The Political Lounge

Kevin McCarthy ousted as Speaker of the House

Pringles

1 hour ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

He ruled himself already out. Still Gaetz and Co. will probably vote for him in the first rounds.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-not-ruling-new-house-speaker-rcna118794

And then comes this "Trump is not ruling out being the new House speaker"

Just now, ConservativeElector2 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-not-ruling-new-house-speaker-rcna118794

And then comes this "Trump is not ruling out being the new House speaker"

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/111178376950836457

Screenshot(3861).png.2b8b074b66c8e24a221f3159c2725729.png

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

On 10/7/2023 at 2:04 PM, pilight said:

Of course the GOP is only considering white men...

A fair point, of course, though to be fair it's not like they have a lot of wildly competent white women or people of color to choose from.  I joked in 2012 that if the only minorities I knew were Herman Cain and Michele Bachman, I'd probably be a racist chauvinist too.  Ha.

Out of folks currently in the House, only Kay Granger, Virginia Fox, and Cathy McMorris Rodgers have been in the House longer than Scalise, who appears to be the establishment favorite.

Granger is 80 years old.  

Fox is 80 years old.  

Rogers is only 54, and has a reasonable amount of experience.  That said, she is a vocal opponent of gay marriage (to this day!), co-authored legislation attempting to ban it in Washington state, fought against tempts to change references in legislation from "Orientals" to "Asian," and supported Trump's claims that the 2020 election was a hoax (until the January 6 attack, when she changed course and confirmed Biden's win).

None of that is necessarily disqualifying in today's Republican party of course...hell, Scalise himself was the one who led the ousting of Liz Cheney for calling for Trump to be impeached over the Jan 6 attack and to this day will not admit Trump lost in 2020.  He was also one of the only Reps to vote against an investigation into the Jan 6 attack (most Republicans voted with the Democrats in favor of the investigation).  And in 2002, he spoke at a White Supremacy event for a group led by David Dukes -- the former KKK Grand Wizard.  So...hardly a spotless record himself.

But I guess my main point is that there's literally only one Republican woman under the age of 80 with a lengthier House career than Scalise, and she's not someone I'd want in charge.  

As for people of color, the longest serving Black Republican Representative was elected in 2020.

• Haha 2