The Political Lounge

AMPU To Do List - Completions List

vcczar

On 8/23/2022 at 10:58 PM, 10centjimmy said:

#4 Ideas:

1. Approve a Model Treaty Committee to develop a template for international commercial agreements (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_Treaty)

2. Organize diplomatic mission to native american tribes in West and North

3. Organize military excursion against British forts in west to secure artillery

4. Fix Postage rates for interstate postal services

5. Establish Rules of Prize for capture of enemy property, specifically ships

6. Increase coordination with Committees and Councils of Safety still active following establishment of state constitutions

Created, but have not yet filled out, all of these. Thanks!

I did split up the diplomatic missions into three seperate missions -- north, west, and south

Split #5 for "on sea" and "on land"

For #6, I removed everything after "Safety"

In all, we now have 9 new Era of Ind Legis Props.

• Like 2

I've been adding more politicians. One I added is FDR's 1st cousin: Katharine St. George. Her mother was FDR's mother's sister. US Rep. St. George looks a lot like FDR. "FDR but with legs!," I'm sure someone called her. Anyway, she was a member of the GOP but seemed to be of the Liberal wing--Rockefeller, LaGuardia, and Dewey. 

• Like 1

Went through rules 2.1. I accepted most of @MrPotatoTed's suggestions. The only ones I didn't accept were kingmaker's teaching leadership and teflon. I want leadership very rare and something that is generally earned, while teflon is just something somoene is kind of born with. I was a little hesitant to accept ideology shift at 50 or 75%, but agreed just to test it out to see if there are issues. I think that might be too high of an acceptance rate. However, it would allow someone like Trump to convert a party quickly, but it might be ahistorical for earlier periods. If we get too many unrealistic results, I'll move it back. 

• Like 1

Added rules for Foundational Legislation in rules 2.7.

This is kind of embarrasing, but since I haven't playtested in like 2 years, I don't even remember my original Foundational Rules, and they apparently aren't on any of the rules docs any more. I think they used to be but got deleted. 

I have cobbled together some rules to encourage players to set up the government. 

If anyone remembers the old Foundational Legislation rules, let me know. 

For you newer people, I had to make those rules at some point because players were disregarding the necessity of building a workable government, and opting to just aim for points, even if the country sank. The foundational period was quite bipartisan in desiring a functional government. 

• Like 1

On 2.95, I rejected suggestions for turning the 50% chance of +1 for some traits to 100% chance of +1 in general election. i generally don't want anything to be 100%, unless it's absolutely necessary. 

Also, those on the career track can decline appointment. 

• Like 1

Done going through all the rules, except for 3.0, which I'll do another time. I only skipped over comments that have little impact on the creation of the game and have more to do with just playtesting organization. 

Thanks to @MrPotatoTed for the rules suggestions as always. 

I'm hoping we're getting closer to something finalized. 

• Like 1

Update to rules 3.0

• Clarified rules regarding the Constitutional Convention based on @MrPotatoTed's questions. Thanks!
  • Because of my update the other day, it is impossible for the Constitutional Convention to occur when the Rev War is active. The Rev War will end automatically if protracted and the Consitutional Convention also has a trigger date, which is after the Rev War last end date. This contrived situation is for the practicality of the game to function properly. It was one of the major issues with adding the Era of Independence. For you new guys, the game used to start with the Era of Federalism and end in 2020. So, the first and last Eras are newer additions. 
  • @MrPotatoTed wondered if we should get rid of youth penalties since I've added midway stats for historical players. I decided to go ahead and deleted, even though in the back of my mind I feel players might call for one during early release. I think the fewer rules and layers we have, the easier it will be to get the game coded, so I opted to just deleted it. It will be easy to add if we need to add it back in. 
  • I've added reconsider determining house size to my "to do list," since it's something I want to spend at least 15 to 30 minutes thinking about. @MrPotatoTed suggests its crazy complicated, even for computer standards. I personally think its quite intuitive, but that might be because I made it. I'll reconsider it just to see if I can make it easier to understand or simplify it in a way that won't lose what it's supposed to do. Personally, it makes complete sense to me. 

