The Political Lounge

AMPU To Do List

vcczar

I'm now in 1961 with the update. I was hoping to get to 1972, miraculously, but won't get there. I won't be online very much Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. It's even possible I won't be working on the game until Tuesday after I teach, but I'll try to sneak in a minutes here and there. 

• Like 1

There's now a chance the Soviets to "out play" the US. If the US does not contest the Cuban Missiles, and relations sour and military is unprepared, then a Soviet sneak invasion with missile strikes can occur. 

There's also a chance that a blundered missile crisis response leads to a blitzkrieg take over of West Germany by Soviet forces. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

There's now a chance the Soviets to "out play" the US. If the US does not contest the Cuban Missiles, and relations sour and military is unprepared, then a Soviet sneak invasion with missile strikes can occur. 

There's also a chance that a blundered missile crisis response leads to a blitzkrieg take over of West Germany by Soviet forces. 

Is there anything (even in the slightest) that could lead to war with the Soviets right after WWII? It wasn't very realistic, but there were certainly major proponents of such a plan (including Patton and Churchill).

• Based 1

11 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Is there anything (even in the slightest) that could lead to war with the Soviets right after WWII? It wasn't very realistic, but there were certainly major proponents of such a plan (including Patton and Churchill).

Yeah, I have one instance that creates a cause -- the post-war occupation of Korea. I have no other immediate scenario that can occur that allows it within a turn or two of WWII. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, I have one instance that creates a cause -- the post-war occupation of Korea. I have no other immediate scenario that can occur that allows it within a turn or two of WWII. 

Cold war presidency may be among the hardest, other than pre civil war era. I'll try to just control different branches other than executive during those times

12 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Cold war presidency may be among the hardest, other than pre civil war era. I'll try to just control different branches other than executive during those times

I think 1850s and 1950s-1960s are the most difficult decades in this game. The 1850s is harder because there's almost no good choice. The 1960s is more obvious what needs to be done, but it's one of those things that only a militarist would want to do. Basically, if Cold War is unleashed, you can't really play pacifist without losing support of allies and voters. One can reduce the chance of outright war, but that's about the best one can hope for. 

Filled in some of the events leading up to 1972:

• MLK can survive assassination
  • Soviets can land on the moon first

I notice the flavor events are getting fewer because most of the pop culture things like McDonald's, Disney, NFL, Golden Age of Hollywood, and etc. have made their start. I'll have things like Starbucks and things like that, but they weren't in the timeline book I used which only went to 2005. So I'll have to add more recently notable things like Amazon, Starbucks, etc at a later time.

• Like 1

Chiang Kai-shek and the Republic of China now has a chance of attempting to retake China following the Great Leap Forward, which led to a massive famine. If that happens, there are events for either side winning that is influenced on whether or not the US aids the Republic of China. Aiding them can lead to a war with Russia (USSR). 

Updates today:

- Note will probably do War Charts update after Scripted Events are updated. I plan on getting rid of almost all the generic wars and just give names to all the wars that are triggered via event. Wars because of the meters will be generic.

- Think about creating PV min/max caps to prevent unrealistic looking elections results.

- I'm now at 1980. Hopefully, can squeak in more time at some point.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

Updates today:

- Note will probably do War Charts update after Scripted Events are updated. I plan on getting rid of almost all the generic wars and just give names to all the wars that are triggered via event. Wars because of the meters will be generic.

- Think about creating PV min/max caps to prevent unrealistic looking elections results.

- I'm now at 1980. Hopefully, can squeak in more time at some point.

PV min/max caps are super smart. I am so delighted that he is deciding to go with real election results.

5 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

PV min/max caps are super smart. I am so delighted that he is deciding to go with real election results.

I'm just hoping he doesn't want # of voters. That will be a nightmare to spreadsheet, especially with expanded nations and such.

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm just hoping he doesn't want # of voters. That will be a nightmare to spreadsheet, especially with expanded nations and such.

Yeah..% is just fine I know people love %'s, But I don't think many care about actual numbers. There could be a general event "recount" added, but that also just needs %-Not number. 

Edited by themiddlepolitical

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

Think about creating PV min/max caps to prevent unrealistic looking elections results

Please. Please. Please. 

Thank you for thinking of this... I notice a major problem in a lot of other political games like Democracy 4 for example... they are TOO easy. Winning 90% of the vote by abolishing government or being an autocratic asshole is funny and memey, but I want a challenge. I want elections to be a fight. I want a landslide to be achievable obviously. Maybe even winning all states as Reagan in 84, but not 90% of the popular vote to go with it. 😛

Edited by Pringles

20 minutes ago, Patine said:

I am unfamiliar with Democracy 4, or probably most of the others you're thinking of. I don't believe I've played any election simulators not made by the Narcissist, personally. One of the big reasons has been that most of the others only allow games - or even customization - within modern U.S. Presidential or modern British Parliamentary elections, and nothing beyond that. As much as I detest Burgoyne, personally, his games in total, the fan-made scenarios, and scenario editing (especially with imagination) can cover a HUGE scope of electoral areas, even outright fictitious ones.

Yeah... Democracy 4 is pretty innovative when it comes to customizing the legislation of a country. It's very moddable and customizable. Plenty of mods on a workshop. But here's a screenshot of a meme game I was doing as the National Front in France.

I literally was a terrible person. Banned immigration, took away workers benefits, all welfare, shoved religious propaganda down the populations throat, and a lot of other awful things... 

And guess what the result was. Me being re-elected 5 times and abolishing term limits to do that. The people loved me. 

I was on the hardest difficulty as well lmao. Here's a picture from one of my re-elections. It gets really boring after being this easy. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by Pringles

2 hours ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Yeah..% is just fine I know people love %'s, But I don't think many care about actual numbers. There could be a general event "recount" added, but that also just needs %-Not number. 

I think “caps per era” would also make sense, 81% in 1804 might make sense, but not in 1990