The Political Lounge

AMPU To Do List

vcczar

One of my favorite Era of the Future events is: 

"Prominent Evangelical creates Robot Spiritualism in effort to save religion"

In this event, the minister compares himself to St Paul, who was apostle to the gentiles. The minister is the apostle to the robots (sentient robots of the future). He goes around the world hardwiring robots for spirituality, which cases a kind of chaos as the fear of fundamentalist robots grow. 

• Confused 1
  • Based 2

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

One of my favorite Era of the Future events is: 

"Prominent Evangelical creates Robot Spiritualism in effort to save religion"

In this event, the minister compares himself to St Paul, who was apostle to the gentiles. The minister is the apostle to the robots (sentient robots of the future). He goes around the world hardwiring robots for spirituality, which cases a kind of chaos as the fear of fundamentalist robots grow. 

Love that, There can be some fun stuff for the future era

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Love that, There can be some fun stuff for the future era

It can lead to Robot Fundamental Terrorism. Similar but more dangerous than Islamist Terrorism. This one is Christian-based. The Robots, while programmed with spirituality, have a dangerous side-effect in that they can't really handle certain emotions, now that they can be programed for things like spirituality. The trigger is that their evangelical human minister is assassinated, and they end up going nuts. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

It can lead to Robot Fundamental Terrorism. Similar but more dangerous than Islamist Terrorism. This one is Christian-based. The Robots, while programmed with spirituality, have a dangerous side-effect in that they can't really handle certain emotions, now that they can be programed for things like spirituality. The trigger is that their evangelical human minister is assassinated, and they end up going nuts. 

I love it.  Don't know if you've ever played Choice of Robots (text based game on Steam).  You start as a 22-year-old robot hobbyist, but your choices and how you design them can lead to a ton of different outcomes as the decades pass -- impacting global politics, the concept of romance, medicine, war, and your own family.  It's great.

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I love it.  Don't know if you've ever played Choice of Robots (text based game on Steam).  You start as a 22-year-old robot hobbyist, but your choices and how you design them can lead to a ton of different outcomes as the decades pass -- impacting global politics, the concept of romance, medicine, war, and your own family.  It's great.

Haven' played it. Sounds interesting. 

• Like 1

Here's another fun one: 

"Social Media Baron proposes that Social Media form new governments, allowing people to select the government they like best."

The current description is: 

"The new leading social media baron, S. Sylvester Sandwich, known for very controversial, idealistic statements, has proposed that social media replace current forms of government. He argued that if social media companies formed sovereign governments that people could choose the government they wish to be part of and invest in, and they could leave a government for another if they feel that their chosen government did not work for them. Sandwich states that all such governments would likely have to mandate that a government be selected, to avoid a preference for statelessness. Sylvester argues that such government would never see warfare, and the competition would increase the efficiency and benevolence of the governments."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Here's another fun one: 

"Social Media Baron proposes that Social Media form new governments, allowing people to select the government they like best."

The current description is: 

"The new leading social media baron, S. Sylvester Sandwich, known for very controversial, idealistic statements, has proposed that social media replace current forms of government. He argued that if social media companies formed sovereign governments that people could choose the government they wish to be part of and invest in, and they could leave a government for another if they feel that their chosen government did not work for them. Sandwich states that all such governments would likely have to mandate that a government be selected, to avoid a preference for statelessness. Sylvester argues that such government would never see warfare, and the competition would increase the efficiency and benevolence of the governments."

Ha, interesting!  Of course, for as long as one side has something that the other side wants, there will always be war.  But it's an interesting event!

43 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Overall, Era of the Future is almost too foreign policy heavy, too tech heavy, and too dystopian. Trying to figure out how to eventually balance this out more. 

Maybe the possibility of exciting things happening in space travel?  Granted, that's tech heavy, maybe.  But it could be about discoveries that help in medicine or something.  Or, just medicine discoveries in general.

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Maybe the possibility of exciting things happening in space travel?  Granted, that's tech heavy, maybe.  But it could be about discoveries that help in medicine or something.  Or, just medicine discoveries in general.

