The Political Lounge

Who will be the next great world power?

vcczar

Who will be the next great world power?   

27 members have voted

1. 1. Arguably, the only two world powers are currently the US and China (some might include Russia, India, or the European Union, but I have reasons for excluding them). Which of the two world powers will likely cease to be a reigning world power first?

2. 2. Should the US and/or China fall from being a reigning world power, which nation is most likely to surpass the US and/or China?

• Russia
    • India
    • Brazil
    • Mexico
    • Nigeria
    • Turkey
    • Poland
    • Germany
    • UK
    • France
    • The European Union
    • Canada
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Indonesia
    • Japan
    • Other (mention below)
  3. 3. If you could choose where you were born and would live, which would you prefer?

• Live in a reigning world power, such as the US or China
    • Live in an up & coming potential world power, such as India, Brazil, Nigeria, or Mexico
    • Live in a nation making little attempt at international power by focusing on domestic quality of life and happiness, such as Finland, Sweden, and Norway.
    • Live in a nation that is off the radar of most people, such as the Maldives, Lesotho, and Papua New Guinea.
    • Other (mention below)
  4. 4. How much does it matter to you that the US is the leading (or shared with China) world power? Pick the one that most closely resembles your thoughts.

• 100% matters! And we should do everything it takes to remain as one.
    • It matters, mostly because I don't yet trust our rivals. I'd be okay with another free society (or freer society) taking the lead, however.
    • I understand that there may some necessities for our status, but being a superpower is low on my list of priorities for what our country needs to do.
    • 0% matters! Many of the flaws in our government and our society are based on our constant desire for international power.
    • Other (Only if the top 4 do not in any way resemble your thoughts. Please elaborate below.

1 minute ago, DakotaHale said:

That’s me

Reminder that every nation only exists because I allow them to. I can change their status in an instant. 

Speaking of I think it’s time to have a chat with this Mr. Vladimir guy because I haven’t been getting my packages of Russian creatine supplements

• Based 1

Just now, Patine said:

I have no idea what that word means. I don't think it even exists. And, I am quite certain I am not one, regardless.

larbil

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

Just now, Patine said:

I have never of that snippet of nonsense, either. What are you two digging up in the backyard, there?

idk my backyard is full of grass so im digging up that ig

• Based 1

As always, I take my cues from The Next 100 Years.  It did an amazing job of predicting the invasion of Ukraine in detail, for a book written in 2009 for example.

It predicts that both Russia and China decline (mostly due to economic pressures).  Poland, Turkey, and Japan rise in their wake, but Poland holds it the longest so I chose Poland.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

As always, I take my cues from The Next 100 Years.  It did an amazing job of predicting the invasion of Ukraine in detail, for a book written in 2009 for example.

It predicts that both Russia and China decline (mostly due to economic pressures).  Poland, Turkey, and Japan rise in their wake, but Poland holds it the longest so I chose Poland.

It's definitely an interesting book. I like the points, and of course, a lot of it has, and may indeed turn out right. I just don't know. I've always thought India is the future superpower. Once the country has more widespread technological access... more funding for national development, I really think India will be the superpower of the future. They just have a lot of modernizing to do. 

Edited by Pringles
  • Like 1

Just now, Pringles said:

It's definitely an interesting book. I like the points, and of course, a lot of it has, and may indeed turn out right. I just don't know. I've always though India is the future superpower. Once the country has more widespread technological access... more funding for national development, I really think India will be the superpower of the future. They just have a lot of modernizing to do. 

As the book indicates, it’s in US interest to keep India and Pakistan roughly balancing each other out so they remain pitted against each other without either side conquering the other and then spreading farther.  As such, I don’t expect much US assistance for modernizing India.

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

As the book indicates, it’s in US interest to keep India and Pakistan roughly balancing each other out so they remain pitted against each other without either side conquering the other and then spreading farther.  As such, I don’t expect much US assistance for modernizing India.

