The Political Lounge

AMPU: 1948 Playtest - The Nuclear Age

ebrk85

Just now, Murrman104 said:

I believe not as he's liberal but his faction isnt

The technicalities in this game some times are perfectly nuanced and appropriate and sometimes they're just head scratching. If the point is to give a bonus to a neglected ideology within a party, what's going to matter more this fictional concept of a faction or the actual candidate? If the point is, hey, you guys are neglected in our Party so here's the running mate position, that should matter more than a faction.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, pman said:

The technicalities in this game some times are perfectly nuanced and appropriate and sometimes they're just head scratching. If the point is to give a bonus to a neglected ideology within a party, what's going to matter more this fictional concept of a faction or the actual candidate? If the point is, hey, you guys are neglected in our Party so here's the running mate position, that should matter more than a faction.

Fair point to argue in some aspects but the game is designed around the factions.

For reference in making decisions going forward, enthusiasm changes are almost always based off of the factions ideology not an individual. I can't think of one now but of course I am sure there is an exception in the rules somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:

IRL if Ronald Reagan had picked Lowell Weiker in 1980 as his VP would Liberals have been happy? No i dont think so because while he might have been a liberal there wasnt a Liberal faction left in the Republican party at this point so I feel it makes sense 

So see its @pmans fault since he force shifted his factions ideology to Moderate from Liberal 😁

Just now, Murrman104 said:

IRL if Ronald Reagan had picked Lowell Weiker in 1980 as his VP would Liberals have been happy? No i dont think so because while he might have been a liberal there wasnt a Liberal faction left in the Republican party at this point so I feel it makes sense 

I understand what you're saying, I just disagree. I think if Reagan picks a liberal, it both excites whatever liberals remain in the party and brings some independent (former Republicans) back into the Party. 

• Like 1

Just now, EYates said:

I wonder if Brooke will try to tank Taft?

Brooke is not Wadsworth. He's a young guy with hale. He has a 40 year career ahead of him. He's there to make history, cement Taft's status as progressive on race and set a groundwork for the future. You don't get there by being a cranky old man.  He's going to be Taft's champion. 

• Based 1

1 minute ago, pman said:

I understand what you're saying, I just disagree. I think if Reagan picks a liberal, it both excites whatever liberals remain in the party and brings some independent (former Republicans) back into the Party. 

I counter argument to this is nobody really cares about the VP when they go to vote by November.

• Agree 1
  • Based 1

3 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Fair point to argue in some aspects but the game is designed around the factions.

For reference in making decisions going forward, enthusiasm changes are almost always based off of the factions ideology not an individual. I can't think of one now but of course I am sure there is an exception in the rules somewhere.

Fair, totally fair but annoying. Haha but I understand. 

• Based 1

Just now, ebrk85 said:

I counter argument to this is nobody really cares about the VP when they go to vote by November.

True, but if there's going to be an ideological bump for including a neglected ideology in the ticket- it should be based on the actual candidate, not a mythical faction. Though I agree, you could contend that there shouldn't be any bonus of any kind for a running mate- except for one that embarrasses themself (Ted's Palin rule). 

• Agree 1

Just now, Rezi said:

I feel like it’s been totally lost on people that Taft is from the Traditionalist/RW Populist faction lmfao

It's a tribute to how much players can actually mold their factions. Bushwa has turned the far right faction into a moderate faction that has ended Jim Crow and nominated an African American running mate. Good for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pman said:

It's a tribute to how much players can actually mold their factions. Bushwa has turned the far right faction into a moderate faction that has ended Jim Crow and nominated an African American running mate. Good for him.

Ill continue to be evil guys dw

• Haha 2

Presidential Debate 1

Taft starts with a bonus of 3 (has debate and leadership)

Bankhead starts with a bonus of 1 (has charisma)

Taft- 6

Bankhead- 5

Taft considered winner of 1st debate but not by enough to swing many votes.

Scandal Roll 1

Taft has integrity and skips these rolls

Bankhead rolls 4- has controversial so scandal

-Scandal roll is 3= Minor scandal -1 in general 

• Haha 2
  • Based 2

5 minutes ago, pman said:

1 minute ago, Murrman104 said:

Ill continue to be evil guys dw

Its funny to think but if we play long enough in this playtest Murr's faction will become moderate (far right of the Dem party) and Bushwa won't be able to strong arm his faction into being moderate as he'll be forced into drafting more progressively hard-core right pols.

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

7 minutes ago, pman said:

Somehow I doubt that this would continue after Taft’s retirement

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Euri said:

Somehow I doubt that this would continue after Taft’s retirement

Taft's going to retire? There's no term limits in this playtest and he loves the White House. He's going to be President for ever, lol.

• Agree 1

General Election Actions

@10centjimmy @Bushwa777 You can take each of these actions if you choose to

• Give a Speech:

• The speaker will select a state. 

