The Political Lounge

"We must hang together, or we will surely hang separately" - A one-player rookie test run of the 1772 Campaign

18 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Really, the number of war deaths should average the number of in-game politicians that died in their respective wars. I think I only have like 2 Rev War deaths maybe. More in Civil War. Basically I’ll need to create politicians who died in wars but never ran for office.  I’m not opposed to doing this. 

Yeah, I'd be all for that honestly.  From Rev War, I know Warren died.  There were others wounded or who came close to being shot (Washington included).  I just sincerely believe this is a very easy way to appeal to a greater audience (war gamers).

Just now, vcczar said:

@matthewyoung123 could you or someone in this playtest give me a rough estimate of the number of military officers that are getting killed per half-term on average in your game. Might also be helpeful for me to know that # for the Civil War too. 

This is the first time I've run a Military phase with the "all hands" rule and we haven't gotten to combat in the Civil War yet.

I think 1 Pol died in all of the Mexican War and none in the war with Spain in the 1840 playtest.

For a half term this seems ok. I'd be interested to see how it unfolds before passing judgement.  By the time we get through an entire war will it seem excessive?  But that is what testing it out is all about. Finding out both the short and longer term impacts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Military Phase 1776-78 continued

The Invasion of Canada

FIRST NAVAL PHASE BATTLE- Battle of Valcour Island

Planning: Sec of War/Defense/Navy (0) [No Sec so take double the highest rate of Senior military official which is 3x2 + Senior Admiral Esek Hopkins (3) = 6 + 3= 9
Admiral:  Admiral Benedict Arnold (3) x 10 = 30
Meters: +5
Military Benchmarks: +10 
Difficulty: Difficult -25 (rolled a 40/100) 
Chance of Success: 29%
Outcome: LOSS! (Rolled an 32, needed at least a 29 on a 100 sided die), a close loss, but still a loss.

No gains or losses for Arnold.  

Would like to add those with Military skill & Naval interest to the database of MilitaryPols and have them roll to see if they are killed/wounded/gain skills or traits.  Almost like have a group of Naval politicians and Land politicians to roll for to determine outcomes.  But I didn't do it for the naval battle here.

Rolled a 33/100 so there will be another battle.

SECOND NAVAL PHASE BATTLE- Battle of Halifax

Planning: Sec of War/Defense/Navy (0) [No Sec so take double the highest rate of Senior military official which is 3x2 + Senior Admiral Esek Hopkins (3) = 6 + 3= 9
Admiral:  Senior Admiral Esek Hopkins (3) x 10 = 30
Meters: +5
Military Benchmarks: +10 +10% for Military Leader (+5.4)= 59.
Difficulty: Difficult -25 (rolled a 27/100, need between 11-20 to make it Moderate and 1-10 for Easy) 59-25= 34%
Chance of Success: 34%
Outcome: LOSS! (Rolled an 38, needed at least a 34 on a 100 sided die), another close loss, but still a loss.

No immediate gains or losses for Hopkins.

Again, there are no direct impacts on politicians for this phase but will try and have the "Naval" part ready for the next time we fight naval battles.

This is the end of the military phase. 

Of the 5 battles fought in this phase, only 1 was a victory.  There were 2 losses on land and 2 at sea.

Therefore:

George Washington loses 1 Military skill point (now at 4), but doesn't lose Admin or gain incompetent. 

Eesk Hopkins loses 1 Admin skill point (now at 1), but doesn't lose military skill or gain incompetent.

8 minutes ago, Vols21 said:

agree there should be a list with the Naval trait so we can see the actions of our brave sailors on the high seas.

once you get that list, you could roll retroactively -- it just took longer to get the after action reports back to the main land.

I believe there are only 12 Pols that are available for this (not including the 3 Admirals).  Looking at it that way, since there are so few pols available, I think that I'll just adopt the "one wounded or killed" policy for the Navy.  With 1 person getting a skill increase and 1 random "military" trait gain.  And I won't do Naval per battle either.  Maybe I'll try that with the other land battles next time too.  Instead of rolling after every battle, I can roll after every "Cycle" for casualties & gains.

