The Political Lounge

Era of Ideologies: Playtest from 1928

10centjimmy

3 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Should've been SecState for the Ambassador, but since it's also you, no harm no foul.  And in 3.028, the rules state the Secretary fills the spot - no confirmation vote is explicitly mentioned @MrPotatoTed. However, that seems like an oversight so I would move him forward to a confirmation, but since he has 3 admin and integrity. He's auto-confirmed!

I feel like they also changed who appoints all cabinet, military and ambassador vacancies to be the President now. But maybe that was just a suggestion and was never officially adopted into the rules.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

I feel like they also changed who appoints all cabinet, military and ambassador vacancies to be the President now. But maybe that was just a suggestion and was never officially adopted into the rules.

It was changed. Looks like part of the old rules escaped notice

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Dawes declines as he is currently holding an office. So these moves are void.  Recommend picking an unemployed (and not previously employed) statesman. 

OK, well for Fed Chair, let's try Charles F Adams III, MA, ebrk, Mod, 3 Admin.  If he declines, we go with Sherman Adams, NH, ebrk, Mod, 3 Admin.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

1 minute ago, Willthescout7 said:

It was changed. Looks like part of the old rules escaped notice

If so, it should probably be explicitly stated in 2.3, 2.4, and/or 3.028. Because as written, it's the sec-state for ambassadors, sec-war for generals and admirals, and the pres for cabinet and cabinet-level officers. Ideally it'd be consolidated 🙂 

• Like 1

The President may appoint members of his cabinet, cabinet-level positions, ambassadors, Generals, Admirals, and other notable individuals during this phase – though the exact offices that are available vary depending on which era you are in and which laws have passed.  In 1772, none of these positions exist and each must be created by acts of Congress – as eras advance, more and more offices will become available to create by law and fill by Presidential appointment.  

It says this right at the start of 2.3.1.  Got fixed at the start of the doc but missed in the middle. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Should've been SecState for the Ambassador, but since it's also you, no harm no foul.  And in 3.028, the rules state the Secretary fills the spot - no confirmation vote is explicitly mentioned @MrPotatoTed. However, that seems like an oversight so I would move him forward to a confirmation, but since he has 3 admin and integrity. He's auto-confirmed!

Yep, oversight as we changed the approval process. Thanks for flagging!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willthescout7 said:

The President may appoint members of his cabinet, cabinet-level positions, ambassadors, Generals, Admirals, and other notable individuals during this phase – though the exact offices that are available vary depending on which era you are in and which laws have passed.  In 1772, none of these positions exist and each must be created by acts of Congress – as eras advance, more and more offices will become available to create by law and fill by Presidential appointment.  

It says this right at the start of 2.3.1.  Got fixed at the start of the doc but missed in the middle. 

@MrPotatoTed This is noted through the 2.3 phase. As the abrupt opening happened in 2.4, the rules state: If an office holder dies or retires, see 3.0.28 “How sudden vacancies are filled” in the miscellaneous rules document.

So now we can see where the confusion comes from 🙂 

2 hours ago, matthewyoung123 said:

OK, well for Fed Chair, let's try Charles F Adams III, MA, ebrk, Mod, 3 Admin.  If he declines, we go with Sherman Adams, NH, ebrk, Mod, 3 Admin.

This works.  Charles Francis Adams III will finish out the term of George Humphrey (set to end in 1934). No change in enthusiasm or admin gains. @ebrk85 gains 50 points!

• Like 1

2.4 General Events

Diplomatic Gaffe

A diplomatic gaffe that was both comical and insulting is all over the news. Our opponents are certainly taking advantage of this episode.  @Murrman104 Ambassador to Russia/Soviet Union George M Humphrey is not a hit in the USSR. Relations with Russia -1 (now at 4, below neutral)

Nationalist March

A Nationalist March is taking place just outside the capital. This group also includes many nativists, espousing vitriol against foreign-born Americans, immigrants, religious minorities, and racial minorities. No domestic stability drop.  @matthewyoung123 President Hoover can choose to A) condemn the protest, or B) ignore the protest.   Hoover can also defer to AG Hyde.

Improper SC Justice

A Supreme Court Justice rarely makes the news, but considering the routinely confusing, inflammatory rhetoric used by this justice, one must question the justice's suitability for the court, if not their sanity. @matthewyoung123 Justice Edward T Sanford (controversial trait or judicial less than 3) faces an impeachment trial.  (I'll get into those rules after we finish the General Events!)

Major Earthquake

An high-level richter scale earthquake has hit a major US city and its environs, causing all sorts of disaster. Aftershocks are still occuring as we speak. Should we use federal intervention to help out in the recovery? San Francisco, CA hit by large earthquake. @matthewyoung123 can choose to A) send aid, or B) refrain from aid. Hoover can also defer to Secretary of Interior New. 

Major Oil Spill

President, a major oil spill is spreading off the coast of America. The oil company and volunteers are doing all they can, but the damage has been done. Planet Health -1 (now at 6)

A Politician of Their Word

Some voters may find something comforting in the growing predictability of Ernest King. However, this is going to make Ernest King easy prey when working with more wiley politicians. BlueRight's Ernest King gains predictable.

