AMPU Modern Day Playtest

Rodja

AMPU Modern Day Playtest  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in AMPU Modern

• Yes,and I'd like to playtesy
    • Yes,but I wouldn't like to playtest
    • No
  2. 2. Which start date would you prefer?

• 2000,would be most tedious to make spreadsheet
    • 2024,continue MrPotatoTed playthrough where it stopped with all alternate events
    • I'm not interested
  3. 3. What party would u like ur faction to belong?

4. 4. Would you volunteer to help me with setting up a spreadsheet?

5. 5. Do you fulfill requirements listed below in topic description?

Ahhh well I guess to be expected but we are pretty much across the board in what people want. So no easy decision on a start date and whichever one I pick it will be outside of several people's top 3.

Using a point scale for top pick on down the top 3 choices right now are 1800, 1892 and 1972 with 1800 holding a slight edge. So early, mid, late US history start lol.  I am leaning toward the earlier start date. Just because of less states so easier set-up, in theory quicker to get through each half-term and I have only GM'd 50 state tests so far.  And I do think it would be interesting to see how we could shape early America. Most of the independence tests never made it far enough past independence to really test those eras out.

I think it over tonight and likely make a final decision tomorrow. Any final feedback it still welcome. Thanks!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Ahhh well I guess to be expected but we are pretty much across the board in what people want. So no easy decision on a start date and whichever one I pick it will be outside of several people's top 3.

Using a point scale for top pick on down the top 3 choices right now are 1800, 1892 and 1972 with 1800 holding a slight edge. So early, mid, late US history start lol.  I am leaning toward the earlier start date. Just because of less states so easier set-up, in theory quicker to get through each half-term and I have only GM'd 50 state tests so far.  And I do think it would be interesting to see how we could shape early America. Most of the independence tests never made it far enough past independence to really test those eras out.

I think it over tonight and likely make a final decision tomorrow. Any final feedback it still welcome. Thanks!

I will respect whatever choice is final. However, I personally would really prefer an 1892 start, since 1972 likely would not work for Jnewt or you because of 50 states, etc. 

I just think there are way too many early-early America playtests (tl;dr I'm tired of seeing your usual Alexander Hamilton, George Washington, all of the Founding Fathers, etc. playtests) 

I'll participate in whatever is decided though! 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

I'll participate in whatever is decided but I do think 1800 is such a rich time to start. The nation is expanding. Titans in American history are still there and it is meandering into an era that has been under playtested. Plus it'd be fun to see what Jnewt's Jefferson does.  I don't know what faction Henry Clay would be in but it'd be fun to have him as a faction leader.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, pman said:

I'll participate in whatever is decided but I do think 1800 is such a rich time to start. The nation is expanding. Titans in American history are still there and it is meandering into an era that has been under playtested. Plus it'd be fun to see what Jnewt's Jefferson does.  I don't know what faction Henry Clay would be in but it'd be fun to have him as a faction leader.

I have about two weeks before I'll be offline for roughly two weeks, so if you decide on doing 1800, I'll offer to assist you however I can in setting up the play test (doing elected offices, setting up Congress, cabinet, state Govs, Career Tracks, etc).

7 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Now I'm kind of wanting to do 1800 just to see how alternative of a history we can get...

It would be fun seeing what someone who has an economic background and plays the game left of center (Jnewt) could do with Jefferson in 1800. We might be looking at a very different nation.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Yay....... more early America... Damn it I can't wait until this game is actually released. 😛 

If by early America you mean 18th and 19th Century, sure. But most college courses divide the US survey into Early America (13 Colonies through Civil War) and Modern America (Reconstruction to present). If you take the collegiate definition of Early American history I'd push back and say we've had a relative few amount of playtests in early American history. Plus, I don't think we've had a single one test Jefferson until the Civil War.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer modern American history too but I am interested to see what we can do starting in 1880.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pman said:

If by early America you mean 18th and 19th Century, sure. But most college courses divide the US survey into Early America (13 Colonies through Civil War) and Modern America (Reconstruction to present). If you take the collegiate definition of Early American history I'd push back and say we've had a relative few amount of playtests in early American history. Plus, I don't think we've had a single one test Jefferson until the Civil War.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer modern American history too but I am interested to see what we can do starting in 1880.

Closest was the original test which died at 1804. Just goes to show how long a spreadsheet game takes to run. 

I'd love to see how the Texas Revolution Scripted event goes since we just missed it with the 1840 test, but closest we'd get before the actual game is an 1820 test that really cooks.

Edited by 10centjimmy

4 minutes ago, pman said:

If by early America you mean 18th and 19th Century, sure.

Precisely what I mean. I haven't partaken in many of these playtests. 1 "Early America" one, and this modern one (I am not using collegiate jargon here.) But I do tend to watch what goes on in some of the playtests, I did so more often last year. And most of what I've seen is "Early America." I don't despise the time period at all, in fact, the 18th and 19th centuries, especially concerning warfare are quite possibly my favorite time periods in history. But as I said I am happy to participate in whatever, even if I have a clear preference for a different time period. 

1 hour ago, jnewt said:

Now I'm kind of wanting to do 1800 just to see how alternative of a history we can get...

Probably an alternate history where civil rights and womens rights happen unrealistically early

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Probably an alternate history where civil rights and womens rights happen unrealistically early

I was more so thinking from a states perspective (i.e. not admitting historical states, and admitting many ahistorical states) and amendments (specifically the 12th)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ebrk85 said:

How far behind is 1892? If I make it my number one will that bump it over 1800 in terms of preference points? If it will, we please use the following updated preference list:

1. 1892

2. 1972

3. 1788

If it wouldn’t affect anything, don’t worry about it. I don’t mean to come off as rude, I just really have very little interest in participating in an 1800 playtest.

• Based 1

14 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Add them together.  You guys will be the first 3692 playtest!

Cyborg Reagan and Nixons Head in a Jar is mine!!!!!

• Haha 2

@Murrman104 @jnewt @pman @DJBillyShakes @WVProgressive @dkh64 @ShortKing @Pringles

Ok so we are basically split 50/50 on wanting 1800 or 1892. Based on my time constraints, as I have less free time available now then I did over the past months I am am going with the easier to run 1800 playtest.  Sorry to those that are interested in that one. For anyone interested in participating let me know. You all have a spot first before I open it up to others. @Pringles if you would rather be in a test not from early America I have a spot in 1948 test that you are welcome to have. @jnewt You can have Pres Jefferson's faction although he is a RW Pop so that would mean you'd end up with the right wing of the Blue party which I know isn't your general preference. So you can have that or if not I'll still let you pick first once I post the different factions.

Oh and for those wanting 1892 feel free to take that one on 🙂 

Edited by ebrk85
  • Like 3