The Political Lounge

AMPU To Do List

vcczar

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Do you have a, "mechanism," or, "vector," as alternate history writers use the terms, for such an assumption, or just unspecified fiat, out of curiosity?

Yeltsin’s Russia crashes immediately. Soviets still have enough infrastructure to refill the vacuum. Gorbachev’s support increases as he’s out of office. In this scenario for a video game. 

I'm now at the Sept 11 2001 attacks in the update. My goal is to get to the present by the end of tomorrow, then work on Era of the Future on Thursday. On Friday, I'll hopefully get the War Charts done in one day. 

I'll likely be able to work on one weekend day. On that day, I'll probably try to knock out Gov Actions, Pres Actions, and SC cases---either all of these or some of these. 

Monday, I'll start on Legis props, should these be done. All next week will likely be legis props. 

Following that, I'll find something else on the "to do" list, but I'll probably solidify the rules ( @MrPotatoTed ) unless something else seems more urgent. 

• Like 2

To force the Iraq War during the War on Terror, the president now needs to be part of the faction with the Big Oil & Gas card, Expansionist Card, or have controversial. This is because the WMD argument has to be generated on flimsy evidence. 

Not the highest priority, but at some point we'll need industries to move over to the Historical Era tab -- by which I mean that we'll need industry levels for each state and potential state for each era.

Obviously this will be needed if we have multiple start dates -- but even if you can only start in 1772, it'll still be needed so that when you conquer Alberta in 1994, you don't end up with a 1772 version of Alberta. Haha.

• Thanks 1

Let me reiterate that updating 80% of these scripted events is a huge pain in the ass. It's a tedium that makes bashing one's head into a brick wall seem sensical. Can't wait to finally be done with this, although I won't be surprised if I'm forced to comb through it again. It's definitely this process that makes the idea of making another game after this unappealing. 

Anyway. Back to work. 

• Agree 1

Alright. I've filled out the descripts for all events up to the present. I'm not done updating the other parts. Basically, I'm still got 2014-2022 to go. I'm going to take a break and work on some domestic things. Still hope to get these done, but I confess, I'm massively burned out. 

• Like 1

General thought: I'm not sure that we need the "easily overwhelmed" trait.  

What does it mean for somebody to be a level 5 Administrator, or level 5 Legislator, or level 5 Governor, level 5 military...but simultaneously be easily overwhelmed?  Same with the new "crisis manager" trait.  As a professional crisis manager myself, you can't be easily overwhelmed and survive in that career field. Haha.

I'd propose that we could replace most things that create "easily overwhelmed" by just docking the appropriate skill level instead.  I'm happy to make those changes myself, I know you're busy.  Just wanted to pitch the idea.

30 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

What does it mean for somebody to be a level 5 Administrator, or level 5 Legislator, or level 5 Governor, level 5 military...but simultaneously be easily overwhelmed?  Same with the new "crisis manager" trait.  As a professional crisis manager myself, you can't be easily overwhelmed and survive in that career field. Haha.

I'd propose that we could replace most things that create "easily overwhelmed" by just docking the appropriate skill level instead.  I'm happy to make those changes myself, I know you're busy.  Just wanted to pitch the idea.

I see your point. My suggestion is different though. We could also say a Level 4 or 5 person in any field cannot hold the "easily overwhelmed" trait. If they are selected to level up, they lose the trait. If they go down from 4 (due to being in office for a long time) there is a chance they get the trait. 

3 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Let me think about that. Yeah, maybe when it is "earned" it triggers a -1 in all abilities until it is removed somehow. I'll have to think on the Crisis Manager trait. I want to keep it, but maybe I should have it operate differently. I want it to be an extremely special trait that few can have that operates only when there is a crisis. 

2 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I see your point. My suggestion is different though. We could also say a Level 4 or 5 person in any field cannot hold the "easily overwhelmed" trait. If they are selected to level up, they lose the trait. If they go down from 4 (due to being in office for a long time) there is a chance they get the trait. 

• Like 1

Seems like Era of the Future is mixed with a ton of alternate events so I'll work on these at the same time. I think all Era of the Future events will be 5% chance to happen. This should ensure they stretch out over decades. Some terms might be mostly general events. Eventually, this will fill up with more events. 

• Like 1

There is now a non-nuclear Cold War ending to the game. The game ends in a Communist takeover of the US if the following countries become Communist at the same time:

• Russia
  • China
  • Vietnam
  • unified Korea
  • Iran
  • France
  • unified Germany
  • Mexico (if not part of the US)

If this happens, Communism is recognized as the leading constitutional order of the world, a growing communist revolution takes place worldwide, and the player is left with the image of an unstoppable Communist revolution marching on the White House and Congress. 

Note: It's extremely rare for all these conditions to be met, but they're there. 

• Based 1

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Why would relations have to inherently be bad between the U.S. and France. A lot of Communist takeovers of countries have been when the sitting Government has been friendly with the U.S., and often, actually, BECAUSE of that fact. Think Fulgencio in Cuba and the Revolution of 1959, the Samosa Family in Nicaragua and the Revolution of 1979, 80%+ of South Vietnam's population believed to be in support of the Viet Cong despite Nguyen being in power, etc.

That may be true, but that's the situation in this alternate history. For the thousandth time--and I hope for the last time--I can't allow every possibility or the game would never come out. I have to tailor events, picking and choosing, sometimes cases that might not be the most likely, but still possible or interesting for the sake of narrative. As a game maker, I'm trying to make use of the relations with France meter. There will be other instances in which I choose a course for the game that doesn't allow for all of the possibilities, even in some cases the most likely scenarios. While the game is historical, the fact that I have alternate pathways, also makes the game somewhat fictional, allowing me to have creative license. The combination of my creative license and the restraint on events that I must apply for practical reasons (releasing the game Nov 2022) explains this. Please make further comments with this understanding, even if you disagree with my narrative for alternate events. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Out of curiosity, is this pre-WWII France when Communism was relatively accepted amongst a strong minority IRL or an option for cold war France to turn Communist?

It can happen anytime from the 1920s until about the late 1970s. It has to meet a lot of requirements.

Wrote the description for the event in which the rescued Napoleon declares a new empire from New Orleans called Napoleonica. 

I think the Napoleon alternate history is my favorite. Really hard to flesh it out as he has to avoid a natural death (I have an event for his historic death). If he's rescued, there's a chance he declared a new nation because he's denied US citizenship for diplomatic reasons. He'll claim all of the Louisiana Purchase. This leads to the 2nd Napoleonic War! 

1 minute ago, Patine said:

You could fudge a bit, as there is a theory with significant credibility that he died on Saint Helena from arsenic building up in his system, not natural causes. I'm just saying.

Yeah, I mention on the "natural death" even that it is from stomach cancer, although some believed he may have slowly been poisoned. The alternate Napoleon events suppose that what killed him (I believe it was cancer) happened later. 

The alt events are unlikely to happen, but it's possible that Napoleon is a major figure in the game from the 1790s to 1850s or so. This assumes all of this occurs and then the alternate Napoleon death for when he's got an American empire doesn't fire. I think I'll have it 5% likely to happen every turn once the empire is established. This should place his death about 1850, I think, most of the time that this alt history line even occurs. I'd say it happens only 1 in 50 to 100 playthroughs. 

Taking a break. May take me much more time to finish the rest of the events. I thought I was almost done but the number of future and alternate events left to fill out exceeds 150. As such, I'll still be working on these tomorrow, and possibly over the weekend. 

I really Really need to be done with my "to do" list by Feb 1st, which is when Anthony is supposed to be working on this game full time.