The Political Lounge

AMPU To Do List

vcczar

27 minutes ago, Patine said:

Oh! 😮

Say, has governability of certain potentially annexed areas over the longer term been considered as a factor, yet? I'd brought it up a little while ago.

Yeah via events. The hypothetical annexations have pro-independence movements and such. Far-flung empires will become a headache. 

World War I updates:

• Lots of opportunities to jump in. Most of the time, jumping in is not popular with the public. Sometimes it's unclear if the voters will be happy with going in or staying out of the war. 
  • The Zimmermann Telegram event allows the chance that Mexico will invade if we enter WWI. If Mexico wins Mexican Invasion of US During World War I, then Mexico regains AZ, NM, and TX. 
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

Will there be any flavor events for the Tammany Hall Machine or the Daley Machine in Chicago?

Governor's can create Political Machines. It's captured there. There's also an event with, I believe, Ida Tarbell, exposing political corruption in major cities. But I don't think I have any scripted events for either of those specifically. 

@MrPotatoTed is going to hate the 1920s and 1930s. There's so many events in which the most beneficial response overall decreases mil prep. The isolationist+world peace movement of the 1920s and early 1930s really made Germany's early WWII success easier. US, UK, and Fr were routinely signing deals to decrease their weaponry, navies, etc. Italy, Japan, Germany were only occasional signatories. Russia was never part of these. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@MrPotatoTed is going to hate the 1920s and 1930s. There's so many events in which the most beneficial response overall decreases mil prep. The isolationist+world peace movement of the 1920s and early 1930s really made Germany's early WWII success easier. US, UK, and Fr were routinely signing deals to decrease their weaponry, navies, etc. Italy, Japan, Germany were only occasional signatories. Russia was never part of these. 

Heading into the 1940s with no military preparedness feels like a dangerous path.  Haha.

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Heading into the 1940s with no military preparedness feels like a dangerous path.  Haha.

The upside is that it raises relations really high. If Hitler never gains power, which is possible, there could be a lengthy time of peace. 

• Like 1

Just now, vcczar said:

Some scripted events allow for some specific offices to gain/lose points when an event occurs. This will also now come with a 10% chance of +/- 1 in their next election bid.

To add, the most common office winning points is actually the Gov and Sen of NY because so many events are NY focused. This is going to make this state highly targeted by players from about 1800-1980. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Some scripted events allow for some specific offices to gain/lose points when an event occurs. This will also now come with a 10% chance of +/- 1 in their next election bid.

Maybe they could also have a chance of +1 Command?  That way, people with 0 command who get hands-on with an event have a chance of becoming President?  Like Cuomo during COVID...before his scandals became public.

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Or at least losing obscure -- opening a path to become faction leader and potentially getting Command that way...though that's a longer haul, someone becomes President 20 years after rising to fame from an event. Ha.

I'm just going to keep it +1. They'll have to earn command. The events that do these are mainly local, so obscure and command won't make much sense for most of these. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm not convinced the Soviets would have accepted the peace terms the Operation Valkyrie instigators were seeking. They were out for blood after what was done to their country during Operation Barbarossa, and likely would have accepted nothing short of the dismantling and occupation of the Third Reich, completely, as agreed to at Yalta. That's a fact often ignored in Operation Valkyrie narratives, which always only focuses on the Western Allied response.

It's kind of an open ended event in the sense that it can occur at any stage of the war. So it might occur when Stalin is aligned with Hitler, but I understand your point.

28 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I've now added events in which Hitler is assassinated and which following the assassination, the new government surrenders the war. 

So the hypothetical Goerdeler government will be named in the game? I know they are saying 'What's in a name', but I like historical details.

1 hour ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

So the hypothetical Goerdeler government will be named in the game? I know they are saying 'What's in a name', but I like historical details.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I still don't think Stalin would accept or tolerate it, and insist on the Yalta decision, though.

To both of you. The issue with adding a lot of specifics in many cases, requires me to create more and more events to cater to those specifics. I just haven't the time as one person to do a 7-person job. As such, I have to have hypothetical events that are general or broad enough to encompass many of the events I have. 

It is possible that once people start playing the CPU version of the game and see how the events are created and such that suggested events that are more specific can be added later. However for now, I have to have broad events, if I want to have hypothetical events at all. I'm running against a severe time-crunch that raised my blood pressure by the day. If I survive the release date for this game, I'll be amazed. 

In regards to Soviets continuing the war despite Germans surrendering, following the assassination. A German-Soviet pact, whether it was treated as a kind of alliance or not, is beside the point. If Hitler gets assassinated early in the war, it wouldn't make sense that the Soviets invade. It only makes sense if Hitler invades Soviets and fails, and then the assassination occurs. Even then, the German assassination event leads to a surrender and diplomatic negotiations with UK, FR, and possibly US, and Soviets. 

• Like 1

I've now created an event that allows Nazi Germany to build the atomic bomb first and end the war by bombing London and Moscow. I feel like the Nazi's would have aimed for population centers. This event ends World War II. It's a very rare event. Germans are half as likely to produce their atomic bombs than America is. Nevertheless, the tension of creating them first is now there. 

• Like 1