The Political Lounge

Canadian Election

Timur

Canadian Election  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you support?

• Justin Trudeau (Liberal)
    • Erin O'Toole (Conservative)
    • Yves-François Blanchet (Bloc Quebecois)
    • Jagmeet Singh (New Democratic Party)
    • Annamie Paul (Green)
    • Maxime Bernier (People's)

1 minute ago, Patine said:

The Liberal Party of Canada is NOT quite the same as the Democratic Party of the United States. There are SOME notable similarities, but some very sharp differences as well. The New Democratic Party has held a much more consistent platform, policies, and viewpoints since evolving from the former CCF in 1962 than Labour in the UK, and they haven't really been subject to radical changes in platform and presentation when leadership changes that UK Labour has infamously undergone.

Did you see this question, @vcczar?

Yeah. I’m just not knowledgeable enough about the party strengths to know if any party outside Trudeau’s party and the Conservative party have any shot at winning the PM spot. I also don’t live in any part of Canada so I can’t consider who has a shot to win in my district. 

28 minutes ago, Patine said:

I notice, @vcczar, you didn't seem to read or respond right away. Is this better?

Although the NDP has not held Government Federally (though having successfully done so in most Provincial-level Governments), they've often held a, "kingmaker," role to Liberal Minority Governments, and actually gotten concessions to keep them up.

I believe I had told you on Steam a while ago the first Federal NDP leader, Tommy Douglas, got National Healthcare and other social programs, and kept Canadian troops out of Vietnam, and some other concession from Liberal PM Lester B. Pearson's two minority Governments in the mid-60's, that Pearson almost certainly wouldn't have been inclined toward if he had had majorities.

They seem like a good party. I just have a hard time understanding what is possible/doable in the Canadian system as it is very different from hours. I don't think one can accurately gauge pro-active voting unless on lives in the country that has the elections. That's why sometimes I get bothered by what you say about US elections, as it comes out as quasi-ignorance from an American viewpoint. I would say that likewise anything I'd say about Canadian politics or voting would seem equally (if not more) baffling or quasi-ignorant. I'd say you have a better understand of American politics and election than I do about the Canadian system. Aside from US elections, I can only discuss basic-level UK elections. I'm fairly ignorant outside of US and UK elections. I probably know more about German, French, and Mexican elections than Canadian elections.

Political conviction and principal SEEMS a bit alien to you once the ballot box looms.

This is the flaw. I see no principal and no integrity in a socially progressive person voting for Green or 3rd party if there is a probable threat of the more social conservative major party winning that voter's state and possibly the election in total. That's not principal that's ideological greed. It's fucking over the country over puritanical beliefs. "Better to risk ruining people's lives more with the worst of all possible evils candidate than to compromise" sort of thinking. To me that's a form of electoral terrorism. The voting version of car bombing the country. I happily support 3rd party voting if its done in a state in which one major party is certainly going to win or if that 3rd party has a legitimate chance of winning the state.

As I've said many times I'll vote Green if they have a shot at 270 EVs. Until that's possible, voting Green in a battleground state "out of principal" by a socially progressive voter is a vote that is totally lacking in integrity and empathy. It's heartless and on par with lack of integrity and empathy of a Trump or Dick Cheney.

5 hours ago, Pringles said:

Abe is my man. 😎

Disagree, but agree to disagree.

• Like 2

Just now, Patine said:

Is it, at all, in any part, his determined refusal to recognize or acknowledge abuses and atrocities done in Korea during the Japanese occupation of 1910-1945, perchance?

Yes. He may have done some good things for his country, but he is abhorred by many Koreans.

• Like 1

Is it, at all, in any part, his determined refusal to recognize or acknowledge abuses and atrocities done in Korea during the Japanese occupation of 1910-1945, perchance?

This is why I dislike him as well.

Just now, Patine said:

And Hungary since 2006. And Singapore since independence.

And all three governments have been accused of tyranny (I think, rightly so, though each country has her circumstances, etc.).

13 minutes ago, Timur said:

Disagree, but agree to disagree.

Fair enough friend. Even though I like Mr. Abe as a leader I sympathize with you and countless other Koreans. Much respect to your people.

• Thanks 2