Okay, I've gone through all of 3.0 and done the priority stuff that Anthony will need to know about. Anything that's just rules organization I'll save for when I have more time. 

• Like 2

Added more politicians from the list. "Honest" John Kelly is the most interesting of these. This Tammany Hall Boss has kingmaker, manipulative, and controversial and can run for the legislature or as governor. Yet another NYer. It's kind of crazy but from about 1788-1980, affairs in NY are going to be a leading influencer for national politics.

• Like 1

@Lars and to other playtesters

I've edited the Rev War ends scripted event:

• We now have two Rev War ends. One mentions the weariness is in Great Britain and the other in the Colonies. 
  • The weariness in GB version requires independence to have been declared. This event will also trigger the Articles of Confederation and Annapolis Convention, if they haven't been triggered yet. 
  • The weariness in the Colonies version occurs only if independence has not been declared. This event ends the game as the Continental Congress loses the support of the people and the army and Great Britain reestablishes control. 
  • Thanks 1
  • Based 1

@MrPotatoTed

Even though your comment highlighted the whole determining House Size section, I noticed the comment was really in regards to part of it and not the entire thing. I've decided to simplify Voting Power this way. 

Once you've determined the number of influential US Reps for each state, you’ll have to determine their voting power, as each influential Rep will have a % of a portion of their total delegation’s votes. If US Rep votes cannot be divided equally, then remainder power will go to the US Rep with the highest Legis Power (randomized if tied).  If a state has…..

• 1 US Rep, the rep has 100% of the state’s votes. 

• 2 US Reps, reps have 50% of the state’s votes. 

• 3 US Reps, reps have 33.3% of the state’s votes.

• 4 US Reps, rep has 25% of the state’s votes.

• 5 US Reps, rep has 20% of the state’s votes

• 6 US Reps, rep has 16.7% of the state’s votes

• 7 US Reps, rep has 14.3% of the state’s votes

• 8 US Reps, rep has 12.5% of the state’s votes

• 9 US Reps, rep has 11.1% of the state’s votes

• 10 US Reps, rep has 10% of the state’s votes

• Like 1
  • Based 1

43 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@MrPotatoTed

Even though your comment highlighted the whole determining House Size section, I noticed the comment was really in regards to part of it and not the entire thing. I've decided to simplify Voting Power this way. 

Once you've determined the number of influential US Reps for each state, you’ll have to determine their voting power, as each influential Rep will have a % of a portion of their total delegation’s votes. If US Rep votes cannot be divided equally, then remainder power will go to the US Rep with the highest Legis Power (randomized if tied).  If a state has…..

• 1 US Rep, the rep has 100% of the state’s votes. 

• 2 US Reps, reps have 50% of the state’s votes. 

• 3 US Reps, reps have 33.3% of the state’s votes.

• 4 US Reps, rep has 25% of the state’s votes.

• 5 US Reps, rep has 20% of the state’s votes

• 6 US Reps, rep has 16.7% of the state’s votes

• 7 US Reps, rep has 14.3% of the state’s votes

• 8 US Reps, rep has 12.5% of the state’s votes

• 9 US Reps, rep has 11.1% of the state’s votes

• 10 US Reps, rep has 10% of the state’s votes

This looks good, other than the decimals.  Don’t need those, you already have a rule for what to do if it can’t be divided evenly.

Lingering Effect change. @MrPotatoTed and other playtesters. Let me know if this makes sense. This is based on the old rules. I don't know why I changed the rules. I wouldn't have done so unless there was a reason, but I don't remember what that reason was. Anyway:

Actually, based on what you say here, "I propose we go back to the original system, which was that there was a certain % chance that a meter would move, and if it was going to move, then it was weighted to move in the direction of the + or - that had the highest total (not average) lingering effects in play."

I assume what we did based on this was that if you had something the was rev/budget

75/5, 25/10, 30/10, then it was 130/25 and so no matter in this instance, either nothing would happen or Rev/Budget would go up. Whereas in the current system, there's a % chance it would go up and a % chance it would go down, but never that nothing would happen. 

