The Political Lounge

AMPU Updates

Update: As the game is going to require at least a first and last name, I think I've figured out how to work with Native American chiefs that can be what-if politicians. I'll use their native name for their first name and their anglicized version of that name as their last name. As such, Chief Little Turtle is:

Mihsihkinaahkwa Little Turtle

Alternatively they can all share the "first name" Chief. 

Update: Finished the letter S in creating dynasties. I probably have only about 1,000 to 1,500 more politicians left. I may finish them today, which means I can use tomorrow to tag all the Southern Unionists that were around during the Civil War. I'll start working on the rules on Wednesday, most likely. 

The Taft dynasty doesn't quite run from 1788-present, but it gets close. Peter Rawlson Taft is born in the 1780s and William Howard Taft V is born in the late 1970s. 

A distant Taft relative, Lydia Taft, has been added to the game. She's the first known woman to have voted in the Americas. She was born in 1712, so she won't be in the game unless players turn on women's suffrage at the beginning. 

There's also two unattached Tafts from OH to help confuse things. They're distantly-related to the Tafts as well, but they do not come from Peter Rawlson Taft or his immediate ancestors. 

Robert G. Ingersoll might be one of the most foreshadowing politicians in AMPU, despite being obscure. 

He enters the game in 1860. He's probably the only person that is 1) an abolitionist and civil rights activist, 2) male woman's rights activist, 3) openly agnostic. He's more 21st century than many people living today. Naturally, for his agnostic views, I have to give him "controversial" because he would be viewed as such during his time. 

Historically, he was a famous "free thinker" of the time. Politically, he never was more than IL's attorney general. He gave the nominating speech for James G Blaine, which famously gave Blaine the nickname "The Plumed Knight" at the 1876 Republican Convention, but Hayes won the nomination as a compromise pick. 

• Like 1

Update: About 55 new dynasty politicians left. I'm going to try and get these done today, but I'll probably not finish them until tomorrow. That will give me a whole day to identify the Southern Unionists. Still on pace to work on Rules on Monday

• Like 1

Update: I plowed through the final 36 politicians! All new dynasty politicians finished! 

Tomorrow and the next day I'll be doing finishing touches on the politician spreadsheet with a focus on Southern Unionists and such so the CPU knows which politicians will seceded and not secede during the Civil War, should it overlap with the historical timeline somewhat. 

• Like 1

Update: 

• Gave 1 Command to GOPers that are in the Primary Polls for 2024, such as Gaetz, Pompeo, R Scott, T Scott, Noem, and one or two others. They hadn't had command previously. This allows them to run for president. 
  • Will start on the rules tomorrow. Sent the rules to add to both of your emails @MrPotatoTed . Just put the info in the approx location in the rules file. That will save me a ton of time as you're probably got a better grasp on the organization of the rules than I do at this point. 
  • Like 1

Update: I'm now working on the rules. This will probably take a week for me to do as I have other work to do as well. 

@MrPotatoTed I'm creating a new rules document and copy+pasting what you have on it. For whatever reason, the formatting is doing weird things when I'm trying to create the table of contents on the left. I'll link you to that document when I finish with it. Thanks for all your work. This saves me a lot of time and was helpful. 

• Like 1

So excited!  I'm hoping to run another AMPU forum game after the current Founding Fathers game ends...whether it's a 1788, a pre-1788, a 2020, or whatever era is most helpful for you.  In the meantime, happy to go back to rewriting any sections of the rules if desired.  Now that they're all on a single document again, it makes hopping in to clean up individual sections a little easier rather than rewriting from scratch like I was for the first few phases.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

So excited!  I'm hoping to run another AMPU forum game after the current Founding Fathers game ends...whether it's a 1788, a pre-1788, a 2020, or whatever era is most helpful for you.  In the meantime, happy to go back to rewriting any sections of the rules if desired.  Now that they're all on a single document again, it makes hopping in to clean up individual sections a little easier rather than rewriting from scratch like I was for the first few phases.

I can't wait for a new playthrough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

How many players will that involve? What kind of rules will there be?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Timur said:

How many players will that involve? What kind of rules will there be?

Not sure yet.  I think the game is more fun with more players -- but the challenge is finding enough committed players.  I'd rather have two committed players than 20 players who I have to chase down, even though the game would be more fun with 20.  

Only real requirement numbers-wise is that it be an even number of players.  

As for rules, it's not an easy game -- the rules document is more than 80 pages right now, and could grow beyond that.  But you don't have to memorize the entire document -- I haven't memorized it, and I wrote part of it. ;c)  You just go section by section -- if we're currently in the legislative phase, read that and maybe the next phase or two so you can strategize ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Not sure yet.  I think the game is more fun with more players -- but the challenge is finding enough committed players.  I'd rather have two committed players than 20 players who I have to chase down, even though the game would be more fun with 20.  

Only real requirement numbers-wise is that it be an even number of players.  

As for rules, it's not an easy game -- the rules document is more than 80 pages right now, and could grow beyond that.  But you don't have to memorize the entire document -- I haven't memorized it, and I wrote part of it. ;c)  You just go section by section -- if we're currently in the legislative phase, read that and maybe the next phase or two so you can strategize ahead.

Yeah, I'm thinking we make it as large as we can have committed players, all of who will have to sign an agreement in their own blood to be committed.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, I'm thinking we make it as large as we can have committed players, all of who will have to sign an agreement in their own blood to be committed.

I would like to see the rulebook sometime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timur said:

We're currently rewriting it to make it a little easier for a new person to read, and also to blend together exciting new concepts for the game.  After that, it's up to @vcczar who he's comfortable sharing it with.  It's his baby, I'm just the nanny.  ;c)

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Will they have to go through a Masonic initation ceremony?

19 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

We're currently rewriting it to make it a little easier for a new person to read, and also to blend together exciting new concepts for the game.  After that, it's up to @vcczar who he's comfortable sharing it with.  It's his baby, I'm just the nanny.  ;c)

22 minutes ago, Timur said:

I'll happily share it once it is "done"

• Like 1