The Political Lounge

Constructive Results of AMPU Summer Playtest

Wow, in the master statesmen tab, guess who has the highest number of historic expertise out of all 7,000+ politicians? 

No, it isn't that guy. It's Jon Tester!!!! He has 11 expertise. More contemporary politicians have higher expertise because the government is much more involved in everything than in previous times. 

In other news, I'm recalibrating politician value to account for the new traits I've added.

• Like 1

@MrPotatoTed @ConservativeElector2 @Cal @Hestia and anyone else usually interested in my AMPU posts. Here are the new top politicians after updating the ratings after having created a bunch of new traits. This is liable to change as I flesh out politicians to include some of these new traits. Most of the major figures have already had them applied. Note: Trump is #178 of 7,000+ politicians and Joe Biden is #227.

Top 50 AMPU Politicians by Historic Political Value 

Theodore Roosevelt
Henry Clay
Benjamin Franklin
Andrew Jackson
John Quincy Adams
Franklin D Roosevelt
James G Blaine
Ronald Reagan
Thomas Jefferson
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Daniel Webster
John C Calhoun
James Madison
Charles Evans Hughes
John Marshall
Lyndon B Johnson
Woodrow Wilson
Salmon P Chase
William H Seward
Barack Obama
Newt Gingrich
Richard Russell Jr
Alexander Hamilton
Earl Warren
Robert F Kennedy
Robert La Follette
Nelson Rockefeller
William Jennings Bryan
Adlai E Stevenson II
Stephen A Douglas
Robert Taft
Lewis Cass
Huey P Long
Bernie Sanders
Elihu Root
Elizabeth Warren
Albert Gallatin
Richard Nixon
George Clinton
Edmund Muskie
Lindsey Graham
John Jay
Langdon Cheves
Elliot Richardson
Bill Clinton
William McKinley
Benjamin Tillman
Ted Kennedy
William L Marcy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

@MrPotatoTed @ConservativeElector2 @Cal @Hestia and anyone else usually interested in my AMPU posts. Here are the new top politicians after updating the ratings after having created a bunch of new traits. This is liable to change as I flesh out politicians to include some of these new traits. Most of the major figures have already had them applied. Note: Trump is #178 of 7,000+ politicians and Joe Biden is #227.

Top 50 AMPU Politicians by Historic Political Value 

Theodore Roosevelt
Henry Clay
Benjamin Franklin
Andrew Jackson
John Quincy Adams
Franklin D Roosevelt
James G Blaine
Ronald Reagan
Thomas Jefferson
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Daniel Webster
John C Calhoun
James Madison
Charles Evans Hughes
John Marshall
Lyndon B Johnson
Woodrow Wilson
Salmon P Chase
William H Seward
Barack Obama
Newt Gingrich
Richard Russell Jr
Alexander Hamilton
Earl Warren
Robert F Kennedy
Robert La Follette
Nelson Rockefeller
William Jennings Bryan
Adlai E Stevenson II
Stephen A Douglas
Robert Taft
Lewis Cass
Huey P Long
Bernie Sanders
Elihu Root
Elizabeth Warren
Albert Gallatin
Richard Nixon
George Clinton
Edmund Muskie
Lindsey Graham
John Jay
Langdon Cheves
Elliot Richardson
Bill Clinton
William McKinley
Benjamin Tillman
Ted Kennedy
William L Marcy

Who is the lowest ranked?

@MrPotatoTed @ConservativeElector2 @Cal @Hestia @Rezi and anyone else interested in this kinds of posts. 

I've further recalibrated the politician value so that the politician with the highest historical value (Theodore Roosevelt) = a perfect 100. 

Here are the top 10 by historical value:

1. Theodore Roosevelt 100
  2. Henry Clay 98
  3. Benjamin Franklin 97
  4. Andrew Jackson 93
  5. John Quincy Adams 85
  6. FDR 83
  7. James G Blaine 83
  8. Ronald Reagan 81
  9. Thomas Jefferson 81
  10. George Washington 79
  11. Abraham Lincoln 79

Here are the top 10 by historical value (note: those active before 1774 will have a larger draft value as they were already experienced):

1. Franklin 80 
  2. Clay 75
  3. Lincoln 64
  4. Washington 64
  5. FDR 62
  6. Jackson 60
  7. Reagan 60
  8. JQ Adams 58
  9. Daniel Webster 58
  10. John Marshall 58

Who are the top 3 worst politicians?

• John Payne Todd, the incompetent drunk adopted son of James Madison starts with a negative 7 draft value, but he improved to negative 2 historically. 
  • William Temple Franklin, the non-entity grandson of Franklin starts as a -2 and maintains a -2. He did not have the resolve of either his father or grandfather.
  • James Stockdale is a -2 but improves to a 3. Stockdale is famous for becoming Perot's VP nominee, one of the reason's Perot's support plummeted. Came off as senile and disinterested. 

Today I'm going to work on Graphs/Charts and Terminology. I'm teaching today, but they'll be in groups almost all class, so I'll do this during class. Won't get too much done, but I'll get started.

@MrPotatoTed @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @Hestia @Rezi and anyone else. Let me know if you have any ideas for graphs/charts. I've written some vague ideas in the Graphs/Charts document on the table of contents for the rules. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@MrPotatoTed @ConservativeElector2 @Cal and anyone else

Doing the long, slow process of filling out politician bios. 