But I see your point in removing something that boosts Econ Stab only 25% if that was far below the previous Econ Stab boosts. However, we also now lose some incentive to improve meters. Aaaagh. I wish I was an economist or math person.

Okay, let's try this, and I hate to say this will be less simple:

Add up all the %+ for that meter and add up all the %- for that meter, both added separately as raw numbers. Thus, a boost to the economy that gives 25% + 75% + 10% would equal 110 as a raw #. 

Once you’ve calculated your raw numbers, you’ve determined if that meter has more positives or negatives. Then roll the following with a 10-sided die:

• Roll a 1:  move the meter in the direction of the smaller raw #

• Roll a 2: move the meter in the direction of the smaller raw #, if the minority # is at least a quarter as large as the larger #. Otherwise, no meter change

• Roll a 3: move the meter in the direction of the smaller raw #, if the minority # is at least half as large as the larger #. Otherwise, no meter change.

• Roll a 4: No meter change

• Roll a 5: No meter change, unless both the President has Crisis Manager and the relevant cabinet officer has Crisis Admin and the meter relates to a specific crisis. In this case, the meter improves in a favorable direction, but only if that raw number favors moving that direction. Otherwise, no change. 

• Rev/Budget - Sec of Treasury or Sec of Commerce for Budget Crisis

• Econ Stab - Sec of Treasury or Sec of State for Economic Crisis

• Mil Prep - Sec of War or Sec of Defense for Major War or Mil Prep Crisis

• Dom Stab - Att Gen for Domestic Stability Crisis 

• Honest Gov - Att Gen for Corruption Crisis

• Q of Life - Sec of Labor or Sec of Health for Quality of Life Crisis

• Planet’s H - Sec of Energy or Sec of Interior for Climate Crisis

• Roll a 6: No meter change, unless the president has Crisis Manager and the meter relates to a specific crisis. In this case, the meter improves in a favorable direction, but only if that raw number favors moving that direction. Otherwise, no change. 

• See list above for relevant crises

• Roll a 7: Move the meter in the direction of the larger raw #

• Roll an 8: same as above

• Roll a 9: same as above

• Roll a 10: same as above. 

On top of this, each Historical Era modifies the %.  Apply this % to the combined raw# of a +/- for a meter. Therefore, if a meter is at 950+ and only 50-, then that’s a 1,000 combined raw#. Let’s say an era modifies this meter for 10%+ and 25%-. Then we we get 100+ and 250-, that is then added to the 950+ and 50-. So we have 1,050+ and 300-.

Feel free to comment on the rules page to make this make more sense to you, but I feel like we have to do something like this so that the Historical Era modifications have some sort of impact. They'd basically be worthless unless I do this last segment. This method also allows the smaller # to potentially play a role. This system makes it so that the meter generally doesn't change, so it's less likely the meters will keep rising or collapsing on the players. It allows crises individuals a larger bonus for having their abilities. It gives a slight preference to the dominant meter #. 

I am open to other ideas, but I don't think there's a simple way to do the meters in a way that will work and allow some variety and volatility. 

Part of me wishes I had greatly simplified this aspect of the game and just have meters be Momentum upwards or downwards without giving any specific numbers as to how much it was going upwards or downwards. Each bill would just contribute to the chance of mantaining the momentum upwards or downwards. But that would probably have a lot of complaints from people wanting a Depression or Recession or Stagnation. Although those could just be scripted events and random general events. Too late to do that now because I'd have to do about two or three months worth of overhauling every spreadsheet and recalculating every legis prop, etc with that in mind. 

45 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Lingering Effect change. @MrPotatoTed and other playtesters. Let me know if this makes sense. This is based on the old rules. I don't know why I changed the rules. I wouldn't have done so unless there was a reason, but I don't remember what that reason was. Anyway:

Actually, based on what you say here, "I propose we go back to the original system, which was that there was a certain % chance that a meter would move, and if it was going to move, then it was weighted to move in the direction of the + or - that had the highest total (not average) lingering effects in play."