Very true. The good old keep your rivals fighting each other and nobody will surpass you. I just wonder when India will reach those capabilities themselves. One debacle we may have to face is helping them in order to prevent them from fully aligning with other countries... like cringe Russia or China. 😛 

As far as I remember looking into, I think India has condemned the Ukrainian invasion, but they haven't been as forceful like we have of course. India has a large history with Russia. So it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Very true. The good old keep your rivals fighting each other and nobody will surpass you. I just wonder when India will reach those capabilities themselves. One debacle we may have to face is helping them in order to prevent them from fully aligning with other countries... like cringe Russia or China. 😛 

As far as I remember looking into, I think India has condemned the Ukrainian invasion, but they haven't been as forceful like we have of course. India has a large history with Russia. So it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds. 

Fair point!  There’s already suggestion China is aligning with Russia.  I hadn’t considered whether India would as well.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Fair point!  There’s already suggestion China is aligning with Russia.  I hadn’t considered whether India would as well.

India is gonna face a make or break moment with Russia. Russia depends on China right now. India and China do not get along. Will India wait until Russia chooses, or chooses to go with the US or EU ahead of time? I think it'll take a prolonged break, but eventually India will realize they can't count on Russia if China seriously means business.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

I remind you, you've admitted yourself the dismissive stance and downplaying the book has of growingly dominant socio-political movements, on left and right, that are literally redefining the nation, it's society, it's culture, it's corporate landscape, it's politics, it's government, and, ultimately, it's commitment, if any, to maintaining the core strategies, globally, you've also said, yourself, the book is predecated to the U.S. maintaining.

I don’t remember “admitting a dismissive stance”.

It does make a strong case that the US will stay on top from at least 2009 - 2109, based largely on its geographic location and dominance of every ocean — neither of which is likely to end within the next century.

As for individual political movements, these things are important in the moment and not particularly important on a scale of 100 years.  

It does dive deep into demographic changes for the US and many other major countries, predicting most countries will face a population decline and what this could mean for technology, military, and social policies — in due time, for example, it suggests we’ll be trying to get MORE immigrants from Mexico, and what this will do to US-Mexico relations (ultimately a war around 2100).

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

I disagree. The United States, and the world, would be a far different (and unrecognizable place) if this statement had any truth to it. Or do you honestly believe the current movements shaking the pillars of the nation, and any successor or derivative viewpoints and movements, will inherently be more transitional and have less long-term impact than past defining ideologies and movements?

We had an insane President for four years and a global pandemic that killed a shit ton of people.

And...not a whole ton changed on a broad scale.  We’re already more or less back to relative “normal” just like 18 months later.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

What alternative Universe did you just step in from, where a sense of, "normalcy," (a very subjective term, anyways) has been restored in the U.S. Having an over-the-hill, boring, highly establishment President does not mitigate or change everything else, or magically make everything to your definition of normal. The cozy suburb you've described yourself living in, and others like it, seem, unlike in the '80's and '90's, the exception, and not the rule, of the American communities to judge the pulse of the nation by, socially, and in it's zeitgeist. The Arthurian mantra that, "the Sovereign and the Land are One," is not a real world thing.

I don’t even know what you said, but I actually live here and other than inflation, things are more or less similar to the Obama years again on a grand scale.

Of course, there are still MAGA folks around stirring up shit and they’ll likely win again at some point, but generally speaking they’ll have as little century-long impact as Trump did.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

There is also the much more radical branches of the American Progressive movement, the divide on a socio-political level is more exacerbated by far than in the Obama years (not really much less than under Trump), a far more toxic and unreliable media (and that doesn't even try to be trustworthy), a cesspool of social media, more general distrust by the population of their Government in general by Americans than at any point since the Vietnam War, and an immensely high - and inexplicable - tendency to BELIEVE myths and lies, socially and politically. You forgot all of those stellar aspects. And they don't appear to be going anywhere. In fact, it seems they're just getting started.

Check back with me in 100 years, we’ll see who was right.