The Political Lounge

AMPU: The Big Red Button (1960 Playtest)

Cal

9 minutes ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

GALLUP PROJECTIONS

Group 4 - Republicans

Douglas MacArthur will sweep every state

Group 4 - Democrats

Reagan wins every contest but Pennsylvania, which goes to Kennedy

That's before Gus Hall withdrawals and before any actions are put into place, right? Though I agree, it looks like nothing is going to change those projections. 

3 minutes ago, pman said:

That's before Gus Hall withdrawals and before any actions are put into place, right? Though I agree, it looks like nothing is going to change those projections. 

No die rolls, no actions, just momentum and points from the previous groups

After the town hall a tired Hubert walks to the bus. After a long pause Tip opens the door for the candidate. 

Hubert: How'd I do guys?

Mike Mansfield: I suppose you did an acceptable job

FDR Jr: Stop it Mike, you did fine Hubert, you did a fine job with those questions.

Hubert: Thanks gentlemen, I really do like Reagan and John. Those questions were unfair.

RFK: Yeah, thanks for going easy on Jack. That'll make my Easter easier.

Hubert: Well, Jack's private business is none of anyone's business besides Jackie's.

RFK: Of course

Hubert: Hey guys, has anyone called dibs on the leftover cheesesteaks from the event?

FDR JR: Have at it, they're all for you.

Hubert: Really? Wow! Thanks guys, you're like brothers!  Pass the liquid cheese over here too.

Tip: For crying out loud, just make sure he doesn't fall asleep in that damn Whiz.

Some people put ketchup on their cheesesteaks, Hubert takes his with extra whiz. That's Hubert. He just discovered "liquid cheese". He's happy, you'll never find a happier loser. 

Kraft Cheez Whiz Cheese Spread | Walmart Canada

Edited by pman
  • Haha 1

A last minute change of strategy from Tip O'Neill leads to the greatest event of the campaign. Hubert focuses on Ohio and gives a major speech in front of Grandpa's Cheesebarn in Ashland Ohio. Yes, that's a real place and yes, Hubert had room for it after all the wet cheese in Philly. The speech will forever go down in history as the "Great Cheese Speech."

Hubert: Thanks for joining us here today where such tasty cheese is made. Seriously, there are 25 forms of cheddar alone. Coffee cheese, red wine cheese, beet cheese is my personal favorite. Oh and the free samples! Don’t get me started on those. I started this campaign to eat cheese. I mean I started this campaign to fight for the working class of this country. We’re not a bunch of empty suites like the Republicans. We’re a party of hard-working, diverse Americans.

Grandpa's Cheese Barn | Vacation road trips, Trip planning, Weekend  adventure

Edited by pman
  • Haha 2
  • Based 1

(Re; the discussion regarding endorsements)

The thing is..."do" endorsements actually matter?  In the real world?

It doesn't matter how many endorsements a Tulsi Gabbard or a Michael Bloomberg or a Donald Trump rack up -- I'm never ever ever going to vote for them.

The reason Pete endorsing Biden mattered (to use the example provided) is that it removed the other main "moderate" from the race.  Pete and Joe were running in the same lane, so to speak, and Pete leaving meant that lane was now all for Joe.  (Yes, Klobuchar was in that same lane too, but she never garnered signifiant support).  Meanwhile, Bernie and Warren were left fighting over votes in an arguably smaller lane to begin with.  

This is pretty much already reflected by the fact that there's a penalty if multiple candidates from the same ideology are running (like JFK and Adlai were, until I realized my mistake there today.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

It doesn't matter how many endorsements a Tulsi Gabbard or a Michael Bloomberg or a Donald Trump rack up -- I'm never ever ever going to vote for them.

The reason Pete endorsing Biden mattered (to use the example provided) is that it removed the other main "moderate" from the race.  Pete and Joe were running in the same lane, so to speak, and Pete leaving meant that lane was now all for Joe.  (Yes, Klobuchar was in that same lane too, but she never garnered signifiant support).  Meanwhile, Bernie and Warren were left fighting over votes in an arguably smaller lane to begin with.  

This is pretty much already reflected by the fact that there's a penalty if multiple candidates from the same ideology are running (like JFK and Adlai were, until I realized my mistake there today.)

That's a good point!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Great, Great point!

People acting like Warren endorsing Bernie would have mattered.

It wouldn’t have

https://morningconsult.com/2020/03/10/warren-endorsement-sanders-biden-election/

Either way he was getting the leftover “super progressive” support from her..and the rest where going towards the other way

• Like 2

The 4th Democratic Debate

In a fierce debate between Senator Kennedy and Ronald Reagan, the actor, the blows exchanged between the two left the other's points muddied and their performance without a guiding purpose. 

However, Senator Humphrey, fresh off the campaign bus, was able to articulate in an at least mediocre way why he felt that he was the best choice to take on communism abroad. 

He wins the debate, but due to his performance not being that much better than the nearest competitor, he does not get a bonus in the upcoming primary group.

Kennedy and Reagan's shocking performance at the debate, as our dual frontrunners, nets them both a -2 in the upcoming group of primaries. 

• Like 1

After William Miller declares his intention to bow out of the presidential primaries to his aides, they run to the presses to make it official. While he tries to get to the newspaper editor in time, unfortunately there is a lot of traffic in New York City that day. 

