The Political Lounge

AMPU: The Big Red Button (1960 Playtest)

Cal

Just now, Cal said:
1 hour ago, pman said:

Alright @Cal for the sake of moving this thing along, if you're ready to do the next primaries, I'll stay in as no deal has been reached. I'll focus on New Jersey

No effect.

1 hour ago, pman said:

Alright @Cal for the sake of moving this thing along, if you're ready to do the next primaries, I'll stay in as no deal has been reached. I'll focus on New Jersey

The rally backfires. -1 to HHH in NJ.

Why did I do HHH twice? Ignore the second one. Obviously, I am not with it today.

7 minutes ago, Mark_W said:

Estes Kefauver backs out and endorses JFK, Gus Hall will persevere for the time being.

Hopefully Kefauver gets a cozy cabinet position offer! Unless...VP? 

• Like 1

In my opinion here is the best tickets for each party:

Blue: JFK/Ronald Reagan ticket- This would possibly be a dominant ticket for the entire U.S- I don't even know if it would be beatable by a red ticket of any kind.

Red: Hoover/MacArthur- Hear me out, Hoover has some good traits (and one or two bad) and is a moderate, While MacArthur can maybe pull some southern delegates. I think no matter what JFK has the NE region locked down..so that will be hard to get any EV's there anyways. 

• Like 3

from the smoke-filled back rooms:

Vice Chairman of the California Republican party, Caspar Weinberger calls up his good friend in New York, former head of the OSS in Europe, William J Casey.    they discuss a little politics and agree they like what they've been seeing from that young upstart Reagan.  "He says a lot of the right things, it's just too bad he's running for the wrong team, we could make a superstar out of him"     Cap gets to the point when he asks Casey if he thinks the Kennedy Crime Syndicate is trying to influence our primaries out there too,   Casey can see their hooks in Mass and NJ, but nothing we can't handle.   Johnny Soprano is keeping an eye on things for us in Newark.

as the conversation continues, Cap worries about having a unknown and untested guy like Percy with Rockefeller and country club R's pulling his strings and a fire-breathing geriatric general running in the lead.  "You need to call your buddy Charles Adams and see if he can reel in his boy Flip Flop Tom.   Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't agree to be Percy's VP candidate next week."  they both laugh.   "If the outlook doesn't improve soon, we need to get Ike on the phone and start looking at the more drastic Plan B we talked about earlier"   (the nuclear option if you will)

Edited by Vols21

1 hour ago, themiddlepolitical said:

In my opinion here is the best tickets for each party:

Blue: JFK/Ronald Reagan ticket- This would possibly be a dominant ticket for the entire U.S- I don't even know if it would be beatable by a red ticket of any kind.

A JFK/ Reagan ticket would be damn near impossible to beat in 1960, totally agree. The only weakness is that they are both controversial. They're also both under 50 but likely GOP ticket are dinosaurs and Woolly Mammoths. Reagan and JFK are both also likable, charismatic, etc.  If we stay unified we beat them. We know it and they know it. We just need to stay unified.   

Edited by pman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pman said:

A JFK/ Reagan ticket would be damn near impossible to beat in 1960, totally agree. The only weakness is that they are both controversial. They're also both under 50 but likely GOP ticket are dinosaurs and Woolly Mammoths. Reagan and JFK are both also likable, charismatic, etc.  If we stay unified we beat them. We know it and they know it. We just need to stay unified.   

I also think a double charismatic ticket might have a downside as it would take the attention away from the top of the ticket. This is one reason why the VP is never more or as charismatic as the top of the ticket. There are some exceptions--McKinley/Roosevelt, but that was before TV. You end up getting really bad VP picks a lot of the time because they don't want the VP to out shine the Pres. Nom. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I also think a double charismatic ticket might have a downside as it would take the attention away from the top of the ticket. This is one reason why the VP is never more or as charismatic as the top of the ticket. There are some exceptions--McKinley/Roosevelt, but that was before TV. You end up getting really bad VP picks a lot of the time because they don't want the VP to out shine the Pres. Nom. 

You know, I honestly never thought about it like that, but it does put some things into an interesting perspective in modern times.  It never occurred to me a ticket might "settle for less".

31 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Very, very true. My logic is simply that we have by far the two best politicians of that generation in the same political party and in terms of the game, we all know that JFK is frail...But you're completely right, you almost never get a charismatic VP. Competent managers, geographic matches, ideological compliments but almost never two charismatic leaders. 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:51 PM, Cal said:

Or perhaps he will continue the family tradition and run for a representative seat in Massachusetts? The sky is the limit with no historical expectations.

Not with zero points in legislative, he wont.

• Haha 1

I kinda want to wait for the actual post before posting my next action.  Not contesting since we all see the sheet I just don't want to go off unprompted, but since I'm absent all day at work, I'll post my action for Phase 4 before going to bed if Cal doesn't post Phase 3 before I sleep.

• Like 1

2 quick questions:

1) Mark withdrew, that should factor into NJ and MA right?

2) I was looking over the rules yesterday and it looks like the person you endorse gets no benefit from you withdrawing and endorsing them unless they have actual delegates, is that correct? Or is there some sort of benefit they get from withdrawing during the primaries? 

2 minutes ago, pman said:

2 quick questions:

1) Mark withdrew, that should factor into NJ and MA right?

2) I was looking over the rules yesterday and it looks like the person you endorse gets no benefit from you withdrawing and endorsing them unless they have actual delegates, is that correct? Or is there some sort of benefit they get from withdrawing during the primaries? 

I think he technically withdrew after the rolls had started though, but I don't recall the specific timing last night.

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Willthescout7 tagging you here since it says you haven't seen the group messages. Any chance you can finish the CA bios before May 1st? We are trying to finish up all the states by then. This is a higher priority than this playtest right now. 

Yes. My semester ends April 29th. I'm going to knock a bunch off during the mornings while my wife is asleep, and the rest in a binge on Friday when my semester officially ends. I'll get it done. 

• Thanks 1

On a campaign bus, somewhere USA. Does it matter where?

RFK: Do you think it's odd that I am campaigning against my brother?

Franklin Roosevelt Jr: Life is odd but no, you're a liberal, he's a moderate. That's what primaries are for.

Hubert wakes up

Hubert: Guys, I had a dream. I was eating cheese in the White House.

Tip O'Neill:  Go back to sleep Hubert.

Hubert falls back to sleep

Franklin Roosevelt Jr: I can't believe that man won a primary against Reagan and John

Tip O'Neill: He's useful, I'll give him that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1