The Political Lounge

Questions on game

Bushwa777

1 minute ago, dkh64 said:

I think the laws have varied by state on that, I know VP candidates have run for Senate at the same time (LBJ, Bentsen, I think Delaware actually changed the law for Biden in 2008), New Jersey used to allow state officials to hold local office as well...

MY best assumption is that it was for ease and fairness. Not having a faction's strongest candidate running for multiple offices, add some risk in a player putting someone forward. I do, however, think losing a convention before the primary era shouldn't preclude a candidate running for something later but not a big loss if that never changes.

That was debated, but again it came back to ease of use and the core systems. That would be adding complications where they don't need to be. 

I think in reality most people pre-primary going for President at the convention weren't running for anything else at the time. It was kind of Pres or nothing. Having people give up offices to run is more a AMPU universe thing I believe lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Looking for clarification since the rules don't account for this scenario.

A player has a Kingmaker-Protege pairing. They have a master kingmaker in another state and want to know if they can activate them and take on the same protégé to stack bonuses. 

Thoughts? @MrPotatoTed @Ich_bin_Tyler @10centjimmy or anyone that wants to chime in

I asked this a while ago and was told no

4 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

By me? lol

That is my thought on it

I don’t remember haha. But I think it was during the short-lived 2012 playtest. If I remember correctly, I wanted to get DeSantis *three* kingmakers, because I had one in FL and two Master Kingmakers (Ronna Romney and Steve Bannon). The playtest died before it was necessary to have a firm answer, but it was definitely a preliminary no. 

51 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Looking for clarification since the rules don't account for this scenario.

A player has a Kingmaker-Protege pairing. They have a master kingmaker in another state and want to know if they can activate them and take on the same protégé to stack bonuses. 

Thoughts? @MrPotatoTed @Ich_bin_Tyler @10centjimmy or anyone that wants to chime in

Yeah, I think a protege can only have one kingmaker.  But please flag it in the feedback thread so we can eventually specify that in the rules.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Yeah, I think a protege can only have one kingmaker.  But please flag it in the feedback thread so we can eventually specify that in the rules.

Ok next question. Can an active Kingmaker be a protégé to another Kingmaker? And conversely if someone is a protégé and they picked up Kingmaker can they be activated while still a protege?

5 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Ok next question. Can an active Kingmaker be a protégé to another Kingmaker? And conversely if someone is a protégé and they picked up Kingmaker can they be activated while still a protege?

I don't think there can be chains. Someone with the kingmaker trait can be a protégé, BUT they will not be able to take on a protégé of their own while the pairing is active. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

We actually did have chains at one point in the game, which gave specific bonuses of their own.  

That was removed at some point in development, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say you can be both a kingmaker and a protege.  I mentor some lower ranking employees at work, and I also have a higher ranking mentor of my own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1840 had this happen. Technically chains are possible…BUT one of them has to have master kingmaker. Since you can only activate one kingmaker per state, not having master kingmaker blocks you from forming it. So James K Polk had kingmaker, and his kingmaker was located in a different state with master kingmaker. This allowed Matt to activate Polk as one of his 5 and only active kingmaker from TN and take on a protege. 

• Like 1

Another question to make sure I am doing this right, and if wrong will do it right from now on and ignore what I did wrong. 

When I am removing people of military career track it notes that I give military or naval experience.  Well most of them already have military so I have been giving naval instead or vice versa.  Is this right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Another question to make sure I am doing this right, and if wrong will do it right from now on and ignore what I did wrong. 

When I am removing people of military career track it notes that I give military or naval experience.  Well most of them already have military so I have been giving naval instead or vice versa.  Is this right?

No. If they already have army or naval they do not receive the other expertise. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bushwa777 said:

The US has at times been made up of territories that became states and had territorial governors appointed by the war department.  Why does the game not do this?

We have territories.  We don't necessarily appoint governors of them because there's nothing for territory governors to do in the game.  

If you'd like, you can imagine it as one of the potential things someone on the governor career track is doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here is a question. In 1868 we are still under Reconstruction and will be until 1884 or 2 1/2 more turns.  However in front of Congress currently there is a law Restrict the Federal Government's Use of Federal Troops to Enforce Domestic Policy.  If this passes, does that automatically end Reconstruction?  

@Ich_bin_Tyler @ebrk85 @MrPotatoTed

Edited by Bushwa777

It does not end Reconstruction unless it explicitly mentions it. The only way for it to end is it expires after 20 years or you pass either Establish Strict Majority Loyalty w. Iron Clad Oath Reconstruction State Readmission Plan or Establish Lenient 10% Loyalty Reconstruction State Readmission Plan.

Edited by Ich_bin_Tyler

2 hours ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

It does not end Reconstruction unless it explicitly mentions it. The only way for it to end is it expires after 20 years or you pass either Establish Strict Majority Loyalty w. Iron Clad Oath Reconstruction State Readmission Plan or Establish Lenient 10% Loyalty Reconstruction State Readmission Plan.

There's an EO too I believe.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I pre-ordered this game when it was first announced, and have been keeping up with it's progress over the course of the past couple months. I am curious as to the extent that "your America" can effect the world outside the nation, and if so, how deeply this reflected in game. For example, say your actions in the early 20th century somehow prevent World War I. Would this be reflected in diplomacy with states that would cease to exist through various peace treaties, such as Austria-Hungary or the Ottoman Empire, or is foreign policy conducted with countries in their generalized name? For example, Spain is always called Spain, France is always France, etc.

I hope my question isn't too broad, or has been asked before. Thank you!

22 minutes ago, Pius XIII said:

Hey all,

I pre-ordered this game when it was first announced, and have been keeping up with it's progress over the course of the past couple months. I am curious as to the extent that "your America" can effect the world outside the nation, and if so, how deeply this reflected in game. For example, say your actions in the early 20th century somehow prevent World War I. Would this be reflected in diplomacy with states that would cease to exist through various peace treaties, such as Austria-Hungary or the Ottoman Empire, or is foreign policy conducted with countries in their generalized name? For example, Spain is always called Spain, France is always France, etc.

I hope my question isn't too broad, or has been asked before. Thank you!

Foreign policy wise things will remain pretty generalized.  Spain will always be Spain, France is France, etc. If you do something big it will be reflected, but more in a general way since the focus of the game is internal politics and domestic stuff. 

the big thing is if you lose a war you’re in trouble 

Just now, Willthescout7 said:

Foreign policy wise things will remain pretty generalized.  Spain will always be Spain, France is France, etc. If you do something big it will be reflected, but more in a general way since the focus of the game is internal politics and domestic stuff. 

the big thing is if you lose a war you’re in trouble 

Well, while technically true, there are some alt-hists for other nations, but it's by an large outside your control.  Remember the original playtest no Napoleon?

27 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Well, while technically true, there are some alt-hists for other nations, but it's by a large outside your control.  Remember the original playtest no Napoleon?

I hope to add more alt histories as a DLC at some point. 

• Like 1