Due to this snafu of a scandal, he receives -1 in the upcoming primary group. 

@Willthescout7

On 4/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, bradleyg223 said:

Ronald Reagan to make a campaign stop in Ohio.

A success! The Ohioans love Ronald Reagan, the actor!

+1 to Reagan in OH.

8 hours ago, Willthescout7 said:

General MacArthur will campaign in Pennsylvania.

General MacArthur refers to Pennsylvania as "Penislyvania", while addressing a congregation outside of a Philidadelphia church on a Sunday morning. 

-1 to MacArthur in PA. 

7 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

Reposting PA focus again, in case it needs to be said.

An overwhelming success! Percy takes the campaign bus to the same church, just fifteen minutes after MacArthur leaves in a huff. When he refers to their home state as "Pennsylvania," they audibly cheer and scream their support. 

He's confused, but he receives +1 in the state. Having rolled a 6, he could have gotten +2 if he had certain traits.

6 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Kennedy will focus on Indiana.

No impact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Primary Group 4: Republican Primary

The Republican Primary is a race again!

In Pennsylvania, the now-famous businessman Charles Percy came roaring back with a vengeance! He beat out General MacArthur with a good sized lead among the voters in the state primary. +128 delegates to Charles Percy. 

Surprisingly, the untested Percy was not a favorite of the typically establishment, liberal loving voters of DC. General MacArthur, in a stunning display, wins DC and its 3 delegates.

MacArthur continues his string of victory in unimportant states in the Hoosier State of Indiana, where he decisively won and earned 26 more delegates.

In Ohio, the favorite son candidate Senator Bricker won, in a nail biter over General MacArthur. He earns a whopping 75 delegates.

Businessman Charles Percy won the most delegates in Primary Phase 4, so he gets +1 in the last primary group and Liberal enthusiasm moves +1 towards the Red Team. He is now the delegate leader, and thus once again he has become the Republican frontrunner for the presidential nomination.

For losing as the frontrunner, General MacArthur gets -1 in Primary Group 5, and RW Populist enthusiasm moves +1 towards the Democratic Party. 

Delegate standing post Primary Group 4: 

Businessman Charles Percy (300)
General Douglas MacArthur (129)
Senator Bricker (75)
Former nominee Thomas Dewey (12)

Primary Group 4: Democratic Primary

Ronald Reagan, the actor, seems to continue to roll on in Pennsylvania, where he wins just narrowly with Senator Kennedy on his trail, with Humphrey surprisingly close behind. 32 delegates to Ronald Reagan. On the sheet, Kennedy appears to refuse defeat. However, Ronald Reagan trucks on.

In Indiana, Kennedy sneaks out a close win after a recount and the states 52 delegates.

Kennedy again demands a recount and receives 75 delegates in Ohio.

Senator Humphrey racks up an unimportant win in DC, garnering 3 delegates in a state no one bothered to visit. This is only after a lengthy recount he initiated against the Reagan campaign, which surprisingly paid off.

Senator John F. Kennedy won the most delegates in Primary Phase 3, so Moderate Enthusiasm moves +1 towards the Blue Team. Senator Kennedy is now the Democratic frontrunner for the presidential nomination. Kennedy gets +1 in Primary Group 4.

For losing as the frontrunner, Reagan gets -1 in the next election, and Conservative Enthusiasm moves one tick towards the Republicans.

Delegate standing post Primary Group 4: 
Senator JFK: 179
The actor Ronald Reagan: 59
Senator HHH: 3

We have one last phase before the convention. Get your picks in and I'll try to roll tomorrow morning. I have to be up at 8:30 anyway for some review session. I will not be available all of Thursday, as I have an exam that takes 7 and a half hours that day. However, given we are on a 48 hour schedule after after May 5th, that should be fine.

I'm going to go ahead and calculate the final debate and scandal rolls. Action to all players for presidential campaign actions. @MrPotatoTed @Vols21 @pman @OrangeP47 @Lars @bradleyg223 @Ich_bin_Tyler @Mark_W @ShortKing @Willthescout7

Edited by Cal
  • Based 1

Final Democratic Debate

Ronald Reagan, the actor, dominates in an absolutely brilliant display of oratory talent and debate skill. He clearly is ready to become the next President of the United States, and, quite frankly, Senators Kennedy and Humphrey looked like children next to him. 

+1 to Reagan, -1 to Kennedy and Humphrey.

• Like 1

Blasphemy! There are news articles reporting that Ronald Reagan, prior to seeking the Democratic nomination, was an ardent Nixon supporter and that he was only keeping his party registration with the Democrats to form a "Democrats for Nixon" movement. 

While these accusations are baseless, Reagan gets -1 in the next set of primaries. (Which he is set to dominate).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@CalHubert fresh off his scintillating win in Washington D.C. will campaign in West Virginia. Rumor has that it's because they have cave ripened blue-cheese there. The reality is they're campaigning there because that's where Tip drove the bus. 

3 hours ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

Gallup Primary Tracker (some sheet things got kerfuffled)

Republicans
MacArthur - 193
Bricker - 75
Hoover - 22
Percy - 236

Democrats
Kennedy - 155
Humphrey - 27
Reagan - 75

Hubert only has 3 delegates I thought? lol, he'll take 27 though.