The Political Lounge

AMPU: The Big Red Button (1960 Playtest)

Cal

Just now, 0ccultist said:

"The faction leader must have an Ideology"

"an" in our view means any of the ideologies present in the faction.

As far I can tell, the other playtests have treated it as the dominant ideology. I'm not saying you're wrong, but getting clarification for the author's intent on the rules. As we've seen, what the rules say and what is intended aren't always the same😀

Looks like the question is whether a faction leader must have the personal ideology that matches their faction’s dominant ideology?

If that’s the question, you’re actually looking at it backwards.

The faction leader’s personal ideology must match “one” of their faction’s ideology cards (if the faction has more than one).

And then that ideology BECOMES the faction’s dominant ideology.

• Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Looks like the question is whether a faction leader must have the personal ideology that matches their faction’s dominant ideology?

If that’s the question, you’re actually looking at it backwards.

The faction leader’s personal ideology must match “one” of their faction’s ideology cards (if the faction has more than one).

And then that ideology BECOMES the faction’s dominant ideology.

Sounds good.

What was the rationale behind that being the case and not mandating that it comes from the dominant ideology? That makes more sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

What was the rationale behind that being the case and not mandating that it comes from the dominant ideology? That makes more sense to me.

in my view it doesn't make good game fun. Because just based on who politicians are there will be more liberals, moderates, and conservatives. So even if you want to RP as an extremist faction you would be strong armed into having a non extremist leader.

Hopefully that makes sense!

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

Sounds good.

The whole concept of a "dominant ideology" was just a reflection of which of the faction's ideologies matches the faction leader's personal ideology.  So we never considered the reverse...it was just "We should have a name for this."  "How about 'dominant ideology?"  Haha.

I assume you're using dominant ideology to mean the ideology most of the faction's politicians have.  That's a reasonable use of the term, and I could see the argument you're making.  It just wasn't an argument we considered at the time.

• Based 1

I can see this way being ok because otherwise The Hangul of Populists would never have a real chance to rise to power (but history has given us Andy Jackson, Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump who might be considered populist)

my question is since it is not restricted to just the main ideology of a faction, does this cause a change for Tip O’Neill since the faction has others who actually had Leadership (Tip didn’t before he was named leader).    I’m at a meeting and can’t access the sheets to verify so please check.     

In the computer game an idea could be to for game to present a list of top 3-5 candidates for faction leader and highlight the ones who meet all the qualifications.    Maybe allow extra bonus for using the best qualified but allow a little bit of freedom (since some are locked into only having one allowable which could restrict their growth or chances)

be better than having to play games (like changing an ideology outside the factions) in order to promote someone else.

6 minutes ago, Vols21 said:

my question is since it is not restricted to just the main ideology of a faction, does this cause a change for Tip O’Neill since the faction has others who actually had Leadership (Tip didn’t before he was named leader).    I’m at a meeting and can’t access the sheets to verify so please check.     

So there was another guy (Robert Murphy) who had leadership, but also had obscure. The rules currently state that if no one meets all requirements (having leadership and not having obscure) then both of those requirements can be omitted, making Tip eligible. The funny thing about Brad's is that technically, he shouldn't have even been able to make Helms leader since it appears Harry Byrd has been the only guy to meet all requirements for a while now.

1 minute ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

Harry F Byrd Sr moves traditionalist ideology +2 Dem, and his leadership skill avoid a loss of enthusiasm for Progressives, Liberals, and Moderates.

Never mind Blues are being obstinate @0ccultist @bradleyg223 @ShortKing @pman @Murrman104 nominate party leader