The Political Lounge

Post-AMPU Game Ideas

vcczar

Here's the Power Rankings of the next game, based on interest, first choice, simplicity of graphics, ease in gathering information to make it, and whether it can be made quickly: 

• The Long War (6 pts)
    • 2nd Place in Most Interest-tied (2 pts)
    • 1st Place in 1st Choice-tied (3 pts)
    • Does not require graphics better than AMPU +1
  • Shakespeare Game (5 pts)
    • 3rd Place in Most Interest (1 pt)
    • 3rd Place in 1st Choice-tied (1 pt)
    • Can be made quickly +1
    • Info can be spreadsheeted and gathered quickly +1
  • AMPU 2 (5 pts) 
    • 1st Place in Most Interest (3 pts)
    • 2nd Place in 1st Choice (2 pts)
  • War on Terror (4 pts) 
  • Politics of French Rev and Napoleon (4 pts) 
  • Creating the Bible (2 pts)
  • English Language (1 pt)

7 minutes ago, Mark_W said:

And for the sake of throwing out ideas, I would love to see your take on a Weimar Republic political game.

It would rank below my other 25 ideas, although I'm not disinterested.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Any of the six I mentioned, but especially the Shakespeare game, and the History of the English Language Game.

I think the War On Terror, Victorian PM, and politics of the French Revolution interest me the most. (Of course AMPU 2 as well.) I'd probably help on those 4. The rest just aren't my cup of tea or I have a hard time understanding how you could play a game with the concept. But hey, that's just me. 

I'd be most interested in the NFL draft one but I think it should go beyond the NFL Draft itself. There was a game called MLB Front Office(I think it was called that) where you didn't coach or play the games, but you were responsible for building the team. Sending people down or calling people up. Stadium renovations. Free agents and trades. Everything except for what happened on the field. So I think a good game would take from that (MLB Front Office) as well as the old NFL Head Coach games. That way its a more complete game. I think just drafting would get dull after awhile.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I'd be most interested in the NFL draft one but I think it should go beyond the NFL Draft itself. There was a game called MLB Front Office(I think it was called that) where you didn't coach or play the games, but you were responsible for building the team. Sending people down or calling people up. Stadium renovations. Free agents and trades. Everything except for what happened on the field. So I think a good game would take from that (MLB Front Office) as well as the old NFL Head Coach games. That way its a more complete game. I think just drafting would get dull after awhile.

It would include free agency and trades. Basically, anything roster/coaching related. It won't include stadiums. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

Here's the Power Rankings of the next game, based on interest, first choice, simplicity of graphics, ease in gathering information to make it, and whether it can be made quickly: 

• The Long War (6 pts)
  • Shakespeare Game (5 pts)
    • 3rd Place in Most Interest (1 pt)
    • Can be made quickly +1
    • Info can be spreadsheeted and gathered quickly +1
  • AMPU 2 (5 pts) 
    • 1st Place in Most Interest (3 pts)
    • 2nd Place in 1st Choice (2 pts)
  • War on Terror (4 pts) 
  • Politics of French Rev and Napoleon (4 pts) 
  • Creating the Bible (2 pts)
  • English Language (1 pt)

I think  the War on Terror would be my second choice.

Edited by Timur

Although it likely won't be the next game I'm working on, I've already started putting together the Western Philosophy game when taking small breaks from AMPU or my other two jobs. 

Basically, I'm typing out all the philosophers, who they were influenced by, who they influence, their locations, their concepts, and their dates. At some point, I'll weave this into something that can be made into a game. 

The Shakespeare game is really close to playtesting. I mainly just need to find more plays, playwrights, and actors for 1625-1642. 1580-1625 is stocked and ready. I'll probably be able to playtest this game sometime in the Summer. 

I think the other games I could see myself working on soon is the Long War or Golden Age of Hollywood. 

I'll probably just jump around a lot until I gain momentum on one of them. Can't wait to be done with AMPU so I can focus on something else. By nature, I jump around on things and never finish anything, so working on AMPU for 3+ solid years has been against my nature. 

On 5/8/2022 at 12:42 PM, pman said:

I’d buy a tv industry simulator 

On 5/8/2022 at 12:49 PM, OrangeP47 said:

You ever play Empire TV Tycoon?

Funny timing, I just found out last night that Film Studio Tycoon (which is free) just added a TV studio component.  It's the best attempt I've ever seen.

It was just released in the past 48 hours, and it's a single developer (who literally just had a baby) doing it on her own in exchange for no pay -- so it's apparently buggy as hell, but she's quickly responding to each bug report and releasing a bunch of fixes every day.

I'll probably give he a month to iron it out, then I'll download.  Really looking forward to it.

https://filmstudiotycoon.proboards.com/

• Like 1

I had two game ideas myself. Thought I am sharing them here. @vcczar and all the other who are interested.