I think what I need are more cultural and social based events. Medical, science, tech is pretty well covered. 

• Like 1

Ok, I've finally finished updating the descriptions of all 1,700ish Scripted Events. I still don't get to filling out and updating the non-description part of the last 200 events. As such, expect the Scripted event update to last another day or three. 

• Like 1

One of the likely final Era of the Future scripted events belong to a chain in which the UN becomes more powerful, finally calling for a World Government (idea modeled on Star Trek's Federation utopian sense and not in a dystopian way, similar to the Empire in Star Wars). The US is pressured by the UN and the world governments to accept the inevitability of a world government. The UN, as a bargaining chip, offers to place the capital in what will be the former United States. I make the proposed capital San Marcos, TX. I imagine NYC and San Francisco potentially underwater if certain events occur, and so I picked a place inland and decided to selfishly pick the place in which I have most of my happiest memories as an adult in my 20s, and to where I returned briefly after NYC when I was in my mid-30s before moving 30 miles north to Austin TX and finally to Philadelphia. San Marcos TX is clearly the prettiest town in Texas and it fits perfectly fine as a capital of a hypothetical utopia. 

Anyway, the president can give a speech advocating the UN's purpose to join a world government, or they can strongly oppose annexation by the UN ("Come and Take It!"). This event is likely to fire around 2090, if it fires at all, and so it's potentially a game ender. If the president vocalizes support for world government, stating he will use all his authority to make it so, the the game ends next turn with the US as the last independent nation signing the document, and in hopes of creating a new kind of more perfect union. If the president opposes the UN/global effort for world government, it results in the UN-US War, which if lost, the US is forcibly annexed. If won, the US maintains its independence and forces the breakup of the UN. 

• Like 1

Maybe there should be a few potential hard endings at 2100, where things change so much that the country as we know it probably doesn’t exist anymore, one way or the other.  UN World Government.  Alien invasion.  Alien friendship.  Self-sustaining colonies on other planets.  Comet destroys earth.  I’m trying to think of more good ones...humans and robots merge?

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Maybe there should be a few potential hard endings at 2100, where things change so much that the country as we know it probably doesn’t exist anymore, one way or the other.  UN World Government.  Alien invasion.  Alien friendship.  Self-sustaining colonies on other planets.  Comet destroys earth.  I’m trying to think of more good ones...humans and robots merge?

I have no events with aliens arriving--at least not yet. Might not add them for some reason. Comet destroying earth might be a good event chain. I do have humans and robots merging -- Human-AI augmentation is a big part of the Era of the Future. The world leaders in the World Government ending are most likely Human-AI people. There's also Sentient Robots but they're only getting the chance of beginning to be accepted as citizens with rights by the end. 

For the most part I want to heavily balance out the sci-fi nature of Era of the Future. I don't want it to to seem like the game suddenly becomes Star Trek or something. At some point I need to flood in a bunch of cultural and social things that are tech, science, medical, or foreign policy based. Need to see what the future holds for every aspect of liberal arts, athletics, business, sociology, etc. 

• Like 1

My event with the hacked augmented-human American general leading a robot army now has the conditions for war. It's possible to take him out to prevent war, but it's also possible to accepts the war head on. Naturally, losing this war ends the US as it gets taken over by a hacked augmented-human American Caesar. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, vcczar said:

My event with the hacked augmented-human American general leading a robot army now has the conditions for war. It's possible to take him out to prevent war, but it's also possible to accepts the war head on. Naturally, losing this war ends the US as it gets taken over by a hacked augmented-human American Caesar. 

Pin on Movies Scenes

Presumably looking like Joaquin Phoenix as Emperor Commodus in "Gladiator".

