The Political Lounge

"We must hang together, or we will surely hang separately" - A one-player rookie test run of the 1772 Campaign

Supreme Court Voting-

Must have 60% support to be confirmed.

For Chief Justice-

Minister John Adams (MA Mod) 53 years old, 2 Judicial, JimmyCon Red- 26-0, confirmed.  Adams gains +1 Judicial. @10centjimmy

For Associate Justice-

H Brockholst Livingston (NY Mod) 31 years old, 2 Judicial (on Judicial career track), EbrkLW Blue- 12-14 fails. @ebrk85

John Blair Jr (VA Cons) 56 years old, 3 Judicial, CalRedRW Red 26-0 confirmed.  @Cal +100 pts to Cal & Jimmy.

James Wilson (DE Mod) 46 years old, 3 Judicial, JimmyCon Red 26-0 confirmed. Wilson gains +1 Judicial. @10centjimmy +100 pts to Jimmy.

George Wythe (VA Lib) 62 years old, 3 Judicial, LargoLW Red 22-4 confirmed. @Largo833 +100 pts to Largo & Jimmy.

Gabriel Duvall (MD Cons) 36 years old, 3 Judicial (on Judicial career track) CalBlueCon Blue 17-9 confirmed. @CalDuvall comes off the 8 year Judicial career track.  Duvall gains +1 Judicial (now has 4).  +100 pts to CalBlue & Jimmy.

Meter movements-

For appointing someone of a rival party, Red party gains +1 Party Preference.  However, Traditionalists move -1 Red for not having a nominee from their ideology.  For nominating Moderates to the court, Moderates move +1 Red.  The LW and RW don't think they are represented well on the court and Party Preference shifts -1 Red.  For blocking a Supreme Court nominee with 2 Judicial skill, Blue party Preference shifts +1.  

Overall-

Party Preference- +1 Blue to 4 (No Preference but trending Blue)

Trads +1 Blue to Leans Blue

Mods +1 Red to Leans Red

Action to President Washington- @10centjimmy If the nominee is blocked, then the president must make a 2nd nomination. The replacement justice must be moderate, an ideology of the other party, or a member of the other party. This justice is automatically confirmed. If a justice of another party is selected, then the incumbent party has a 5-6 die roll chance of +1 party preference, and a 1-2 die roll chance of -1 party faction enthusiasm. If the president is “moderate,” then there is no penalty on faction enthusiasm. 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Action to President Washington- @10centjimmy If the nominee is blocked, then the president must make a 2nd nomination. The replacement justice must be moderate, an ideology of the other party, or a member of the other party. This justice is automatically confirmed. If a justice of another party is selected, then the incumbent party has a 5-6 die roll chance of +1 party preference, and a 1-2 die roll chance of -1 party faction enthusiasm. If the president is “moderate,” then there is no penalty on faction enthusiasm

JimmyMod Henry Marchant

2 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

JimmyMod Henry Marchant

Marchant is confirmed.  No meter changes.  Please make the necessary adjustments to your pols (including any skills gains)

There are no cases this term before the Supreme Court.

We will move onto Congressional business soon.  Thanks all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matthewyoung123 said:

The LW and RW don't think they are represented well on the court and Party Preference shifts -1 Red. 

It says I think this only happens if the LW and RW factions are in the Presidents party, so there shouldn’t be a shift here. I think it would be a hit to enthusiasm for those factions and not party preference. I think this is where you were doing this in the rules: 

If a justice of another party is confirmed, then the incumbent party has a 5-6 die roll chance of +1 party preference, and a 1-2 die roll chance of -1 faction enthusiasm for the president’s faction, and this can be both for the same nominee. If the president is “moderate,” then there is no penalty on faction enthusiasm if an opposition party justice is named, but there is a 1-2 die roll chance -1 faction enthusiasm of any Populist, Progressive, or Traditionalists factions within the president’s party.”

We also need to elect a new Senate Majority Leader I think. “In the event that a House of Congress flips majority party due to deaths/retirements, the majority leaders becomes minority leaders and vice versa. ” of course, because this wasn’t brought up until after a positive party preference roll for the elected position I’m definitely not saying don’t give the +1 from blocking the 2 judicial nominee, but instead saying we still do that but should change the Senate PPT before the Congress in session phase. Of course it does say “switch” and we don’t have the minority offices yet, but it seems clear the intent is that when majority party changes that we flip the top of the chamber accordingly. 

53 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

OK, time for a new election for Senate Pro Tempore (our 3rd this term).

Please nominate your pols for the position.

No nominees from my factions. Also flagging that after this we'll need another minister to Spain since Adams left for the bench

lol the turn that never ends

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cal said:

Fisher Ames for me! I also noticed that I think the PPT can actually sit as a chair in a committee, an important distinction from the SML.

I believe that's is only once the SML exists and the PPT is no longer the leader of the Senate.

• Agree 1

Ames is elected 19-7 as the new Speaker Pro Tempore (our 3rd if you're keeping track).

We'll now move onto Congressional Legislation.

I have to go call trivia this evening (as I do every Tuesday evening).  Does anyone want to run the Congressional proposers and post them?  If not, it'll be tomorrow before I can do it.