The Political Lounge

Kevin McCarthy ousted as Speaker of the House

Pringles

3 minutes ago, Pringles said:

216 to 210. Yet another huge moment in history that we are alive to witness. The first time a Speaker has been removed this way. 

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/matt-gaetz-kevin-mccarthy-house-speakership-10-03-23/index.html

It looks like we posted the same topic at the same time. Oops. I don’t understand the plan here by the Gaetz Republicans. It doesn’t look like they made any substantive demands, nor do they have a successor in mind. All I can say is this can’t be good for the approaching elections in Virginia.

Just now, Pius XIII said:

It looks like we posted the same topic at the same time. Oops. I don’t understand the plan here by the Gaetz Republicans. It doesn’t look like they made any substantive demands, nor do they have a successor in mind. All I can say is this can’t be good for the approaching elections in Virginia.

It's almost as if that's the plan. 

Dog Chasing Cars Joker GIF - Dog Chasing Cars Joker Batman - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Haha 3

There was a revolt around 1910 that was actually led by a 1st cousin (a few generations removed of me). George W. Norris led the progressive revolt against Speaker Joseph Cannon. Norris and Cannon were Republicans. I think Cannon stepped down voluntarily to win a revote, or something like that, but the rules were changed regarding Speakership powers. No Speaker has been as powerful as Cannon since. Norris's mother was my great-great-great grandfather's sister. When Norris's father died, my gr-gr-gr grandfather was the executor of the will and quasi-adopted Norris. My gr-gr grandfather taught Norris K-12 (or part of that time) as he was a schoolmaster for some time. At some point, my gr-gr-gr grandfather moved from OH to NE with Norris, although my gr-gr grandfather stayed in OH, where his son, my gr-grandfather became Secretary of the OH Progressive Republicans. Norris ended up becoming a US Sen and supported FDR's New Deal. 

Today's vote is very similar to what went on then. 

• Like 1

I think this was a mistake by the Democrats.  I virtually assures a government shutdown when the current CR expires and opens them up to blame for removing one of the few Republicans who might compromise.  We'll be lucky to get a speaker by the time the CR expires.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

There was a revolt around 1910 that was actually led by a 1st cousin (a few generations removed of me). George W. Norris led the progressive revolt against Speaker Joseph Cannon. Norris and Cannon were Republicans. I think Cannon stepped down voluntarily to win a revote, or something like that, but the rules were changed regarding Speakership powers. No Speaker has been as powerful as Cannon since. Norris's mother was my great-great-great grandfather's sister. When Norris's father died, my gr-gr-gr grandfather was the executor of the will and quasi-adopted Norris. My gr-gr grandfather taught Norris K-12 (or part of that time) as he was a schoolmaster for some time. At some point, my gr-gr-gr grandfather moved from OH to NE with Norris, although my gr-gr grandfather stayed in OH, where his son, my gr-grandfather became Secretary of the OH Progressive Republicans. Norris ended up becoming a US Sen and supported FDR's New Deal. 

Today's vote is very similar to what went on then. 

How many politicians are you related to?  It seems you are the Kevin Bacon of the Political world! 

1 hour ago, Bushwa777 said:

How many politicians are you related to?  It seems you are the Kevin Bacon of the Political world! 

I don’t know for sure. I don’t think any of us do. My half 1st-cousin (same grandfather; diff grandmother) was Clinton’s campaign manager in 2016. I’ve never met him. My dad was involved in local politics before I was born. My gr-grandfather and gr-gr-grandfathers (and the nephew) are mentioned in the earlier post. One of my 3x gr grandfathers was appt lighthouse keeper by Pres. Pierce (a minor political position). This same ancestor was an official greater for when Polk visited Massachusetts. One ancestor was a delegate to the Massachusetts Const Conv and served in the state legislature during 1776 and other years. In the 1600s and early 1700s, I have tons of Massachusetts colonial politician ancestors. My only PA politician ancestor was a burgess (comparable to mayor) of Germantown, which is now part of Philadelphia. Back in England, I have ancestors in Parliament, and nobles, and royalty, but that’s not too uncommon. I’d reckon at least half of us or more on this forum are descendants of at least Charlemagne. That is, could prove the descent. 

• Based 1

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don’t know for sure. I don’t think any of us do. My half 1st-cousin (same grandfather; diff grandmother) was Clinton’s campaign manager in 2016. I’ve never met him. My dad was involved in local politics before I was born. My gr-grandfather and gr-gr-grandfathers (and the nephew) are mentioned in the earlier post. One of my 3x gr grandfathers was appt lighthouse keeper by Pres. Pierce (a minor political position). This same ancestor was an official greater for when Polk visited Massachusetts. One ancestor was a delegate to the Massachusetts Const Conv and served in the state legislature during 1776 and other years. In the 1600s and early 1700s, I have tons of Massachusetts colonial politician ancestors. My only PA politician ancestor was a burgess (comparable to mayor) of Germantown, which is now part of Philadelphia. Back in England, I have ancestors in Parliament, and nobles, and royalty, but that’s not too uncommon. I’d reckon at least half of us or more on this forum are descendants of at least Charlemagne. That is, could prove the descent. 

Oh and NP Banks was an in-law

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Some exciting choices for Speaker:

Lee Zeldin, Mike Johnson, Byron Donalds, Donald Trump (because it would be cool to have an ex-President as Speaker), Dusty Johnson (however, he might be even more moderate than McCarthy, so it wouldn't work)

Obviously I don’t like any of these guys, but I think Donalds would be the coolest for the sake of being historic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10centjimmy said:

Pretty sure he's ineligible according to republican rules:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4238156-why-rule-26-is-trending-trump-speaker/

Technically, until Trump entered leadership, he could still be nominated in-conference and on the floor, though yeah, his entire "bid" is just a meme from a few joker Representatives. 

Edited by The Blood
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, The Blood said:

Technically, until Trump entered leadership, he could still be nominated in-conference and on the floor, though yeah, his entire "bid" is just a meme from a few joker Representatives. 

He ruled himself already out. Still Gaetz and Co. will probably vote for him in the first rounds.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

He ruled himself already out. Still Gaetz and Co. will probably vote for him in the first rounds.

I kinda want Trump to become the Speaker. He can then have F’d up all three branches of government. Imagine I’m handing speaker duties. He’s just talk constantly and wouldn’t let anyone else talk. If the GOP want’s Trump support to collapse nationally this might be the best tactic. I think the entire Congress would vote him out after a month. 

• Based 1

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

If the GOP want’s Trump support to collapse nationally this might be the best tactic. I think the entire Congress would vote him out after a month. 

Yeah I also thought that everyone not wanting him to continue his presidential campaign, should support Trump becoming speaker.

Lee Zeldin seems like a good choice considering that he came shockingly close to winning the governor’s mansion of New York. I’d argue that his race created a congressional “red wave” in the state during 2022 while the rest of the GOP (other than Florida) fell on it’s face.

Historically speaking has there ever been a Speaker who wasn’t concurrently  a member of the House?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2