The Political Lounge

"Always stand on principle...even if you stand alone." -- A Single Player 1772 Adventure

15 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Red3 Benjamin Franklin takes John Bayard as a protege.

Red4 Samuel Huntington takes Jonathan Trumbull Sr as a protege.

Blue3 Patrick Henry takes John Tyler Sr as a protege.

@10centjimmy if you're available, can you populate these three on the kingmaker protege sheet?

I think next is for me to assign cards, which will take a while.  Thanks!

Forgot that kingmakers give their proteges a little something.

FranklinCPU Benjamin Franklin gives Bayard +1 Admin, foreign affairs expertise, Civil Rights interest, and efficient.

PinckneyCPU Samuel Huntington gives Trumbull Sr +1 Judicial, agriculture expertise, and provincial.

BooneCPU Patrick Henry gives Tyler Sr Justice expertise, RW Activist, Propogandist.

Time for the reissuing of cards!

The only thing that could have possibly changed anything is if the one conversion and/or those little gains from kingmaker-protege relationships were enough to tilt something.  But let's find out!

Nope.

Nothing changed.

@10centjimmy: George Washington -- Moderates -- Law and Order

EllsworthCPU: Oliver Ellsworth -- Moderates, Liberals, Progressives, LW Populists -- Human Rights

FranklinCPU: Benjamin Franklin -- Moderates -- Law and Order 

PinckneyCPU: Charles Coatsworth Pinckney: Conservatives -- Nationalists -- Big Corporations

JayCPU: John Jay: Moderates -- Human Rights
---------------------
HancockCPU: John Hancock: Moderates -- Military Industrial Complex

RandolphCPU: Peyton Randolph: Moderates -- Military Industrial Complex

BooneCPU: Daniel Boone: Traditionalists, RW Populists -- Expansionists, RW Activists -- Big Agriculture

PaineCPU: Thomas Paine: Moderates -- Civil Rights -- Human Rights

LeeCPU: Richard Henry Lee: Traditionalists, Conservatives -- Big Agriculture

• Like 1

Holding the most delegates for the convention, FranklinCPU gets to name the President of our First Continental Congress.  

FranklinCPU appoints...Benjamin Franklin as the first ever President of the First Continental Congress!  (This may represent our first significant Point of Departure from the real time line -- in real history, the first President was Peyton Randolph.)

FranklinCPU +50

• Like 1

As President of the First Continental Congress, Benjamin Franklin announces the committee members!

DOMESTIC
Chair: @10centjimmy Nathanial Gorham
@10centjimmy Walt Livingston
FranklinCPU Robert Goldsborough
PinckneyCPU Thomas McKean
PinckneyCPU Daniel Carroll
JayCPU William Livingston
HancockCPU Horatio Gates
RandolphCPU John Collins
BooneCPU Patrick Henry

FOREIGN
Chair: FranklinCPU Henry Middleton
@10centjimmy Daniel Morgan
PinckneyCPU Samuel Huntington
JayCPU William heath
JayCPU William Moore
JayCPU Benjamin Huntington
JayCPU Philemon Dickinson
RandolphCPU Robert Brown
BooneCPU Jeremiah Von Rensselaer
LeeCPU Edward Teflair

ECONOMIC
Chair: LeeCPU Josiah Bartlett
EllsworthCPU Thomas McKean
FranklinCPU Thomas Tillinghast
PinckneyCPU John Rutledge
PinckneyCPU Gunning Bedford Sr
RandolphCPU William Smith
RandolphCPU Robert Howe
BooneCPU Thomas Jefferson
PaineCPU Hugh Williamson

JUDICIAL
Chair: @10centjimmy Lewis Morris
EllsworthCPU Samuel Livermore
EllsworthCPU Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer
EllworthCPU Lyman Hall
FranklinCPU Artemis Ward
FranklinCPU George Clymer
FranklinCPU Ralph Izard
PinckneyCPU Alexander Martin
PinckneyCPU Tristram Dalton
JayCPU Matthew Griswold

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

As President of the First Continental Congress, Benjamin Franklin announces the committee members!

DOMESTIC
Chair: @10centjimmy Nathanial Gorham
@10centjimmy Walt Livingston
FranklinCPU Robert Goldsborough
PinckneyCPU Thomas McKean
JayCPU William Livingston
HancockCPU Horatio Gates
RandolphCPU John Collins
BooneCPU Patrick Henry

FOREIGN
Chair: FranklinCPU Henry Middleton
@10centjimmy Daniel Morgan
PinckneyCPU Samuel Huntington
JayCPU William heath
JayCPU William Moore
JayCPU Benjamin Huntington
RandolphCPU Robert Brown
BooneCPU Jeremiah Von Rensselaer
LeeCPU Edward Teflair

ECONOMIC
Chair: LeeCPU Josiah Bartlett
EllsworthCPU Thomas McKean
FranklinCPU Thomas Tillinghast
PinckneyCPU John Rutledge
PinckneyCPU Gunning Bedford Sr
RandolphCPU William Smith
RandolphCPU Robert Howe
BooneCPU Thomas Jefferson
PaineCPU Hugh Williamson

JUDICIAL
Chair: @10centjimmy Lewis Morris
EllworthCPU Lyman Hall
FranklinCPU Artemis Ward
FranklinCPU Ralph Izard
JayCPU Matthew Griswold

@10centjimmy Chair Nathaniel Gorham gains environment expertise.
FranklinCPU Chair Henry Middleton gains military expertise.
LeeCPU Chair Josiah Bartlett gains welfare expertise.