Will also starting walking over to the U of Pennsylvania's library every Mon and Wed for a couple of hours to use their books to flesh out some of the politicians, and possibly other aspects of the game. 

I'd love to have politician biographies, but I thought the Wikipedia link is giving the most necessary infos to the players. Wouldn't relying on them be tremendously time saving?

1 hour ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I'd love to have politician biographies, but I thought the Wikipedia link is giving the most necessary infos to the players. Wouldn't relying on them be tremendously time saving?

Anthony is really anti-wikipedia for some reason. I'll try to convince him that it isn't practical to type in 7,000+ bios.

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

Anthony is really anti-wikipedia for some reason. I'll try to convince him that it isn't practical to type in 7,000+ bios.

I don't know where I would get all the information as handily as in the Wikipedia... anyway, I'd say in that case it's better to omit biographies instead of typing 7000+ of them. I think real life biographies have little relevance in the context of the game and I guess players are more interested into the new biographies which will probably be generated as an office holder box similar to Wikipedia

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I don't know where I would get all the information as handily as in the Wikipedia... anyway, I'd say in that case it's better to omit biographies instead of typing 7000+ of them. I think real life biographies have little relevance in the context of the game and I guess players are more interested into the new biographies which will probably be generated as an office holder box similar to Wikipedia

As a player of historical games, I like it when games have bios. For instance, RTKIV has bios for all 1,000+ characters. I read them all the time. 

Even with wikipedia, there's some people that don't have wikipedia entries that need bios. I actually don't mind typing them all out.

Most will be like a sentence, "Gov and US Rep during the early Cold War. Conservationist." Most had no noticeable accomplishments.

People like Madison will have much more in their bio, but again, it will be truncated. Something like, "Father of the US Constitution. First floor leader of the US House. Strong Washington ally until Hamilton took over policy. Architect of the Jeffersonian Republicans. Author of most of the Federalist Papers, but also of the VA Resolution, which helped inspire Nullification and Secession. Served as president during the War of 1812, which led to his near defeat in the 1816 election, but ultimately resolved the war in a draw. Moderated the Jeffersonian Republicans to accept some Federalist policies, especially after the war, which helped cause a split in the remaining major party at the time."

• Like 1

@MrPotatoTed @ConservativeElector2 @Cal @Rezi @Hestia and anyone else interested. 

I'm considering starting the game at 1772, instead of 1774. The reason for this is because 1774 is when midterms would be if the US Presidential elections occurred at this time. That is, it's the 2nd half of a full term. This is why people with draft dates of 1772 get to go on the career track in 1774. If I push it back, then I can cut a lot of the confusing. The downside though is, 1772-1774 will have almost no phases, no Congress, etc. I'll have some scripted events and probably a guaranteed Boston Tea Party. The only phase might be Events, Career Track, Faction Leaders. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@MrPotatoTed @ConservativeElector2 @Cal @Rezi @Hestia and anyone else interested. 

I'm considering starting the game at 1772, instead of 1774. The reason for this is because 1774 is when midterms would be if the US Presidential elections occurred at this time. That is, it's the 2nd half of a full term. This is why people with draft dates of 1772 get to go on the career track in 1774. If I push it back, then I can cut a lot of the confusing. The downside though is, 1772-1774 will have almost no phases, no Congress, etc. I'll have some scripted events and probably a guaranteed Boston Tea Party. The only phase might be Events, Career Track, Faction Leaders. 

A good thing about this idea is that it gives the player a chance to strategize a little bot before being thrown into the full game. Get a feel for the career track, faction leaders, events, etc. Though you'll want to make it so this phase can be passed through as quickly as possible to not bog things down.

• Agree 1

@MrPotatoTed @Cal @ConservativeElector2 and anyone else interested:

I've added 4 events that can appear in the 1772-1774 half-term. They're the only ones that can occur and they are guaranteed to occur:

• Gaspee Affair, which resulted in the Sons of Liberty creating the Committee of Correspondence.
  • The Committee of Correspondence, which foreshadows the 1st Continental Congress
  • The Tea Act, which leads to the Boston Tea Party
  • The Boston Tea Party, which will lead to a strong reaction from the British central government.
  • Like 1

Game change idea:

What if we change how legislative proposals are done:

• # of proposals per session and per house will be equal to the number of committee members. This is basically the same since they're the ones that currently propose.
  • Instead of committee members proposing, proposers will be randomized with a higher chance for those with high legis ability. This gives this ability more appeal too.
  • Those with efficient will be able to make two proposals. 
  • Might give some instances in which the Senate or House leaders can pick who makes a proposal. 

Thoughts? @MrPotatoTed @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @Hestia @Rezi @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Game change idea:

What if we change how legislative proposals are done:

• # of proposals per session and per house will be equal to the number of committee members. This is basically the same since they're the ones that currently propose.
  • Instead of committee members proposing, proposers will be randomized with a higher chance for those with high legis ability. This gives this ability more appeal too.
  • Those with efficient will be able to make two proposals. 
  • Might give some instances in which the Senate or House leaders can pick who makes a proposal. 

Thoughts? @MrPotatoTed @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @Hestia @Rezi @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1

I especially like the idea about party leadership controlling things. As much as it might suck, that is something that has been going on for a while (so it resembles what has happened). And it would make sense that a higher legislative value would be more likely since you would assume that means that know the system better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1