• Like 2

Some of these traits are probably a bit unbalanced — for example, Efficient is exceeding rare if not earned in the Admin (or private I think?) Career Track and you can’t earn it at all anymore in the cabinet. Maybe military leader should be reserved for actual generals still imo too because the trait doesn’t mean just general military leadership but it’s a the requirement to be the HIGHEST general in the land. A soldier who does incredibly well should get a +1 Mil bonus or something, but I can’t imagine there’s much that can be done to justify that. That problem would get SO much worse in the modern era. 

• Agree 1

Since you asked, here it is @Cal

“All Hands on Deck” A military modification for AMPU

A new tab is created in the sheets.  Into it, copy all non-office holding and non-career track politicians (pols) except for military career track, that have at least a 1 military skill and are not already Admirals or Generals.  Also, check for age.  No one over Age 60 should be in the MilitaryPols sheet (too old to serve).

Organize/sort them by any trait you wish, name, POL rank, or skill.  Once you do, keep that organization as it will be important later.

Once the battle is generated and the outcome known, roll for casualties, skill increases, and trait gains.

For deaths & wounding-

ROLL A 6-SIDED DIE-

If it’s a difficult battle, a roll of 1 or 2 kills 1 pol; a roll of 3 or 4 kills 2 pols; a roll of 5 or 6 kills 3 pols.  Roll again for wounding with the same above, but just wounded instead of deaths.  With wounding, the pol gains Frail and is removed from all future combat.  They essentially become a wounded veteran.

If it’s an average or moderate battle, a roll of 1 to 2 kills no one; a roll of 3 or 4 kills 1 pol; a roll of 5 or 6 kills 2 pols.  Roll again for wounding with the same above, but just wounded instead of deaths.

If it’s an easy battle, a roll of 1-3 kills no one; a roll of 4-6 4 kills 1 pol.  Roll again for wounding with the same above, but just wounded instead of deaths.

ROLL FOR HOWEVER MANY POLS YOU HAVE IN THE SHEET.  If there are 85 pols, roll and 85 sided dice.  If you roll an 18, a 48, and a 80, then politician 18, 48, and 80 are the casualties.

For skill gains-

ROLL FOR HOWEVER MANY POLS YOU HAVE IN THE SHEET.  If there are 85 pols, roll and 85 sided dice. 

For a difficult battle, roll 3 times (if you land on the same number, roll again).  Pick out the politician with that number in your sheet, however you had it sorted.  Those three pols get the military bonus.

For an average/moderate battle, roll 2 times (so 2 pols).  Same rules as above.

For an east battle, roll once (1 pol). Same rules as above.

For trait gains-

Roll as you do for the skill gains (so 3 pols, 2 pols, or 1 pol).  Instead of adding +1 Mil to the pols you get, you instead add one of 20 traits to them as listed below that could be achieved through military combat.  ROLL A 20 SIDED DIE and pick the number of the one you landed on to assign to that pol.

9 traits are positive, 4 are mostly neutral, 7 are negative.

1. Disharmonious- Why are you always arguing and disagreeing with other officers?

2. Easily Overwhelmed- Reports are coming in too fast and from too many places!

3. Efficient- First I’ll check the ammunition, then the rations, fill out the morning reports, then send out the scouts on the flanks.

4. Iron Fist- Damn it, Lieutenant, I want it done yesterday and I want it done right!  No excuses.

5. Leadership- Captain, take your company around the flank while I lead the men here in the center and lead the charge against the enemy works!

6. Likeable- Double the grog ration for the men and make sure they get enough sleep.

7. Military Leader- First we’ll send out a raiding party, and draw them in.  Then the artillery will open up and pin them down while the 3rd regiment strikes from the vulnerable flank.

8. Propagandist- Show that reporter from the New York Times in, have I got a story for him.

9. Controversial- Well, maybe I didn’t get my leave approved correctly, but I took it anyway.

10. Unlikeable- Lieutenant, you lead too much with your head and not enough with your heart.  You also need to go back to school to learn a compass, the whole platoon got lost with you in charge.

11. Lackey- That 2nd Lieutenant follows the Colonel around like he’s a lost puppy dog.

12. Magician- We were outnumbered 4 to 1, and we still managed to win the battle!  That was some magic you pulled out of your hat!

13. Harmonious- All four commanders agreed on the plan before executing it on the battlefield and the resulting battle was an amazing success.

14. Kingmaker- Placing that young Colonel on the flank has really increased his standing in the Army.  He has such a great ability to find and develop young talent.