Moderates like seeing Gorham running the domestic committee.  Moderate enthusiasm +1 Red.

@10centjimmy +100
FranklinCPU +50
LeeCPU +50

@10centjimmy Walt Livingston gains environment expertise.
FranklinCPU Robert Goldsborough gains media expertise.
PinckneyCPU Thomas McKean Education.
PinckneyCPU Daniel Carroll Environment.
JayCPU William Livingston Environment.
HancockCPU Horatio Gates Environment.
RandolphCPU John Collins Healthcare.
BooneCPU Patrick Henry Science.

EllsworthCPU Thomas McKean Trade
FranklinCPU Thomas Tillinghast +1 Legislative, Transportation
PinckneyCPU John Rutledge Labor
PinckneyCPU Gunning Bedford Sr Transportation
RandolphCPU William Smith Welfare
RandolphCPU Robert Howe Economics
BooneCPU Thomas Jefferson Business
PaineCPU Hugh Williamson Labor

EllworthCPU Lyman Hall
FranklinCPU Artemis Ward
FranklinCPU Ralph Izard
JayCPU Matthew Griswold

All get justice expertise, if they don't already have it.

EllsworthCPU keeps Oliver Ellsworth.  Loses obscure, gains pliable.

FranklinCPU keeps Benjamin Franklin.  Gains leadership.

PinckneyCPU keeps Charles Coatesworth Pinckney.  Gains +1 Command -- he now has 4 command, not too shabby for an underage guy on the career track. Ha.  

JayCPU keeps John Jay.  No changes.

HancockCPU keeps John Hancock.  No changes.

RandolphCPU keeps Peyton Randolph.  No changes.

BooneCPU keeps Daniel Boone.  Loses obscure, gains RW Activist.

PaineCPU drops Thomas Paine.  (He was never eligible in the first place, wrong ideology.  Whoops!)  This is a weird faction -- on paper, they should be the far left faction.  But quirks in the rules and the fact that they have ONE more moderate politician than liberals means they're just liberals.  Even though they have the most progressives and LW Populists. Haha.  Anyway, needing a moderate leader, they'll choose John Patten as their new faction leader.  Patten loses obscure, gains leadership.

LeeCPU keeps Richard Henry Lee.  Lee gains +1 Legis and +1 Admin.  Harmonious.  

1774 -1776 Random Events!

Scandalous Office Holder: Did you see the news? Thomas Jefferson resigned from his office almost as soon as the scandal was released to the press. At least Jefferson had the integrity to admit fault and step aside. We're told that Jefferson won't retire from politics, however, which renders them only fit for appointed office.

BooneCPU Thomas Jefferson resigns from the first Continental Congress!  He remains in the game but gains a permanent -1 in all future elections.  We'll leave his seat vacant for now, until the next election (since there's no governors to appoint a new one yet.)

Abilities Increase: 
I had the same thought as you did. I completely forgot Richard Montgomery even existed. Now Montgomery has got the makings of a true powerplayer.

HancockCPU Richard Montgomery gets the Hiester Treatment!  +1 Command, Governing, Legislative, Judicial, Admin, and Military.  (He's now a 3 in military, had a 0 everywhere else previously).

• Like 1

I don't remember seeing this in the original 1774 playthrough, but when the constitution is drafted, is the requirement that the president be US born part of that, or is that just assumed to be the case?  With Montgomery on the path to be the new Heister, I'm wondering if the fact he is Irish is going to limit his rise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

I don't remember seeing this in the original 1774 playthrough, but when the constitution is drafted, is the requirement that the president be US born part of that, or is that just assumed to be the case?  With Montgomery on the path to be the new Heister, I'm wondering if the fact he is Irish is going to limit his rise.

I believe that is part of the Constitution that is optional for the player. Essentially, when it comes time to write the constitution, players will be able to vote for options on each of the articles, one of which is the option to not require the President to be born in thr US. You can also vote on term lengths, unicameral or bicameral legislature and a bunch of other stuff. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

I believe that is part of the Constitution that is optional for the player. Essentially, when it comes time to write the constitution, players will be able to vote for options on each of the articles, one of which is the option to not require the President to be born in thr US. You can also vote on term lengths, unicameral or bicameral legislature and a bunch of other stuff. 

