The Political Lounge

AMPU: The Big Red Button (1960 Playtest)

Cal

Hubert approaches Tip O'Neill while the campaign bus heads east, everyone else on the bus is asleep however Hubert can't sleep. Normally he can sleep anytime, anywhere. Rumor is that he can sleep standing up. However now he can't sleep, something about victory is so foreign to him that for the first time in his life, he can't fall asleep.

Hubert: So that was quite the win last night, I bet you guys didn't think I had that in me?

Tip: Hubert, your own Mom didn't believe you had that in you.

Hubert: So, maybe I can win the whole thing. Maybe I can get to the White House?

Tip: Hubert,  the only way you’re ever getting into the White House is if you get a tour arranged through your Senator.

Hubert: I am a Senator.

Tip:  Well there you go, be happy about that. You’re not going to beat Reagan and JFK.

Hubert: But I just won Wisconsin plus the unions, they just love me.

Tip: No.

Hubert: So the rumor’s true, my run is just a front for you to become

Tip interrupts:  Don’t finish that sentence. Just go to bed Hubert.

Hubert is befuddled. Is his faction using him? Why won’t they support him? Either way, he knows not to challenge Tip so he sulk as he quietly walks back to his seat

• Haha 3

@MrPotatoTed Thanks for the offer, it's a generous one. However, you know what I want. The first person to offer me a clear path to getting what I want gets our endorsement. To give me what I want you'll need to get a third faction in on the deal. Don't forget, my faction includes the Governor of the great state of Ohio with it's 75 delegates. 

43 minutes ago, pman said:

@MrPotatoTed Thanks for the offer, it's a generous one. However, you know what I want. The first person to offer me a clear path to getting what I want gets our endorsement. To give me what I want you'll need to get a third faction in on the deal. Don't forget, my faction includes the Governor of the great state of Ohio with it's 75 delegates. 

I actually don’t know what you want.  Ha. My apologies if I missed it.  Feel free to private message me.

11 hours ago, Cal said:

In the scandal phase, it is discovered that John Bricker siphoned state funds to his own personal bank account while Governor of Ohio. He gains Controversial, and a -2 in primaries for the next phase.

Debate winner Estes Kefauver is accused of sexual misconduct. While the allegations would be proven to be baseless, he gets a -1 in the next primary group, cancelling out his momentum from the debate win.

It's interesting, because Kefauver was actually a womanizer, IRL.

The man stands in the hallway once again, talking with someone else 'You mean to tell me, that the reports I got were wrong? Hoover won NH, and Humphrey was in second and Reagan in third?'
Random crew member: 'Yeah and Gus hall was not that important in the grand scheme of things.'
'Fair but we are supposed to be reliable for the American people, so we can't afford to make this kind of mistake again.'

Same as before he walks in and sits down. The cameraman counts down as he reads the script.
'Good evening America, It's your favorite news man, Matthew Holder to tell you the latest news today. But before we start,' He had a pained-look on his face 'We have to issue some corrections to our last primary news report a few weeks ago. First thing first, Herbert hoover, 31st president of the united states of america and the man who caused the great depression. Won the NH primary for the republican party. I know it's surprising that he is even running in the first place. And the second thing is that Hubert Humphrey came in second and Ronald Reagan came in third. Gus hall was not important in this primary but he is still running for some reason. Now on with the latest news with the primaries.'

His pained smile turns into an actual smile 'The current front-runners for the democratic and republican are the following, Charles Percy and Ronald Reagan. Percy became the Front-runner via the frankly insane amount of delegates that the RNC had given Illinois, and Reagan also via Illinois albeit with a much smaller delegate count than Charles Percy. Perhaps they remembered that he was born there, or maybe they found the young, charismatic actor more appealing than the other presidential candidates. We will likely find out which one it was in the coming weeks.'

'Now, I cannot predict the future as my record on the 1958 mid-terms shows. HOWEVER, I will make one last prediction, Ronald Reagan will likely keep his front-runner status, same with Percy, however after the next group of primaries, they likely will lose it. And that is all for the primary news. Next up is John Bricker's press conference live from Ohio.'

It's going to be a long year? No, it's going to be the longest year he has ever lived through, granted that is not saying much since he is 20 years old, but he still knew this year was going to be long, and painful. But he wonders if they still have any of that lead-based paint left at the store.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A man from Colorado said:

hmmmm, if Macarthur/Dewey ticket becomes a thing, I should write an attack ad about the War-hawk/loser ticket. But to be fair to both sides, I will also write an attack ad about the democratic candidates as well.

One ticket would be positively ancient and the other ticket would still be in kindergarden 😛

• Haha 1

Inside the Hubert campaign bus, the candidate wakes up from a 18 hour nap:

Hubert: Where's all the oil refineries? 

RFK: There are no oil refineries here.

Hubert: Why not?

RFK: Because we're not in New Jersey

Hubert: Where are we then?

Tip O'Neill: Don't tell him a damn thing!

Hubert: I am right here Mr. O'Neill

Tip O'Neill: Just look at the ocean and go back to sleep

Hubert falls back to sleep.

He feel asleep and New Jersey. He woke up who knows where. The guy driving the bus seems to know though. 

15 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

Percy will focus on NJ and give a major speech about why Princeton should have been the national capital!

The speech has no effect, but the campaign rally backfires. -1 in NJ. 

11 hours ago, Willthescout7 said:

MacArthur's Primary actions:

1. I will promise the position of VP to Thomas Dewey @Lars

2. I will make a major policy speech

I will be doing a campaign focus on a state, I just need to decide which one in the morning. I should be asleep right now ha

The policy speech is a raging success! +2 due to Orator in all Group 3 primaries.

The rally failed. 

6 hours ago, Mark_W said:

Kefauver focuses on New Jersey and gives a Policy Speech

No effect from either.

8 hours ago, bradleyg223 said:

Ronald Reagan focuses his campaign on New Jersey

The rally is a success! +1 to Reagan in New Jersey.

3 hours ago, bradleyg223 said:

Reagan declares "A Time For Choosing", and gives a major speech

Even more success for Reagan! A solid +2 in all Group 3 primaries due to having Orator. 

59 minutes ago, pman said:

Alright @Cal for the sake of moving this thing along, if you're ready to do the next primaries, I'll stay in as no deal has been reached. I'll focus on New Jersey

No effect.

1 hour ago, pman said:

Alright @Cal for the sake of moving this thing along, if you're ready to do the next primaries, I'll stay in as no deal has been reached. I'll focus on New Jersey

The rally backfires. -1 to HHH in NJ.