• If they have “orator” then they can roll a 5-6 for a +1 in that state for the nominee and another 5-6 roll for a chance of party pref +1 (both rolled separately). If the candidate hasn’t “orator”, then they can only roll the 5-6 for the state. If “incoherent,” they get -1 in a state and -1 in party preference if that die roll lands on 1-2. 

• A ticket may opt not to make a speech. If no speech is made, then roll a 1-2 for -1 faction ideology enthusiasm of the nominee not making a speech. 

• Incumbent Using the Power of Their Office: 

• An incumbent president running for reelection can use the power of their office to help them earn support. Roll a 5-6 for the incumbent to gain +1 party pref.

• Help from the Media:

• If the nominee’s faction has the LW Media or RW Media card, then they can roll 6 to increase faction ideology enthusiasm for all allied factions, but rolling 1 will give -1 to party pref. 

• Send the VP to Shore Up Support:

• Send the VP to the VP’s region to shore up support. 

• The VP, if they are “likable,” will increase +1 in all states in the region, if the roll a 5-6. If they are “harmonious,” and they roll a 5-6, then they increase party pref +1. If they are “unlikable,” and they roll a 1-2, then decrease support in the states by -1. If “disharmonious” roll a 1-2 to decrease party pref by -1. 

• A VP that is “provincial” will automatically get +1 in their home state and has a 25% chance of +1 in their home region. 

• A VP that is “cosmopolitan” has a 25% chance of gaining +1 in a home region outside of their own (random). 

• If the VP has no relevant traits, then they can roll a 5-6 for +1 in a random state in the region.

• If the VP is not sent, then there is a chance of the VP’s faction’s ideology enthusiasm falling by -1, if a 1-2 is rolled. 

• A president nom with “Delagator” can send the VP to any region, but a 6 must be rolled for +1 in a region outside the VP’s home region. 

• President Focuses on a Region to Earn Support:

• Use the VP region rules above for the Pres. The only difference is that the Pres can go to any region, while the VP is region specific. 

8 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Its funny to think but if we play long enough in this playtest Murr's faction will become moderate (far right of the Dem party) and Bushwa won't be able to strong arm his faction into being moderate as he'll be forced into drafting more progressively hard-core right pols.

I did steal the Red Nazi in the last draft since he had party switch so between that and ideology shifting we could make the process slow

5 minutes ago, pman said:

Taft's going to retire? There's no term limits in this playtest and he loves the White House. He's going to be President for ever, lol.

Except In real life he died in 52 so he is living in borrowed time

But I will be around and we will see Goldwater become liberal lol

8 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

General Election Actions

@10centjimmy @Bushwa777 You can take each of these actions if you choose to

• Give a Speech:

• The speaker will select a state. 

• If they have “orator” then they can roll a 5-6 for a +1 in that state for the nominee and another 5-6 roll for a chance of party pref +1 (both rolled separately). If the candidate hasn’t “orator”, then they can only roll the 5-6 for the state. If “incoherent,” they get -1 in a state and -1 in party preference if that die roll lands on 1-2. 

• A ticket may opt not to make a speech. If no speech is made, then roll a 1-2 for -1 faction ideology enthusiasm of the nominee not making a speech. 

• Incumbent Using the Power of Their Office: 

• An incumbent president running for reelection can use the power of their office to help them earn support. Roll a 5-6 for the incumbent to gain +1 party pref.

• Help from the Media:

• If the nominee’s faction has the LW Media or RW Media card, then they can roll 6 to increase faction ideology enthusiasm for all allied factions, but rolling 1 will give -1 to party pref. 

• Send the VP to Shore Up Support:

• Send the VP to the VP’s region to shore up support. 

• The VP, if they are “likable,” will increase +1 in all states in the region, if the roll a 5-6. If they are “harmonious,” and they roll a 5-6, then they increase party pref +1. If they are “unlikable,” and they roll a 1-2, then decrease support in the states by -1. If “disharmonious” roll a 1-2 to decrease party pref by -1. 

• A VP that is “provincial” will automatically get +1 in their home state and has a 25% chance of +1 in their home region. 

• A VP that is “cosmopolitan” has a 25% chance of gaining +1 in a home region outside of their own (random). 

• If the VP has no relevant traits, then they can roll a 5-6 for +1 in a random state in the region.

• If the VP is not sent, then there is a chance of the VP’s faction’s ideology enthusiasm falling by -1, if a 1-2 is rolled. 

• A president nom with “Delagator” can send the VP to any region, but a 6 must be rolled for +1 in a region outside the VP’s home region. 

• President Focuses on a Region to Earn Support:

• Use the VP region rules above for the Pres. The only difference is that the Pres can go to any region, while the VP is region specific. 

President Taft will:

Give a speech in Illinois 

Use the power of his office as incumbent 

Focus on the midwest 

Send his vp nominee to his home region to shore up support 

• Like 1