japanese wrestling promotions in the '80's, where a lot of WWE and NWO stars started their careers.

image.png.bf5809604abce1c7d3ec30cbe8b48146.png

This is what the modern day mod includes, The 80s mod does the same for its era

@themiddlepolitical and anyone else interested. I've made all the presidents as wrestlers. Still need to add photos and do other things for the league. Did a test run for a month of game's time. Here's what happened:

• Joe Biden left the league but rejoined immediately to become the owner. 
  • Bill Clinton was caught using soft drugs.
  • James A Garfield started a fight with Millard Fillmore backstage. 

Now, I just set the CPU to simulate through a few years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@themiddlepolitical and anyone else interested. I've made all the presidents as wrestlers. Still need to add photos and do other things for the league. Did a test run for a month of game's time. Here's what happened:

• Joe Biden left the league but rejoined immediately to become the owner. 
  • Bill Clinton was caught using soft drugs.
  • James A Garfield started a fight with Millard Fillmore backstage. 

Now, I just set the CPU to simulate through a few years. 

Championships can be Republican champ Democrat Champ, and the Presidential champ (which would have the most prestige)

On 3/23/2022 at 6:25 AM, vcczar said:

Bill Clinton was caught using soft drugs.

How accurate...

On 3/9/2022 at 2:02 PM, MrPotatoTed said:

Not a wrestling fan, but my current Steam addiction is Project Zomboid.  Ton of fun.

You can set up a base anywhere on the enormous map, modeled after the state of Kentucky.  I tried out a prison break scenario — but after getting out of my own cell, I decided to set up my camp in a cushier cell because outside is super dangerous.  I’ve got my room set up really nice, feels defensible, I’ve been raiding the rest of the prison for food and medicine, I even moved a TV into my cell.  I feel confident I can last in here for at least a month, maybe longer.  The real challenge will be that the power will eventually go out, and if I try to use a generator indoors I can die from the fumes.  But there is a roof area I can access, so I might move my mini fridge out there...assuming I can find a generator at all.

My precious survival record is only 8 days (had a great defensible cabin but wanted to stockpile more food until my tomato seeds sprouted.  Unfortunately, got killed on the supply run.

My longest survival so far.  I set up on the top floor of an apartment building alongside a canal.  Lots of food in the various apartments, lots of books to help educate me on various skills, and even though I started the game after the water had already been shut off, there was still plenty of water available sitting in the pipes.  Plus I used the canal for bathing and laundry.  

There was a girl (NPC) living on the first floor who boarded up all the first floor windows, so our building was nice and secure.  After clearing our building, I eventually went across the street to where a huge factory was.  Lots of tools and supplies, but also lots of zombies.  I'd head in, kill a dozen zombies, call it a day and go home.  Come back the next day, kill another dozen, rinse, repeat.

Unfortunately though, I got a little cocky and went out an exit I hadn't previously cleared.  Zombies came from every angle.  I should have come back the way I came, but one mistake is all it takes in this game.

RIP whatever your name was.  You had a good run.  (My best run so far).

image.png.fd98d10b70edc8950e7ca849e938c5ae.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

My longest survival so far.  I set up on the top floor of an apartment building alongside a canal.  Lots of food in the various apartments, lots of books to help educate me on various skills, and even though I started the game after the water had already been shut off, there was still plenty of water available sitting in the pipes.  Plus I used the canal for bathing and laundry.  

There was a girl (NPC) living on the first floor who boarded up all the first floor windows, so our building was nice and secure.  After clearing our building, I eventually went across the street to where a huge factory was.  Lots of tools and supplies, but also lots of zombies.  I'd head in, kill a dozen zombies, call it a day and go home.  Come back the next day, kill another dozen, rinse, repeat.

Unfortunately though, I got a little cocky and went out an exit I hadn't previously cleared.  Zombies came from every angle.  I should have come back the way I came, but one mistake is all it takes in this game.

RIP whatever your name was.  You had a good run.  (My best run so far).

image.png.fd98d10b70edc8950e7ca849e938c5ae.png

What's the longest anyone has ever survived?

54 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I've heard the record is five years -- but there are so many mods and settings you can change to make the world more or less dangerous, that it might not be an apples-to-apples comparison.

Is it possible to win?