The Political Lounge

What are your thoughts on the new COVID variant?

carbonmonoxide321

Omicron, dubbed a "variant of concern" last week by the WHO that is potentially more contagious than previous events, has now been detected in Australia, Belgium, Botswana, Britain, Denmark, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, France, Canada, and South Africa, Do you think there could be another lockdown?

It's not ending anytime soon... and as for lockdowns I think itll be more limited and not as widespread as 2020. But depending on the area there will be. 

Best we can hope for now is new data on the variant and modify the vaccinations accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with Pringles above. We may see more of the large venues not hosting as many people at occupancy, or more return to online schooling (particularly those in universities and colleges). There won't be anything like 2020, though. It'll be more individual businesses, colleges, and companies making the decisions.

• Based 1

25 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I just want to get my booster shot (and flu shot). It's impossible to get an appointment in Philadelphia anytime soon.

Interesting. Do you have vaccine shortages there or just hospitals/doctor's offices being not able to handle the large amount of people wanting to get these vaccinations? 

We struggled here a very long time with vaccine shortages too but these problems have been overcome. The appointments are still somewhat chaotic, but it's mostly OK. Since the summer the capacities are at least there to get anyone a quick appointment.

Flu shots here can be done individual with your doctor. The vaccination can be bought in a pharmacy, so you don't need a venue here to get a flu shot.

Edited by ConservativeElector2

9 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Interesting. Do you have vaccine shortages there or just hospitals/doctor's offices being not able to handle the large amount of people wanting to get these vaccinations? 

We struggled here a very long time with vaccine shortages too but these problems have been overcome. The appointments are still somewhat chaotic, but it's mostly OK. Since the summer the capacities are at least there to get anyone a quick appointment.

Flu shots here can be done individual with your doctor. The vaccination can be bought in a pharmacy, so you don't need a venue here to get a flu shot.

As far I know, you have to have a vaccine administered by a doctor or pharmacy worker in the US. There isn't a shortage here, there's just enough to fill the scheduled appointments, and there's a lot of appointments. I've been trying to walk in to places that claim to have "walk in" vaccinations. They never do. They say they have a set amount for each appointment and no extra vaccines. 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

As far I know, you have to have a vaccine administered by a doctor or pharmacy worker in the US.

I can attest to this. My work place has a pharmacy and that's where I got mine. Easiest place to get it. You go in, fill paperwork, schedule an appointment and they get you in a week or two. 

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I've been trying to walk in to places that claim to have "walk in" vaccinations. They never do. 

Oh yeah here are also venues to get a COVID vaccine without an appointment. Unlike to your problem I guess they actually do in most cases what they promise to do. I got my first one back in July without an appointment, because it was still hard to get one at that time. I booked a time slot for my booster (and flu) shot tho. I don't know if flu shots could even be done without an appointment.

12 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I can attest to this. My work place has a pharmacy and that's where I got mine. Easiest place to get it. You go in, fill paperwork, schedule an appointment and they get you in a week or two. 

All kind of vaccines have to be done by a doctor in Austria. That's a reason why pharmacies are forbidden to give you one. They usually don't have a doctor working there.

There are several lawmakers who have called for allowing pharmacies to vaccinate people. I had approved of this because the paper work was awful, and I simply wanted to go there. But since it got a bit easier, I don't really care anymore where to go.

18 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

All kind of vaccines have to be done by a doctor in Austria. That's a reason why pharmacies are forbidden to give you one. They usually don't have a doctor working there.

There are several lawmakers who have called for allowing pharmacies to vaccinate people. I had approved of this because the paper work was awful, and I simply wanted to go there. But since it got a bit easier, I don't really care anymore where to go.

Pharmacists are doctors, at least here in the US.  They are permitted to give vaccine shots.

8 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Pharmacists are doctors, at least here in the US.  They are permitted to give vaccine shots.

Interesting. Here they are studying pharmacy at college, for which they might ''only'' get a MA/Msc-like degree if a doctor's degree is not pursued. I also think a doctor in pharmacy would not be considered equivalent to a degree in medicine here.  

Edited by ConservativeElector2

1 minute ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Interesting. Here they are studying pharmacy at college, for which they might ''only'' get a MA-like degree if a doctor's degree is not pursued. I also think a doctor in pharmacy would not be considered equivalent to a degree in medicine here.  

Interesting!  My wife is a nurse, so I’m aware that nurses and even nursing students have been authorized to give covid vaccine to patients (with proper training, of course).  Not sure if they can do other vaccines or not.

56 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Interesting!  My wife is a nurse, so I’m aware that nurses and even nursing students have been authorized to give covid vaccine to patients (with proper training, of course).  Not sure if they can do other vaccines or not.

My friend's mom is a nurse in the ER, I know she is authorized to give flu shots at least. Though not sure how different that is from a floor nurse. My mom I think can give vaccines if she's told to (she works in Case Management as an RN - as well as a weird blend of public health and something else, rural hospital things 😛 ) but it isn't a part of her normal job. I know they told her she might have had to earlier this year for flu shots for staff, but it didn't end up happening. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 11:08 AM, ConservativeElector2 said:

Interesting. Here they are studying pharmacy at college, for which they might ''only'' get a MA/Msc-like degree if a doctor's degree is not pursued. I also think a doctor in pharmacy would not be considered equivalent to a degree in medicine here.  

Just to clarify, pharmacists are doctors in that they have a Doctor of Pharmacy, but they are not ~medical~ doctors. The education required is not equivalent to an MD and nobody would call their pharmacist "Dr. Smith".

2 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

veterinarians

How about vaccinating pets? Human aren't the only living thing capable of getting the virus...