The Political Lounge

AMPU: 1948 Playtest - The Nuclear Age

ebrk85

19 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

1956 Democratic National Convention

@10centjimmy @jnewt @MrPotatoTed @ShortKing @Murrman104

Welcome to the 1956 DNC in Hartford, CT.  We have 2 major candidates left in the race, Tallulah Bankhead and Rev Billy Graham along with minor candidate Rep Adlai Stevenson.

First up is nomination speeches for the major candidates.  @10centjimmy and @Murrman104 please pick a speaker. It can be any non-candidate who does not have incoherent.

LA Gov Earl Long, a southerner committed to helping their fellow man!

• Based 1

1 hour ago, Murrman104 said:

The good Reverends nominating Speech will be Given by the former Governer of Alabama, George C Wallace 

Rolls 1, speech backfires resulting in -1 momentum

47 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

LA Gov Earl Long, a southerner committed to helping their fellow man!

Rolls 2, nothing happens

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

Just now, ebrk85 said:

@Murrman104 @10centjimmy @MrPotatoTed @ShortKing @jnewt

Ballot 1

Tallulah Bankhead- 951 

Billy Graham- 282

Adlai Stevenson- 107

Robert Jackson- 26

John Kennedy- 20

Tallulah Bankhead overwhelmingly wins on the 1st ballot!!!

Margret Chase Smith and her best friend President Taft congratulates the Democrats on an interesting pick for their nominee. We're looking forward to a fun, spirited contest.

Edited by pman
  • Based 1

1 minute ago, pman said:

Wow. Well then. Ok. Did I mention wow? wow. 

It all about momentum. 25% go to momentum (Bankhead). 25% to any Gov or Sens they control. Any remaining go to state ideo preference first. If that doesn't fit either candidate then they go to momentum (Bankhead).

Graham had no chance as very few states prefer Trads. So most states (outside of the deep south who even then 25% went to Bankhead because of momentum) went 100% to Bankhead.

• Like 1

Just now, ebrk85 said:

It all about momentum. 25% go to momentum (Bankhead). 25% to any Gov or Sens they control. Any remaining go to state ideo preference first. If that doesn't fit either candidate then they go to momentum (Bankhead).

Graham had no chance as very few states prefer Trads. So most states (outside of the deep south who even then 25% went to Bankhead because of momentum) went 100% to Bankhead.

Yeah, I like Murr but part of me was glad to see Wallace mess up that speech. 

1 minute ago, ebrk85 said:

A more moderate candidate would have probably still lost due to momentum but it would have been much closer since there are many more states that prefer Mod or Lib.

Did Stevenson not win any delegates at the convention? Or just very few?

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

Did Stevenson not win any delegates at the convention? Or just very few?

Minor candidates can not win any delegates on the first ballot. Outside of what he got in the primary.

If this went to a 2nd ballot then its open season. And he would have gained quite a few I'd imagine as the only Lib candidate. 

Determining VP impact:

• If the VP comes from another faction, then +1. If the VP comes from the faction with the lowest ideological enthusiasm in the party, then that enthusiasm moves towards the party.  YES, Moderates +1 Blue (now Red +2)

• If the ticket had a moderate, conservative, or liberal, then +1. YES

• If the ticket is at least 20 years of age apart, then +1 NO

• If at least one person on the ticket is older than 50, then  +1 YES

• If at least one person on the ticket is younger than 60, then +1. YES

• If the ticket is an incumbent ticket, with the same pres and VP, then +1 NO

• If one member (but not both) on the ticket is marked “independent” or is currently not holding office, then +1 because voters like an outsider. NO (Both are not holding office)

• If one member on the ticket is from a Big State and one from a Small State, then +1.  NO (Big and Medium)

• If the members on the tickets come from different regions, then +1. YES

• If the VP does NOT have obscure:

• Roll: 50% for a +1 and 50% for -1. 92/50 so -1

Total points: 4

(The VP with the most points will gain +1 party pref for their party)

Platform Creation:

@10centjimmy @MrPotatoTed Because Tallulah is pliable and the outgoing party leader (Staggers) is manipulative @MrPotatoTed Mr Staggers gets to pick the entire platform! 

The party leader must build a platform picking an economic legis, domestic legis, judicial legis, foreign/military policy legis, and presidential action that they promise to fulfill. Also, if there is an ongoing crisis, they must promise to resolve them.

• Haha 1

@Bloot911 @WVProgressive @Rezi @Bushwa777

Please make sure we're contesting every down ballot race. I am not saying the Dems picked a weak ticket but lets just say they picked an interesting one:).  If Bankhead gets some rough scandal rolls we could see party preference go hard towards us. Plus, with a LW Pop, some southern states might be in play. No more freebies like last midterm. One person in every race, lets do this! 

• Based 1

8 minutes ago, pman said:

@Bloot911 @WVProgressive @Rezi @Bushwa777

Please make sure we're contesting every down ballot race. I am not saying the Dems picked a weak ticket but lets just say they picked an interesting one:).  If Bankhead gets some rough scandal rolls we could see party preference go hard towards us. Plus, with a LW Pop, some southern states might be in play. No more freebies like last midterm. One person in every race, lets do this! 

As a neutral party, I'll say it for you. It's a weak ticket.  LW Pop and a female pre Civil Rights movement so that's an automatic -1.

• Like 1
  • Based 2

3 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

As a neutral party, I'll say it for you. It's a weak ticket.  LW Pop and a female pre Civil Rights movement so that's an automatic -1.

Plus, I hate nominating a controversial person against someone with integrity unless honest gov is tanked the way it is in 2016.  My own perspective is that nominating a woman or an African American male in 1956 is great but the place to experiment is with the running mate position where there's no penalty. Throw in LW Pop and well, that's an interesting choice. Imagine how angry the Southern Dems would be at this ticket irl. It would split the Party. 

3 hours ago, ebrk85 said:

Platform Creation:

@10centjimmy @MrPotatoTed Because Tallulah is pliable and the outgoing party leader (Staggers) is manipulative @MrPotatoTed Mr Staggers gets to pick the entire platform! 

The party leader must build a platform picking an economic legis, domestic legis, judicial legis, foreign/military policy legis, and presidential action that they promise to fulfill. Also, if there is an ongoing crisis, they must promise to resolve them.

Given my time constraints, I’m actually happy to defer to @10centjimmy if he wants to choose the platform.