The Political Lounge

"We must hang together, or we will surely hang separately" - A one-player rookie test run of the 1772 Campaign

55 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

John Bartram from the LargoLeftWing faction is dead at 88. Cause of death: Dysentery

55 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

John Bartram from the LargoLeftWing has retired. Reason: Personal health

I mean, I guess "personal health" is one way of wording it...

• Haha 2

RANDOM EVENTS- 1776-78

When we brought Timothy Pickering into our fold, we never knew that he had any extra talents. We should make good use of finding a larger role for him in the future to make use of these talents.  Pickering gains +1 Command. @Cal

We're certainly glad Isaac Roosevelt is representing us in committee. He could be posturing for a run for higher office. Maybe we should take advantage of this?  Isaac Roosevelt I gains +1 Leg. @Cal

Did you see how William Paca reacted in our meeting? This is one of several recent incidents like this. He doesn't like to be contradicted at all and Paca can't take even the lightest constructive criticism.  William Paca gains Disharmonious  @10centjimmy

We thought Arthur St. Clair was washed up, but advisors have been reporting that he has rekindled that old fire.   Arthur St. Clair loses Easily Overwhelmed @Cal

SCRIPTED EVENTS- 1776-78

George Mason of Virginia is credited with crafting a Declaration of Right for the people of Virginia. The right to reform or abolish inadequate government is particularly interesting.  George Mason loses obscure. @Willthescout7

An anonymous pamphlet titled Common Sense is advocating American Independence from Great Britain. We know the author to be Thomas Paine, currently of Philadelphia. Within days, the pamphlet has been read in taverns and meeting places throughout the colonies! Thomas Paine gains Celebrity. @10centjimmy

An enthusiastic 19-year-old nobleman by name of Marquis de Lafayette has arrived as a volunteer for our army. I'm not sure what use he'll have for us, but he could inspire French support for our cause.   Senior general George Washington gains +1 mil; Marquis de Lafayette is active to play; Lafayette gains Celebrity. @10centjimmy GM NOTE/QUESTION- Does anyone know if Lafayette shows up in a future draft, or does this event make him appear now in a faction (and if so, which faction?).  Thanks!

Following our Declaration of Independence, delegates were select to draft an Articles of Confederation to secure an organized union of our newly independent states. Congress can request funds from the states; No consecutive reelection for Continental Congress persons; Congress needs 2/3 of the states to pass a bill and unanimous support for amendments.

We now move onto Governor Actions-  @10centjimmy @Willthescout7 @Cal @ebrk85 @Largo833

10 hours ago, matthewyoung123 said:

An enthusiastic 19-year-old nobleman by name of Marquis de Lafayette has arrived as a volunteer for our army. I'm not sure what use he'll have for us, but he could inspire French support for our cause.   Senior general George Washington gains +1 mil; Marquis de Lafayette is active to play; Lafayette gains Celebrity. @10centjimmy GM NOTE/QUESTION- Does anyone know if Lafayette shows up in a future draft, or does this event make him appear now in a faction (and if so, which faction?).  Thanks!

It look like Marquis de Lafayette has a draft year of 1784, so I'd assume he just gets added to the draft for that year.

Governor's Actions-

William Greene Jr (RI)- Encourage settlement on remaining Native American lands.

John Rutledge (SC)- Punish Tories by confiscating properties.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/17/2022 at 12:52 PM, matthewyoung123 said:

Governor Actions

Not seeing the Rev War relevant actions so:

JimmyCon:

CT- Huntington Increase maritime industry

MD- Punish Tories (British loyalists) in the State by confiscating properties

JimmyMod:

DE- Collins Encourage Fight for Liberty

NH- Langdon Punish Tories (British loyalists) in the State by confiscating properties

Nj- Livingston Punish Tories (British loyalists) in the State by confiscating properties

NY- Jay increase finance industry

PA- Increase to 4 year term limits

Edited by 10centjimmy

On 9/17/2022 at 11:06 PM, Largo833 said:

It look like Marquis de Lafayette has a draft year of 1784, so I'd assume he just gets added to the draft for that year.

Governor's Actions-

William Greene Jr (RI)- Encourage settlement on remaining Native American lands. Succeeds. No increase in Domestic Stability. 

John Rutledge (SC)- Punish Tories by confiscating properties. Fails.

See above in BOLD

On 9/18/2022 at 8:04 AM, 10centjimmy said:

Not seeing the Rev War relevant actions so:

JimmyCon:

CT- Huntington Increase maritime industry Fail.

MD- Punish Tories (British loyalists) in the State by confiscating properties Success. Nationalists +100 pts.

JimmyMod:

DE- Collins Encourage Fight for Liberty Fail

NH- Langdon Punish Tories (British loyalists) in the State by confiscating properties Fail

Nj- Livingston Punish Tories (British loyalists) in the State by confiscating properties Success. Nationalists +100 pts.

NY- Jay increase finance industry Fail.

PA- Increase to 4 year term limits Success. PA now has 4 year term limits.

See results above in BOLD

7 hours ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Proposers in 1776-78 are-

Richard Stockton of NJ, Timothy Pickering of MA, John Sevier of NC, Benjamin Huntington of CT, Isaac Roosevelt I of NY, and William Ellery of RI.  Action to @ebrk85 @10centjimmy @Cal @Willthescout7

Huntington proposes Establish Bank of North America as a Temporary Central Bank

Stockton proposes Protect and Encourage the Tobacco Trade Between the States

1 hour ago, matthewyoung123 said:

@CalI don't think we can have a minister to Great Britain while we are at war with them.  Roosevelt will need to select a different piece of legislation to propose.  Thanks!

I apologize, I’ve been struggling to find what’s actually possible lol. Is Treaty of Amity and Commerce w/ Sweden of 1783 possible still?