Nelson Rockefeller

Adlai Stevenson

JFK

LBJ

Harry Byrd

Ross Barnett

20 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Not a fan of either Kennedy or Humphrey

Not a fan of Kennedy who's moral life was awful & who won by voter fraud & and had connections with the Mafia, but Barnett was really awful.

(Also, Humphrey was opposed to abortion...)

Shortly after he left office, Barnett's looming presence was evident at the first jury trial of white supremacist Byron De La Beckwith in February 1964. De La Beckwith was on trial for the murder of African American civil rights activist Medgar Evers, but an all-white jury was unable to agree on a verdict in both this and a subsequent re-trial. In the second subsequent re-trial, former Governor Ross Barnett interrupted the proceedings, while Myrlie Evers was testifying, to shake hands with Beckwith. De La Beckwith was eventually convicted at a subsequent trial three decades later, a case chronicled in the movie Ghosts of Mississippi. - Wikipedia

Edited by Timur

48 minutes ago, Dobs said:

But you are moreso a fan of rabid segregationist Ross Barnett????

No and I didn't put him on #1. I didn't even know who Barnett was before this ranking. 

Same goes for George Bender, James Lloyd, George Smathers, Robert B. Meyner and Wayne Morse.

But given the options below Barnett, he would have probably been the lesser evil I believe.

34 minutes ago, Timur said:

(Also, Humphrey was opposed to abortion...)

Interesting, I didn't know that. Good! 

6 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

No and I didn't put him on #1. I didn't even know who Barnett was before this ranking. 

Same goes for George Bender, James Lloyd, George Smathers, Robert B. Meyner and Wayne Morse.

But given the options below Barnett, he would have probably been the lesser evil I believe.

I'm just gonna go out on a whim and say that usually rabid segregationists aren't the lesser evil, but maybe that's just me. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

51 minutes ago, Timur said:

Kennedy also opposed international funding of abortion, but that's neither here nor there. Let's back up. What exactly makes JFK more evil than a man whose campaign for Governor's brochure included

" "Dynamic Leadership - To Keep Segregation and Improve Our Standard of Living"

and

"The Negro is different because God made him different to punish him. His forehead slants back. His nose is different. His lips are different, and his color is sure different."

and even included a little ditty that goes like this:

"Roll with Ross, roll with Ross, he's his own boss
For segregation, one hundred percent
He's not a moderate like some of the gents
He'll fight integration with forceful intent."

And if not of that is enough to make your skin crawl, you're a Christian and this last part should send you through the roof. As Governor, Barnett remarked (in the context of his being also a Sunday School Teacher):

"The Good Lord was the original segregationist. He put the black man in Africa. ... He made us white because he wanted us white, and He intended that we should stay that way."

• Like 2

Just now, Hestia said:

I'm just gonna go out on a whim and say that usually rabid segregationists aren't the lesser evil, but maybe that's just me. 😛

I am voting for a presented package of policy positions, you know. What do we actually know about the rest of his platform? I don't know anything but maybe it wasn't that awful. I wouldn't rate Kennedy's or Johnson's presidency very successful. So they have failed already. A Morse presidency seems to have been an even greater catastrophe. Therefore I happen to believe it's normal have a greater expectation into someone who hasn't already failed. After all his party influence seems to have been very little, so what damage could he have brought upon the country when not even his own party was inclined to follow his ''lead''? In that case my anxiety is quite limited.

Lastly it's quite amusing that we are discussing here my fifth last choice. It's not that we are discussing my first option to lead the nation 😛 

Richard Nixon

John F Kennedy

Cecil Underwood

Nelson Rockefeller

George Bender

Stuart Symington

George Smathers

Hubert Humphrey

Robert Meyner

Lyndon B Johnson

Adlai Stevenson

Wayne Morse

James Lloyd

Harry Byrd

Ross Barnett

6 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

am voting for a presented package of policy positions, you know. What do we actually know about the rest of his platform?

In a case like this, I dont really need to know the rest lol. He could be as liberal as they come but I would for sure say: no thanks.

7 minutes ago, Dobs said:

Kennedy also opposed international funding of abortion, but that's neither here nor there. Let's back up. What exactly makes JFK more evil than a man whose campaign for Governor's brochure included.

Hopefully he opposed it at home as well. But of course opposing any form of abortion at first is quite the first step and deserves kudos whatsoever!

For the second part I defer to my response to Hestia.

9 minutes ago, Dobs said:

"The Negro is different because God made him different to punish him. His forehead slants back. His nose is different. His lips are different, and his color is sure different."

That is unequivocally stupid. Why should it be a punishment at all to be black (not asking you)?

13 minutes ago, Dobs said:

"The Good Lord was the original segregationist. He put the black man in Africa. ... He made us white because he wanted us white, and He intended that we should stay that way."

