The Political Lounge

AMPU: The Big Red Button (1960 Playtest)

Cal

I feel like it needs to be said, Hubert wasn't an idiot. He actually seems like a lovely man in an era of jerks. I am obviously just trying to have fun with him. The thought of him on a stage next to Reagan and JFK is just too much. lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pman said:

I feel like it needs to be said, Hubert wasn't an idiot. He actually seems like a lovely man in an era of jerks. I am obviously just trying to have fun with him. The thought of him on a stage next to Reagan and JFK is just too much. lol.

I don't think of him like as an idiot in your bus posts. More like a sad aloner being used by other people for their own gain, maybe I am thinking too much into it however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A man from Colorado said:

I don't think of him like as an idiot in your bus posts. More like a sad aloner being used by other people for their own gain, maybe I am thinking too much into it however.

haha, that's exactly how I see him. He's somehow being propped up by a faction of people who clearly have their sights set on another prize and he finds himself against two of the greatest politicians of the 20th Century. He's doing his best. Plus, campaigns are fun, especially if you like eating. 

2 minutes ago, pman said:

haha, that's exactly how I see him. He's somehow being propped up by a faction of people who clearly have their sights set on another prize and he finds himself against two of the greatest politicians of the 20th Century. He's doing his best. Plus, campaigns are fun, especially if you like eating. 

I'd post a picture of a candidate failing to eat food at a photo op but it happens so often I don't know who to choose.

• Haha 1

Herbert Hoover, the establishment's only shot to keep the nomination in their pockets, is shocked at how much trust and support he has been able to garner. With first place in New Hampshire and second in New Jersey, Hoover has certainly come a long way from his loss to FDR.

Herbert, at 86 years young, will move on to Pennsylvania, one of the only states to have supported him in 1932. Also, he can't miss out on grabbing a maple glazed éclair while in PA.

179508385_Hoovereating.jpg.56a79a8b47e7829f82b384681ed60106.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

Herbert Hoover, the establishment's only shot to keep the nomination in their pockets, is shocked at how much trust and support he has been able to garner. With first place in New Hampshire and second in New Jersey, Hoover has certainly come a long way from his loss to FDR.

Herbert, at 86 years young, will move on to Pennsylvania, one of the only states to have supported him in 1932. Also, he can't miss out on grabbing a maple glazed éclair while in PA.

179508385_Hoovereating.jpg.56a79a8b47e7829f82b384681ed60106.jpg

Mom, Hoover's copying me! -Percy, 1960

On 4/25/2022 at 6:16 AM, Mark_W said:

Estes Kefauver backs out and endorses JFK, Gus Hall will persevere for the time being.

Imagine Gus Hall winning the Democratic Party nomination. The Republican Party should just nominate Joseph McCarthy to make things even more chaotic.

Edited by Timur
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I'd post a picture of a candidate failing to eat food at a photo op but it happens so often I don't know who to choose.

Ed Milliband

• Based 1

Ronald Reagan's Speech at Dayton's Finer Diner

May 1st, 1960

I often tell Nancy that America is like a cheesed-burger. You have the liberals, the top bun. You have the conservatives, the bottom bun. And of course you have the moderates, the patty.

But we all know the cheese is the most important part.
The cheese is what binds us together.
It is what makes America, America.
The cheese is liberty, justice, and freedom.

I promise you, I will make this cheeseburger, the best damn cheeseburger you've ever tasted.

Thank you.
God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.

The speech was followed by nervous and scattered applause by the various attendees

Primary Group 3: Republican Primary

Former President Truman watches his television, angrily waving his arms in disbelief. General MacArthur had done it again.

In New Jersey, General MacArthur walks away the victor with a minuscule lead over former President Herbert Hoover, who has mounted a most unusual challenge almost three decades after the end of his disastrous presidency. 

However, In Massachusetts, the impossible was happened -- General MacArthur completely swept the competition. No one was even close, and despite the states liberal leaning he walked away with a convincing popular mandate heading into the next round of primaries. 

General MacArthur won the most delegates in Primary Phase 3, so he gets +1 in the next primary group and RW Populist enthusiasm moves +1 towards the Red Team. He is now the Republican frontrunner for the presidential nomination. 

For losing as the frontrunner, Businessman Charles Percy gets -1 in Primary Group 4, and Liberal Enthusiasm moves +1 towards the Democratic Party. 

Primary Group 3: Democratic Primary

In New Jersey, Ronald Reagan won the state and its delegates with a healthy lead. His "Cheeseburger" speech is credited with his success in the pharmaceutical friendly state, showing that perhaps there is a reason why the state is so heavily medicated. (insanity).

In Massachusetts, Senator Kennedy takes an expected win, winning well over 50% of the vote despite an incredibly talented group of primary contenders. 

Ronald Reagan and Senator Kennedy tied for having won the most delegates in Primary Phase 3, so Conservative enthusiasm and Moderate Enthusiasm moves +1 towards the Blue Team. Ronald Reagan remains the Democratic frontrunner for the presidential nomination. Reagan and JFK both get +1 in Primary Group 4.

I'll get to actions later and phase 4. Thanks for the patience! 

Action to all players for presidential campaign actions. @MrPotatoTed @Vols21 @pman @OrangeP47 @Lars @bradleyg223 @Ich_bin_Tyler @Mark_W @ShortKing @Willthescout7

• Like 3