The Political Lounge

"Always stand on principle...even if you stand alone." -- A Single Player 1772 Adventure

Faction leaders!

EllsworthCPU keeps Oliver Ellsworth.  Gains Crisis Manager!

FranklinCPU drops PA Governor Benjamin Franklin, as Franklin doesn't have justice expertise.  He'll go with our economic savior Benjamin Chew as faction leader instead.  Chew gains Leadership.

PinckneyCPU keeps Charles Coatesworth Pinckney.  Pinckney gets harmonious.  

JayCPU keeps John Jay.  +1 Governing, Kingmaker, Integrity.  

@10centjimmy keeps George Washington.  Gains leadership, +1 Legislative, +1 Governing.  Not too shabby!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Faction leaders!

EllsworthCPU keeps Oliver Ellsworth.  Gains Crisis Manager!

FranklinCPU drops PA Governor Benjamin Franklin, as Franklin doesn't have justice expertise.  He'll go with our economic savior Benjamin Chew as faction leader instead.  Chew gains Leadership.

PinckneyCPU keeps Charles Coatesworth Pinckney.  Pinckney gets harmonious.  

JayCPU keeps John Jay.  +1 Governing, Kingmaker, Integrity.  

@10centjimmy keeps George Washington.  Gains leadership, +1 Legislative, +1 Governing.  Not too shabby!

Alright alright alright

• Haha 1

HancockCPU keeps John Hancock.  No gains.  (Fun fact: Despite being faction leader four times in a row, Hancock is still obscure.)

RandolphCPU keeps Peyton Randolph.  Gains Incoherent.  Whoops!  

BooneCPU keeps Daniel Boone.  +1 Command, +1 Governing.

PaineCPU keeps MA Governor Samuel Adams.  +1 Legislative.

LeeCPU keeps Richard Henry Lee.  Gains Incoherent.

• Like 1

PinckneyCPU Foreign Committee Chairman John Rutledge names Benjamin Franklin as our first Minister to France -- but Franklin declines the offer, preferring to remain as Governor of Pennsylvania!

PinckneyCPU then names BooneCPU scoundrel Thomas Jefferson as our first Minister to France instead!  Having nothing else to do with his time, Jefferson will accept the nomination.

No flushed out rules yet on how CPU votes on nominees during Continental Congress, so Jefferson is approved!

BooneCPU gains 10 points.

Thankfully, the fact that Jefferson is controversial does not immediately caused a crisis with France.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:20 PM, MrPotatoTed said:

Whoops, I forgot to assign random traits post-draft.

Blue1: Richard Bassett gets Orator
Blue2: Henry Southard gets Puritan
Blue3: Squire Boone gets Uncharismatic, Thomas Heyward Jr gets Teflon
Blue4: John Patten gets Harmonious.

Red team gets the shaft. ;c)

As I'm doing the same thing on my end, I have to wonder why you did do the random new alt states to pol?

20 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Hi Lars, not sure I understood the question.  Can you ask again?

The rules say that right after the five random rookie pols getting traits, five random pols get alternate states.

• Like 1

RETIREMENT ANNOUNCEMENTS AND DEATHS 1778 -1780

@10centjimmy Francis Lewis retires, 65, to become a lobbyist.

EllsworthCPU NH Matthew Thornton, 64, announces he will retire and be removed from the game at the end of the current congressional term.  Due to family reasons.

EllsworthCPU RI Governor William Greene Jr dies in office!  Malaria, 50 years old.  (WILL NEED A NEW RI GOV)

FranklinCPU James Wilson dies, 36, of the plague.

JayCPU Matthew Griswold dies, 64, yellow fever.

RandolphCPU RI Delegate to the Continental Congress John Collins dies, plague.  (Per our new rules, his seat will be empty until the next election.)

PaineCPU George Taylor retires, 62, for undefined reasons.

LeeCPU SC Delegate Thomas Sumter dies, 44, malaria.  (Seat will be empty until the next election).

7 minutes ago, Lars said:

The rules say that right after the five random rookie pols getting traits, five random pols get alternate states.

Oh yeah, I didn't realize that initially.  Later, I realized my mistake and added the alternate states as well.  You'll see it in a later post.