Also unequivocally stupid.

The other two quotes are even pretty much ''acceptable'' compared to this, as they just give out his policy platform without this kind of weird rhetoric. 

7 minutes ago, Hestia said:

In a case like this, I dont really need to know the rest lol. He could be as liberal as they come but I would for sure say: no thanks.

But in that case you would vote for someone who shares nearly 0% of the rest of your platform?

I think I couldn't do that. Maybe if I knew the conservative candidate personally and dislike him for personal reasons.

2 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

But in that case you would vote for someone who shares nearly 0% of the rest of your platform?

I think I couldn't do that. Maybe if I knew the conservative candidate personally and dislike him for personal reasons.

Um...if they believed in segregation that strongly? Yup, sure thing. This is way more important than literally anything else. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I think you’re being a bit cavalier about the harmful depth of Barnett’s virulent racism.

Perhaps it’s a cultural thing regarding Austria’s relative homogeneity to America’s diversity and thus it isn’t as charged for you?

I don’t know but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a tad disappointed that his level of remarks which are beyond “stupid” and in fact descent to the level of pure evil haven’t convinced you that he is in fact the greatest evil of the list.

He is, in fact, one of only two men on this list I would consider truly “evil”. I don’t hand out that moniker lightly as a Christian, but Barnett has earned it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hestia said:

Um...if they believed in segregation that strongly? Yup, sure thing. This is way more important than literally anything else. 

Maybe I think differently about American politics because it doesn't affect me directly, I don't know. Also racial segregation was never an issue here. I believe people of good character deserve the same respect regardless of their background. I don't view it as the most important issue of all time for the fact that government policy can't dictate me to treat others with respect if they deserve it. If the government tells me black people are bad and I meet a black guy who's nice I'd still befriend him. I don't care about what the government tells me to do or not to do. Same goes for gay people. If I had a gay neighbor, who's completely nice and everything I can view him as my friend regardless of what he does privately. That's none of my business because I care about personal skills in a friendship. But even having a gay friend doesn't mean for me to vote for a party exclusively because they support gay rights.

Lastly I can tell you for Austrian politics, I am already assuming that it might be better to get a short stint from a Social Democratic prime minister to wash out the Kurz sect from the People's Party camp. Their behavior and constant incompetence is basically not tolerable, even for me... I wouldn't really care if the Social Democrats win the next election here for at least having the Kurz cult being thrown from the political stage.

30 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I'd vote for Donald Trump or Ted Cruz over Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren if Sanders or Warren turned out to be a segregationist and was promoting Jim Crow or voter suppression laws, suddenly. I think at some point a voter has to be moral/ethical over partisan. 

10 minutes ago, Dobs said:

I think you’re being a bit cavalier about the harmful depth of Barnett’s virulent racism.

Perhaps it’s a cultural thing regarding Austria’s relative homogeneity to America’s diversity and thus it isn’t as charged for you?

Maybe you are right. The whole race relation issue is not a very charged one here. Of course people disapprove of illegal immigration, but that's already mainstream here I'd say. I don't feel that black people who are a tiny minority are in any way particularly discriminated by Austrians at all. Believe it or not but I would welcome any foreigners of good character to be swapped for misbehaving Austrians. As stated I value people's characters not their ethnicity.

14 minutes ago, Dobs said:

I don’t know but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a tad disappointed that his level of remarks which are beyond “stupid” and in fact descent to the level of pure evil haven’t convinced you that he is in fact the greatest evil of the list.

I don't know, for me "stupid" is already a strong word. I could also say that these remarks were given by a complete idiot if that fits your attitude more. However, as you know I generally tend to have a very toned done rhetoric. 

For the extent of evilness: well, it's for sure difficult if you have two candidates who both are awful politicians. One does relatively good politics but is a racist; the other completely opposes for what you stand but isn't a racist. So I consider the whole policy package, and therefore it's at least for me not surprising that I would probably vote for the first guy. I'd like to clearly state that this doesn't include David Duke, lizard people believers, vampires, or personal enemies etc. But lastly Ross Barnett is way to unknown for me to have such strong feelings about him.

25 minutes ago, Dobs said:

He is, in fact, one of only two men on this list I would consider truly “evil”. I don’t hand out that moniker lightly as a Christian, but Barnett has earned it.

Same, I rarely use this word as well. I'd say most people who are commonly labelled as evil are misguided. Maybe you are right about Barnett, as said he is basically unknown to me, but I would trust your word any day.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, Timur said:

John F. Kennedy

Hubert Humphrey

Wayne Morse

Lyndon B. Johnson

Stuart Symington

Adlai Stevenson

Rpbert B. Meyner

George Smathers

Ross Barnett

Richard Nixon