I assume what we did based on this was that if you had something the was rev/budget

75/5, 25/10, 30/10, then it was 130/25 and so no matter in this instance, either nothing would happen or Rev/Budget would go up. Whereas in the current system, there's a % chance it would go up and a % chance it would go down, but never that nothing would happen. 

But I see your point in removing something that boosts Econ Stab only 25% if that was far below the previous Econ Stab boosts. However, we also now lose some incentive to improve meters. Aaaagh. I wish I was an economist or math person.

Okay, let's try this, and I hate to say this will be less simple:

Add up all the %+ for that meter and add up all the %- for that meter, both added separately as raw numbers. Thus, a boost to the economy that gives 25% + 75% + 10% would equal 110 as a raw #. 

Once you’ve calculated your raw numbers, you’ve determined if that meter has more positives or negatives. Then roll the following with a 10-sided die:

• Roll a 1:  move the meter in the direction of the smaller raw #

• Roll a 2: move the meter in the direction of the smaller raw #, if the minority # is at least a quarter as large as the larger #. Otherwise, no meter change

• Roll a 3: move the meter in the direction of the smaller raw #, if the minority # is at least half as large as the larger #. Otherwise, no meter change.

• Roll a 4: No meter change

• Roll a 5: No meter change, unless both the President has Crisis Manager and the relevant cabinet officer has Crisis Admin and the meter relates to a specific crisis. In this case, the meter improves in a favorable direction, but only if that raw number favors moving that direction. Otherwise, no change. 

• Rev/Budget - Sec of Treasury or Sec of Commerce for Budget Crisis

• Econ Stab - Sec of Treasury or Sec of State for Economic Crisis

• Mil Prep - Sec of War or Sec of Defense for Major War or Mil Prep Crisis

• Dom Stab - Att Gen for Domestic Stability Crisis 

• Honest Gov - Att Gen for Corruption Crisis

• Q of Life - Sec of Labor or Sec of Health for Quality of Life Crisis

• Planet’s H - Sec of Energy or Sec of Interior for Climate Crisis

• Roll a 6: No meter change, unless the president has Crisis Manager and the meter relates to a specific crisis. In this case, the meter improves in a favorable direction, but only if that raw number favors moving that direction. Otherwise, no change. 

• See list above for relevant crises

• Roll a 7: Move the meter in the direction of the larger raw #

• Roll an 8: same as above

• Roll a 9: same as above

• Roll a 10: same as above. 

On top of this, each Historical Era modifies the %.  Apply this % to the combined raw# of a +/- for a meter. Therefore, if a meter is at 950+ and only 50-, then that’s a 1,000 combined raw#. Let’s say an era modifies this meter for 10%+ and 25%-. Then we we get 100+ and 250-, that is then added to the 950+ and 50-. So we have 1,050+ and 300-.

Feel free to comment on the rules page to make this make more sense to you, but I feel like we have to do something like this so that the Historical Era modifications have some sort of impact. They'd basically be worthless unless I do this last segment. This method also allows the smaller # to potentially play a role. This system makes it so that the meter generally doesn't change, so it's less likely the meters will keep rising or collapsing on the players. It allows crises individuals a larger bonus for having their abilities. It gives a slight preference to the dominant meter #. 

I am open to other ideas, but I don't think there's a simple way to do the meters in a way that will work and allow some variety and volatility. 

Part of me wishes I had greatly simplified this aspect of the game and just have meters be Momentum upwards or downwards without giving any specific numbers as to how much it was going upwards or downwards. Each bill would just contribute to the chance of mantaining the momentum upwards or downwards. But that would probably have a lot of complaints from people wanting a Depression or Recession or Stagnation. Although those could just be scripted events and random general events. Too late to do that now because I'd have to do about two or three months worth of overhauling every spreadsheet and recalculating every legis prop, etc with that in mind. 

I'm not going to pretend I understand what is happening here, so I'm just going smile and nod.