15. Delegator- Captain, do that.  Lieutenant, do this.  Major, go there.  Private, come here.

16. Micromanager- Captain, did you do that?  Let me see the form.  Lieutenant, you didn’t do that like I wanted.  Let me see that.  Major, did you get those supplies.  Where are they?  Private…Private?

17. Two Faced- Yes, sir I’ll do that.  (Superior officer walks away and he then looks at his second in command).  We aren’t doing that. 

18. Predictable- We attacked them in the middle four times before, but this time we’ll carry the day!

19. Crisis Manager- Outnumbered, outgunned, out of ammo, low on rations.  But if we leave, the day will be lost.  We have to attack.  Get the men ready.

20. Decisive General (Leader)- We attack the flank and don’t let up until we are rolling up into their rear area and we do it now.

FOR NAVAL BATTLES-

Only non-office holding politicians and military track politicians with NAVAL Interest and that have military skill are eligible.

No matter what the difficulty of the battle is, roll a 6 sided dice.  1-3 no one dies.  4-6 1 pol death.  Same for wounding.

Same as above for +1 Mil skills increase, 0 pol or 1 pol gets it.  Then roll the die based on the number of pols that are eligible (Mil skill + Naval).

Same as above for traits, 0 pol or 1 pol gets it.  Then roll the die based on the number of pols that are eligible (Mil skill + Naval).

Edited by matthewyoung123

12 hours ago, Largo833 said:

For the record, Hopkins will accept the appointment.

OK.  Generals/Admirals are replaced.  Hopkins to France with his 1 Admin (really?) and Adams to Spain.

We will now be moving on to 1778-80 as Retirements aren't done until after Independence is won.

1778-80

Remove flip-flopper-

@Largo833 Samuel Chase, Lewis Morris, Nicolas Cooke, Oliver Ellsworth, Amasa Learned, Theophilus Parsons, and  Abraham Whipple lose flip-flopper.

@10centjimmy Andrew Adams, Arthur Lee, and Charles Wilson Peale lose flip-flopper.

@ebrk85 Carter Braxton loses flip-flopper.

Action to all factions for Politician Relocation & Ideology Shits. @Cal @10centjimmy @Largo833 @ebrk85 @Willthescout7 Please keep in mind the rules about Integrity, faction leader ideology conversion, etc when making your selections.

12 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

1778-80

Remove flip-flopper-

@Largo833 Samuel Chase, Lewis Morris, Nicolas Cooke, Oliver Ellsworth, Amasa Learned, Theophilus Parsons, and  Abraham Whipple lose flip-flopper.

@10centjimmy Andrew Adams, Arthur Lee, and Charles Wilson Peale lose flip-flopper.

@ebrk85 Carter Braxton loses flip-flopper.

Action to all factions for Politician Relocation & Ideology Shits. @Cal @10centjimmy @Largo833 @ebrk85 @Willthescout7 Please keep in mind the rules about Integrity, faction leader ideology conversion, etc when making your selections.

Don’t we need to have gubernatorial elections first?  Also, just checking that there were no gains from the appointments?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Largo833 said:

Don’t we need to have gubernatorial elections first?  Also, just checking that there were no gains from the appointments?

You're right!  I totally missed that in 2.9.5-2.9.8.

Gov elections next it is!!  And no gains from appointments because, technically, we aren't going to do them until the appointments phase in 1778.

Governors races 1778-

CT- Gov Samuel Huntington defeats Thomas Chittenden

DE- Gov Thomas Collins defeats Richard Bassett

GA- Gov John Milton defeats George Mathews

MA- Samuel Adams defeats is defeated by Gov William Cushing

MD- Gov William Smallwood faced no opponent in the General election and retains his seat

NC- Gov Richard Caswell defeats Alexander Martin

NH- Gov John Langdon defeats Josiah Bartlett

NJ- Gov William Livingston faced no opponent in the General election and retains his seat

NY- Gov John Jay defeats Henry Clinton

PA- John Dickinson defeats Gov Thomas Mifflin

RI- Gov William Green Jr defeats Arthur Fenner

SC- Alexander Gillon defeats Gov John Rutledge

VA- Gov Patrick Henry defeats James Wood

BLUE controls 6 states, RED controls 7 states.