OK, I couldn't remember what the players were able to choose.  On a related note, is the country you were born in part of the player cards?  I'm guessing that could be a significant factor during this era, but even other later politicians like Arnold Schwartzenegger could be affected by this.

• Like 1

SCRIPTED EVENTS 1774-1776

Declaration of Resolves: 
Members of the Continental Congress are increasingly supporting a Declaration of Resolves to object to the Intolerable Acts and to outline a Colonial Bill of Rights.

Benjamin Franklin decides " Let us state our grievances to the world and our intention to boycott British goods if the Intolerable Acts are not repealed!"

PinckneyCPU +200
EllsworthCPU +100
JayCPU +100
PaineCPU +100

Common Sense: 
An anonymous pamphlet titled Common Sense is advocating American Independence from Great Britain. We know the author to be Thomas Paine, currently of Philadelphia. Within days, the pamplet has been read in taverns and meeting places throughout the colonies!

PaineCPU Thomas Paine gains Celebrity.  

Benjamin Franklin decides "
This glorious pamphlet is catching on like wildfire! "Why does an island rule a continent" indeed! Encourage publication of Mr. Paine's Common Sense."

Pinckney +50

Lexington & Concord: 
British troops have been miraculously repulsed by volunteer American colonists known as "minute men." If not for being alerted by the daring rides of Paul Revere, William Dawes, and Samuel Prescott, our troops might have been caught off guard. There is no doubt the British Regulars will be tougher next time. We might need to consider sending troops from other colonies to aid our friends in Massachusetts.

Benjamin Franklin decides " We must come to the aid of our sister colony Massachusetts (Continental Army proposal worth double pts)."

The Revolutionary War will officially begin during the Military Phase.  Creating a Continental Army (worth double points) and Continental Navy both "must" be proposed during the next legislative phase.  

HancockCPU +250
RandolphCPU +250
@10centjimmy +250
FranklinCPU +250
PinckneyCPU +250

Proprieter of Pennsylvania Returns Philadelphia to Aid the Revolution:  Thomas Penn, proprieter of Pennsylvania, shocks both sides of the Atlantic as he leaves England to support the citizens of Pennsylvania. Penn had been living in England for some time and had been detached from colonial affairs.

Thomas Penn will be activated and available in the next draft!

PInckneyCPU +50

Lavosier defines oxygen:  French Chemist Antoine Lavoisier defines and proves the existence of oxygen. Some are calling this one of the greatest discoveries of all time.

Samuel Johnson is dominant literary critic:  Samuel Johnson, well-known for creating the first significant English-language dictionary all by himself, is now rightly regarded as the greatest literary critic of our time, especially in England.

14 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

I know there's a law you can pass that enables foreign-born Presidents.  I don't recall specifically if it's part of the constitutional convention or not, but I think it might be.

3 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

OK, I couldn't remember what the players were able to choose.  On a related note, is the country you were born in part of the player cards?  I'm guessing that could be a significant factor during this era, but even other later politicians like Arnold Schwartzenegger could be affected by this.

Not the specific country, but each statesman does have an indicator to show whether they are foreign-born or not.

• Like 1

Technically, I was suppose to have the continental congress vote to confirm Franklin's actions.  Whoops.  But he consistently chose what was in the best interest of the red party, and blue is barely present right now, so it's reasonable to assume they would have easily passed.  We'll keep moving forward.

We're now in the military phase, which per Lexington & Concord event means that The Revolutionary War has begun!

But...we don't have an Army yet.  Or a Navy.  Or any Generals or Admirals.  No way to actually win a battle.  Ha.  Lexington & Concord specifies that we must pass Army and Navy in the legislative phase, but we're not there yet, so...

I've flagged this as something for @vcczar to review in the feedback thread on the forum.  In the meantime, we press on!  We'll ignore battles until the next military phase.

On to legislation!

• Like 1

LEGISLATIVE PHASE!

I hearby call the First Continental Congress to order!

We can only pass one non-crisis spending bill.  We also must pass the creation of a Continental Army and Navy.

We can have six proposals.  And our proposers are...

FranklinCPU Artemas Ward
PinckneyCPU Tristam Dalton
JayCPU William Moore

Per the Common Sense event, Lee's Resolution is automatically proposed.  

FranklinCPU Artemas Ward proposes Seeking an Alliance with Anti-British Native Tribes.

FranklinCPU George Clymer proposes Creating a Continental Army.

PInckneyCPU Tristam Dalton proposes Creating a Continental Navy.

PinckneyCPU Daniel Carroll proposes  Protect and Encourage the Tobacco Trade Between the States.

JayCPU Philemon Dickinson proposes  Pay Willing Slaveholders to Convert their Slaves into Soldiers, Granting their Conscripted Slaves Freedom After the War.

JayCPU William Moore proposes Create Framework to punish British Loyalists.