The Political Lounge

Paradox Games Stories

vcczar

What are some interesting things that you've seen when playing Paradox games, such as EU4, CK3, V2, or HOI4?

I remember one time in EU2, George Washington was elected Holy Roman Emperor. 

I've had Mongolian America when the Mongols colonized somewhere in the Western Hemisphere. Forget exactly where. (EU4)

Also in EU, I've seen an empire from India taking most of Siberia. 

In CK2, I remember a 80 year old female monarch who was married to her own grandson. The also both had a lot of diseases and disfigurements and such.

For HOI4, I haven't seen anything unusual happen, but for fun, I once played as Mexico, declared war on the US and was conquered within months. For some reason, following the treaty, the US controlled 2/3 of Mexico and the bottom 1/3 of the state was occupied by the UK in clear violation of the Monroe Doctrine. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

What are some interesting things that you've seen when playing Paradox games, such as EU4, CK3, V2, or HOI4?

I remember one time in EU2, George Washington was elected Holy Roman Emperor. 

I've had Mongolian America when the Mongols colonized somewhere in the Western Hemisphere. Forget exactly where. (EU4)

Also in EU, I've seen an empire from India taking most of Siberia. 

In CK2, I remember a 80 year old female monarch who was married to her own grandson. The also both had a lot of diseases and disfigurements and such.

For HOI4, I haven't seen anything unusual happen, but for fun, I once played as Mexico, declared war on the US and was conquered within months. For some reason, following the treaty, the US controlled 2/3 of Mexico and the bottom 1/3 of the state was occupied by the UK in clear violation of the Monroe Doctrine. 

In HOI4, you have to turn off historical playthrough to get some of the crazy scenarios. Communist France is a fun one, especially if Communist Spain wins the civil war. Italy going at it alone without Germany's power to try and re-establish the Roman Empire. Turn the US fascist (which then goes down the Monroe Doctrine tree and turns the rest of the Americas fascist).

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

In HOI4, you have to turn off historical playthrough to get some of the crazy scenarios. Communist France is a fun one, especially if Communist Spain wins the civil war. Italy going at it alone without Germany's power to try and re-establish the Roman Empire. Turn the US fascist (which then goes down the Monroe Doctrine tree and turns the rest of the Americas fascist).

How do you turn off historical playthrough?

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

How do you turn off historical playthrough?

Nevermind. I figured it out.

4 hours ago, Patine said:

Once again, game stories are specifically limited to one game company and excluded for all others by stated commission of the thread title, probably unnecessarily. I can't grasp the feeling of the need for this sense of exclusionism, when so many great nation-building and -managing games are out there by other companies. This is a continuing, and inexplicable, trend. Of course, thread starters have the right to do so, but I have the right to point out this odd trend, myself.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm sorry, @MrPotatoTed, but I do find it a consistently annoying trend in a vast majority of such threads. And, as I am one of very few who has shown a favouritism for other companies in this broad and large genre of computer games across many companies, it feels almost like a specifically targeted exclusion, though I haven't outright made such allegation, the feeling is still conspicuously there. And, I did acknowledge the right of thread starters to do so, if you read, above, but I also said that I had the right to make a gripe, of which I was planning no more than a tokenist one, but I felt your emote needed a response, as it may have been based a false view of intent.

I would recommend you look past the title in this case, and just tell us about some of your favorite stories from Civ 2, and Age of Empires. Given how much you praise these games I'm sure you have plenty, and I'm also sure that nobody would really mind if you talked about them even though the title only specifies Paradox games. It may not be in line with the exact titling of the post, but it is in line with the spirit of the post which is to get people talking about some of the wildest things they have seen while playing grand strategy games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pringles said:

Here's a lovely moment I had in a HOI4 game...

5DB79C4F5E5156E35430C3A84236D6EEFE1D7421 (1920×1080)

Mussolini's nightmare.

53 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

In hoi4 Germany reinstated the Kaiser, UK empowered the king's party. Germany took control of Russia. The UK ended up being a big fat nothing burger, while the United States, led by McArthur would control most of Central and South America.

I noticed that if the game goes beyond 1945, that the countries become really passive, no matter whatever landgrabbing took place. I wish there was a way where the nations would react off one another. They seem to still wait for scripts or something.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I noticed that if the game goes beyond 1945, that the countries become really passive, no matter whatever landgrabbing took place. I wish there was a way where the nations would react off one another. They seem to still wait for scripts or something.

If you download the road to 56 mod it extends the game play/war/aggression but yeah after 45-47 for me the game tends to either end up in a stalemate or they do become passive like you said.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Restoring, or keeping in power, the Kaiser in Germany seems a very popular alternate history concept for that period, and I'm not quite sure why... 🥴

I'm not either. Tbh I'm more interesting in the alternate history of having the Tsar in Russia during that time.

• Based 1