The Political Lounge

AMPU: 1948 Playtest - The Nuclear Age

ebrk85

8 hours ago, Euri said:

This Democratic ticket honestly seems like a godsend for Taft

The primaries are a ton of fun, probably the most enjoyable part of the playtest. I think that can sometimes tempt players into running whereas the smart strategy is to fall in line behind the strongest candidate. The flip side of that coin is that with the exception of Ronald Reagan the Dems didn't have any super strong libs/mod candidates and this era is super kind to those. So it's not shocking a LW Pop beat a trad in the 56 Dem primary. Those are two strong, diametrically opposed factions.  Interesting election so far.

51 minutes ago, pman said:

The primaries are a ton of fun, probably the most enjoyable part of the playtest. I think that can sometimes tempt players into running whereas the smart strategy is to fall in line behind the strongest candidate. The flip side of that coin is that with the exception of Ronald Reagan the Dems didn't have any super strong libs/mod candidates and this era is super kind to those. So it's not shocking a LW Pop beat a trad in the 56 Dem primary. Those are two strong, diametrically opposed factions.  Interesting election so far.

To be fair, this should also demonstrate the incredible power of celebrity in a field of candidates.

2 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

To be fair, this should also demonstrate the incredible power of celebrity in a field of candidates.

In that case, Ronald Reagan still definitely seems like a missed opportunity this time around, but Tallulah Bankhead is a perfectly interesting candidate in her own right so it’s fine

29 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Yes it's fine

Exec Action: Set Precedence with First Filmed Press Conference 

Dom: Create Committee to establish nationwide primaries for both major parties 

For:  Donate Agricultural Surpluses Overseas to Friendly Countries in Need 

Judi: Prohibition of Alcohol Amendment 

Econ: Ban requirement that employees pay Union due

1 hour ago, Euri said:

In that case, Ronald Reagan still definitely seems like a missed opportunity this time around, but Tallulah Bankhead is a perfectly interesting candidate in her own right so it’s fine

in my defense, I really do not want to have to be President

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Yeah I am with you.  After Taft wins this time around (fingers crossed), I will not be running for many cycles! 

6701F91A-63AF-43DE-BAD8-6E3694AA1286.jpeg.5c10f77c472977bc4ab9df28e8de67b2.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 10centjimmy said:

Exec Action: Set Precedence with First Filmed Press Conference 

Dom: Create Committee to establish nationwide primaries for both major parties 

For:  Donate Agricultural Surpluses Overseas to Friendly Countries in Need 

Judi: Prohibition of Alcohol Amendment 

Econ: Ban requirement that employees pay Union due

Points by faction the platform would give:

@10centjimmy 1050

@jnewt 200

@MrPotatoTed 200

@ShortKing 300

@Murrman104 200

@pman 200

@Bloot911 100

@Rezi 50

@WVProgressive 0

@Bushwa777 350

The party with the best platform will gain +1 party pref in the general. Here’s how to determine, which is best:

• Do the points that the party would gain by fulfilling the platform goals exceed those that the other party would gain? YES 1950 vs 700

• Does the score of the lowest scoring faction with the platform exceed the lowest scoring faction of the other party? YES

• Does the president’s personal ideology score the most points (or tied)? YES (Populists score 50 more pts than Progs)

• Total= 3pts (well done @10centjimmy)

• LW and RW Populists enthusiasm moves +1 Blue (now Blue +2 and Neutral respectively)

1956 Republican Convention

@WVProgressive @pman @Rezi @Bloot911

Republicans have gathered in St. Paul, MN to nominate President Robert Taft for another term.  VP James Wadsworth in a split with the President has not officially bowed out but the convention re-nominated Taft by a wide margin. (I am not going to spend the next hours plugging in all the numbers to get an actual total. However, as a minor candidate Wadsworth can only win the delegates he got from the primary, 16, plus those of his home state of NY. Taft would receive the full delegate votes of every other state.)

It is now time for Taft to pick his running mate @Bushwa777

Edited by ebrk85
  • Based 1

10 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Republicans have gathered in St. Paul, MN to nominate President Robert Taft for another term.  VP James Wadsworth in a split with the President has not officially bowed out but the convention re-nominated Taft by a wide margin. (I am not going to spend the next hours plugging in all the numbers to get an actual total. However, as a minor candidate Wadsworth can only win the delegates he got from the primary, 16, plus those of his home state of NY. Taft would receive the full delegate votes of every other state.)

Based on quick mafs, convention would be:

Taft - 1192 (86%)

Wadsworth - 196 (14%)

If I had run Dewey as a major candidate instead, I probably would've gotten Taft under 75% or maybe even 66% because of slightly better primary results, New York having the most delegates by far, and because I do well in conventions since I have 11 more Senators than Bushwa.

• Agree 1
  • Based 1

10 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

As much as President Taft loves his vice president (not) he is dumping him in favor of Edward Brooke, young at 35 years old and the first African American nominee of a major party.  He belongs to the faction of @pman

• Like 1
  • Based 2

Determining VP impact:

@Bushwa777 @WVProgressive @Rezi @Bloot911 @pman

For dropping his incumbent VP, 50% chance of -1 party pref. Rolls 42/50 so Party Pref -1 Red.

The party that sees the most points will get +1 party pref.

• If the VP comes from another faction, then +1. If the VP comes from the faction with the lowest ideological enthusiasm in the party, then that enthusiasm moves towards the party. YES
  • If the ticket had a moderate, conservative, or liberal, then +1. YES

• If the ticket is at least 20 years of age apart, then +1 YES

• If at least one person on the ticket is older than 50, then  +1 YES

• If at least one person on the ticket is younger than 60, then +1. YES

• If the ticket is an incumbent ticket, with the same pres and VP, then +1 NO

• If one member (but not both) on the ticket is marked “independent” or is currently not holding office, then +1 because voters like an outsider.  YES

• If one member on the ticket is from a Big State and one from a Small State, then +1.  NO (both Big)

• If the members on the tickets come from different regions, then +1.  YES

• If the VP DOES have obscure (roll 6-sided die): Rolls 3

• 3:  Obscure VP keeps obscure, gains lackey, gains pliable.  No impact. [None of this is an option if the VP has leadership]

• Total Pts: 7

• That is more the Democratic VP so Party Pref +1 Red

Party Pref Net Gain is no movement and it remains (lean Blue)