The first one developed through me enjoying the family tree in Medieval II: Total War. Starting with a fictional English king you could grow your family for generations and while hundreds of peerage titles of England, Scotland, Ireland and (Wales?). One son proves especially loyal to the king? Why not awarding Earl of Oxford to his other five titles? Your younger brother just got a son? Award him a title in Ireland to increase the loyalty of this area to the throne. Maybe that will backfire, who knows? So the main idea is to watch a family tree growing, with awarding peerages which might get extinct or passed on for hundred years. Could be fun and easy, I guess.

The second idea targets papal conclaves. I also enjoyed these elections in Medieval II: Total War. So one would need to find all historical cardinals and try to influence their votes to the best interest of the player. What I always wanted to find out the most is which name will be chosen for the next pope. This could be either automated or be decided by the player to please a faction loyal still to the pope from 20 years ago. This game could be made even easier if the game just creates fictional cardinals from powerful families like Della Rovere, Orsini, Medici etc.. This way the player controlled pope could also decide who to appoint as secretary, cardinal or bishop of various cities to spread Catholicism. Once again I would love to simply watch office holder lists growing for hundreds of years. Maybe one could also release encyclicals to change the course of the Roman Catholic church.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I had two game ideas myself. Thought I am sharing them here. @vcczar and all the other who are interested.

The first one developed through me enjoying the family tree in Medieval II: Total War. Starting with a fictional English king you could grow your family for generations and while hundreds of peerage titles of England, Scotland, Ireland and (Wales?). One son proves especially loyal to the king? Why not awarding Earl of Oxford to his other five titles? Your younger brother just got a son? Award him a title in Ireland to increase the loyalty of this area to the throne. Maybe that will backfire, who knows? So the main idea is to watch a family tree growing, with awarding peerages which might get extinct or passed on for hundred years. Could be fun and easy, I guess.

The second idea targets papal conclaves. I also enjoyed these elections in Medieval II: Total War. So one would need to find all historical cardinals and try to influence their votes to the best interest of the player. What I always wanted to find out the most is which name will be chosen for the next pope. This could be either automated or be decided by the player to please a faction loyal still to the pope from 20 years ago. This game could be made even easier if the game just creates fictional cardinals from powerful families like Della Rovere, Orsini, Medici etc.. This way the player controlled pope could also decide who to appoint as secretary, cardinal or bishop of various cities to spread Catholicism. Once again I would love to simply watch office holder lists growing for hundreds of years. Maybe one could also release encyclicals to change the course of the Roman Catholic church.

Both sound great. I actually created a papal conclave game using note cards once. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Golden Age of Hollywood sounds great.

This game wouldn't take too long to make because I already have a sound model for the game. The system model would be based on the Wrestling Simulator game, which uses Wrestling Promotions, signing wresters (and staff, referees, etc), setting up events, etc. The game provides a good model to follow, although my idea will be more elaborate. 

@ConservativeElector2 You make Medieval II very appealing. I've avoided Total War games because I'm not terribly interested in most war games, mainly because I use a laptop without a mouse, and I favor turn-based war games for that reason, as it's just easier to manage. 

I do allow some exceptions for war games. I like games that focus more on diplomacy and domestics. However, as a student of linear warfare, I do like turned based military games set between 1618-1865. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@ConservativeElector2 You make Medieval II very appealing. I've avoided Total War games because I'm not terribly interested in most war games, mainly because I use a laptop without a mouse, and I favor turn-based war games for that reason, as it's just easier to manage. 

I do allow some exceptions for war games. I like games that focus more on diplomacy and domestics. However, as a student of linear warfare, I do like turned based military games set between 1618-1865. 

Yeah, it is one of my all-time favorite games. There were times I played it for hours after school. I still get nostalgic about it and have it in my steam library.

I love the conclaves and the family tree features. I missed both things in the later Total War games, which were also nice tbh. I also recommend Empire and Napoleon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Yeah, it is one of my all-time favorite games. There were times I played it for hours after school. I still get nostalgic about it and have it in my steam library.

I love the conclaves and the family tree features. I missed both things in the later Total War games, which were also nice tbh. I also recommend Empire and Napoleon. 

So based. As a Total War fanatic I agree that Medieval 2 is the greatest TW game ever made. 

And the mods... 

Third Age Total War is one of the best. Medieval 2 but LOTR.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Dang, now I want AMPU2: A More Perfect Catholic Church (which I guess would actually be AMPCC...)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jnewt said:

Dang, now I want AMPU2: A More Perfect Catholic Church (which I guess would actually be AMPCC...)

Let's go further. AMPC: A More Perfect Church.