• Like 1

Here's another late Era of the Future event description that is interesting. It's for an event in which an Robot Intellectual argues that human government should be replaced by AI-regulated anarchy: 

" A prominent robot intellectual named RX2001-ProfessorType3-JamesPohl-B, known as Prof. Pohl by humans, argues, citing texts and date from the range of human history, that traditional forms of government cannot keep up with a swiftly accelerating world filled with humans, augmented humans, and sentient robots. For the most part, population is self-reliant by virtue of programing and other 21st century innovation, Prof. Pohl argues. As such, basic regulation of a non-governed world is all that is needed. "

My favorite professor of all-time, James Pohl, is the namesake for the robot. I took 5 of his military history courses, despite my pacifistic tendencies. He would have disapproved of anarchy, but his robot version does not. 

If I can remember all the courses correctly they were:

• Military History of the Western World
  • Issues of the American Civil War (something like that)
  • War and Society
  • American Military History
  • French Revolution and Napoleon

War and Society was theoretical but very interesting. It covered leading military strategists that wrote text and the political and social aspects of war. It was this class where I learned that there was military grade non-lethal weaponry that could incapacitate people just as well as lethal weaponry but obviously without killing them. With this knowledge, I've advocated its use for police and home gun ownership. We didn't cover all the texts, but we were to read a book by a Soviet military strategist on "a winnable nuclear war."

All of Dr. Pohl's classes ended before we got to the end of the course. I think we only got to the end of WWII in both the American Military History and the Military History of the Western World class. We did get to the end of the Napoleonic Wars but he had to skip over events from 1813 -- Battle of Leipzig (also called The Battle of Nations). He might have gotten to the end of the US Civil War, but that was a summer session class, so he probably managed his time better. 

Dr. Pohl taught at one time or another at West Point and the Command and General Staff College. I was always surprised that he only wrote maybe one book and a few papers. Unlike most tenured academics, he had almost no publications. 

• Based 1

17 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Here's another late Era of the Future event description that is interesting. It's for an event in which an Robot Intellectual argues that human government should be replaced by AI-regulated anarchy: 

" A prominent robot intellectual named RX2001-ProfessorType3-JamesPohl-B, known as Prof. Pohl by humans, argues, citing texts and date from the range of human history, that traditional forms of government cannot keep up with a swiftly accelerating world filled with humans, augmented humans, and sentient robots. For the most part, population is self-reliant by virtue of programing and other 21st century innovation, Prof. Pohl argues. As such, basic regulation of a non-governed world is all that is needed. "

My favorite professor of all-time, James Pohl, is the namesake for the robot. I took 5 of his military history courses, despite my pacifistic tendencies. He would have disapproved of anarchy, but his robot version does not. 

If I can remember all the courses correctly they were:

• Military History of the Western World
  • Issues of the American Civil War (something like that)
  • War and Society
  • American Military History
  • French Revolution and Napoleon

War and Society was theoretical but very interesting. It covered leading military strategists that wrote text and the political and social aspects of war. It was this class where I learned that there was military grade non-lethal weaponry that could incapacitate people just as well as lethal weaponry but obviously without killing them. With this knowledge, I've advocated its use for police and home gun ownership. We didn't cover all the texts, but we were to read a book by a Soviet military strategist on "a winnable nuclear war."

All of Dr. Pohl's classes ended before we got to the end of the course. I think we only got to the end of WWII in both the American Military History and the Military History of the Western World class. We did get to the end of the Napoleonic Wars but he had to skip over events from 1813 -- Battle of Leipzig (also called The Battle of Nations). He might have gotten to the end of the US Civil War, but that was a summer session class, so he probably managed his time better. 

Dr. Pohl taught at one time or another at West Point and the Command and General Staff College. I was always surprised that he only wrote maybe one book and a few papers. Unlike most tenured academics, he had almost no publications. 

I love the robot naming scheme.  Haha!

Gotta stop for the day. I really thought I'd knock out the Scripted Events today, but I still have 50 left and am quite burned out. Most likely, I'll finish these tomorrow, and will hopefully start the War Chart too. Everything is just taking longer than usual. 

I really want all of the updating done by Feb 1st to ensure there is no early release date delay. 

• Like 1