That said, five states feels like a lot.  I might consider proposing a smaller number.

• Thanks 1

GENERAL EVENTS 1778-1780

LOSS OF WILL POWER: We're getting some internal reports that William Moultrie has been engaged in some clandestine activities. We think we're able to squash any rumors from leaking out at the moment, but they could eventually reemerge.

PinckneyCPU William Moultrie gains Controversial.

SCRIPTED EVENTS 1778 - 1780

Dunmore's Proclamation:  The Earl of Dunmore, Royal Governor of Virginia has proclaimed martial law and announced freedom for any slave that joins the royal army. Other colonies led by royal governors in the the slave states may follow suit.

President Thomas Willing will need to respond.

Claim Vermont as a Territory:  The Republic of Vermont had been claimed by New York, but the Republic preferred independence over being a part of that state. Now, some in the Republic, possibly fearing a takeover by Britain, would accept a US claim on their Republic, only so long as they are eventually made into their own state.

American Spy Nathan Hale Escapes British Captors:  One of our spies, Nathan Hale, managed to elude his captors.

This will make Nathan Hale a draftable politician once he turns about 25 years old.  (In real life, he was hung by the British at 21.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

GENERAL EVENTS 1778-1780

LOSS OF WILL POWER: We're getting some internal reports that William Moultrie has been engaged in some clandestine activities. We think we're able to squash any rumors from leaking out at the moment, but they could eventually reemerge.

PinckneyCPU William Moultrie gains Controversial.

Solid pun

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

SCRIPTED EVENTS 1778 - 1780

Dunmore's Proclamation:  The Earl of Dunmore, Royal Governor of Virginia has proclaimed martial law and announced freedom for any slave that joins the royal army. Other colonies led by royal governors in the the slave states may follow suit.

Claim Vermont as a Territory:  The Republic of Vermont had been claimed by New York, but the Republic preferred independence over being a part of that state. Now, some in the Republic, possibly fearing a takeover by Britain, would accept a US claim on their Republic, only so long as they are eventually made into their own state.

American Spy Nathan Hale Escapes British Captors:  One of our spies, Nathan Hale, managed to elude his captors.

This will make Nathan Hale a draftable politician once he turns about 25 years old.  (In real life, he was hung by the British at 21.)

Dunmore Proclamations:  FranklinCPU President Thomas Willing says " Let the slave states deal with this on their own."

Claim Vermont as a Territory: FranklinCPU President Thomas Willing says, "Vermont would just be a land grab!  No!"

We'll have the states vote on Willing's responses.  @10centjimmy

Also, @vcczar, if they do reject Vermont...does the event fire again one day?  Or is Vermont independent forever?

Edited by MrPotatoTed

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Also, @vcczar, if they do reject Vermont...does the event fire again one day?  Or is Vermont independent forever?

I guess it's forever unless I make another event to annex it later. If that's desired, then someone can propose it to the suggested fixes. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Dunmore Proclamations:  FranklinCPU President Thomas Willing says " Let the slave states deal with this on their own."

Claim Vermont as a Territory: FranklinCPU President Thomas Willing says, "Vermont would just be a land grab!  No!"

We'll have the states vote on Willing's responses.  @10centjimmy

Agree with response to Dunmore 

Disagree with Vermont, it should be a US state!

• Like 1

Leaving Dunmore Proclamation to the Slave States:
Ellsworth: AYE
FranklinCPU: AYE
PinckneyCPU: NAY
JayCPU: AYE

HancockCPU: AYE
RandolphCPU: AYE
BooneCPU: NAY
PaineCPU: AYE
LeeCPU: NAY

Ignoring Vermont's petition for becoming a US Territory:

EllsworthCPU: AYE
FranklinCPU: AYE
PinckneyCPU:  AYE
JayCPU: AYE

HancockCPU: NAY
RandolphCPU: NAY
BooneCPU: NAY
PaineCPU: NAY
LeeCPU: NAY

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

I don't think there should be another event. This could be the first major change that reels players in. 

I'm of two minds.  Maybe an event, but way later, and low chance or something.  Like math it so it's not likely to have another shot to rejoin, but it could happen one out of 10 times if you done screwed up.

Or, alternatively, give Vermont another chance if the US takes Canada in 1812.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2