Russian Trade Tension

Trade tension has been gradually escalating and has now resulted in a diplomatic war of words between diplomats of both nations.  Relations with Russia -1 (now at 3, hostile)

Working on Judicial Skill

One politician is becoming known as something of a judicial expert by fellow politicians. RedRight's Consuelo N Bailey gains 1 judicial (now has 2).

Random SC Justice Gains Command

In an unusual move, a Supreme Court Justice considers a presidential run, believing on the judge of the highest court can fulfill the Constitution well.  @matthewyoung123 Associate Justice Harold Hitz Burton gains 1 command.

--

As President Hoover has micromanager, only cabinet members with both efficient and egghead can make a suggestion. That is limited to Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon @Murrman104.  Prior to Hoover's moves, action to @Murrman104 to provide input on Nationalist March and Major Earthquake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Hoover will do both of those; ignore the march, help the CA earthquake victims.

Nationalist March

For ignoring the march RW Pop enthusiasm stays the same, party preference stays the same. 

Major Earthquake

@MrPotatoTed flagging that the major earthquake says '50% + Rev/Budget" if you provide aid, but this is probably supposed to lose money. 

President Hoover will get +1 in CA for next election (Not Red party, just Hoover)

@ShortKing CA Gov CC Young gains +1 in next election for successfully handling the crisis

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Major Earthquake

@MrPotatoTed flagging that the major earthquake says '50% + Rev/Budget" if you provide aid, but this is probably supposed to lose money.

@vcczar This actually happens a lot, I noticed half a dozen laws in the revolutionary era where it gains money when it should lose money or Vice verse. I assume it’s an issue in other eras too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@vcczar This actually happens a lot, I noticed half a dozen laws in the revolutionary era where it gains money when it should lose money or Vice verse. I assume it’s an issue in other eras too.

I mean, it could be that providing aid means the area that is impacted doesn't suffer as much and so Rev/Budget doesn't decrease??  I dunno.

@MrPotatoTed also, for impeaching this SC Justice, do we follow the rules laid out in 3.05? Currently the rules state that the officeholder requires "controversial" while the gen event "Improper SC Justice" states it can be a justice with less than 3 judicial. Honestly, it feels odd to impeach the justice for having less than 3 judicial. If we can make a recommendation, I'd change the Gen Event to either lead to an impeachment of a justice with "controversial" and if that doesn't apply, then give a justice with judicial less than 3 the "controversial" trait. Then if the event fires again, at least then the impeachment makes sense. 

Also, we should include a note in 3.05 when an impeachment trial should take place.  Ideally it should take place during the Legislative Phase, but if a Gen Event fires, does that mean the trial takes place immediately? I believe in the 2021 playtest, an impeachment trial happened immediately...but I could be wrong.

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

I mean, it could be that providing aid means the area that is impacted doesn't suffer as much and so Rev/Budget doesn't decrease??  I dunno.

I think it's supposed to be like a FEMA/Emergency aid kind of thing, which would hit the budget level. Maybe there could be a prevention of the budget drop if the governor effectively manages the situation. (assuming the 50% roll is supposed to be a negative budget impact, of course)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Nationalist March

For ignoring the march RW Pop enthusiasm stays the same, party preference stays the same. 

Major Earthquake

President Hoover will get +1 in CA for next election (Not Red party, just Hoover)

@ShortKing CA Gov CC Young gains +1 in next election for successfully handling the crisis

For listening to Secretary Mellon, Cons + 1 Red (already at max Red +3)

15 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

@MrPotatoTed also, for impeaching this SC Justice, do we follow the rules laid out in 3.05? Currently the rules state that the officeholder requires "controversial" while the gen event "Improper SC Justice" states it can be a justice with less than 3 judicial. Honestly, it feels odd to impeach the justice for having less than 3 judicial. If we can make a recommendation, I'd change the Gen Event to either lead to an impeachment of a justice with "controversial" and if that doesn't apply, then give a justice with judicial less than 3 the "controversial" trait. Then if the event fires again, at least then the impeachment makes sense. 

Also, we should include a note in 3.05 when an impeachment trial should take place.  Ideally it should take place during the Legislative Phase, but if a Gen Event fires, does that mean the trial takes place immediately? I believe in the 2021 playtest, an impeachment trial happened immediately...but I could be wrong.

@vcczar wrote that and I haven’t tested it, so I’ll defer to him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I changed a few of them in the master, let me know if there's any I missed. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

Any changes that big will have to wait until after early release, if they're needed. No more big changes. 

Understood, I don't want to make a big change so I can figure my way around the general event,  but just flagging that right now the impeachment trial rules don't appear to state when it should take place. If the developer has already built that into the game I just want to make sure that we're accurately testing the game as well as we can. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

Understood, I don't want to make a big change so I can figure my way around the general event,  but just flagging that right now the impeachment trial rules don't appear to state when it should take place. If the developer has already built that into the game I just want to make sure that we're accurately testing the game as well as we can. 

Fair point!  I'd say to process it immediately.  That's how all the other general events work, I believe.

• Thanks 1

Alright, so according to 3.05 (ignoring it notes only a politician with "controversial " may be impeached) and the language of the Gen Event "Improper SC Justice," Justice Sanford goes directly to an impeachment trial - now to House Judicial Committee to determine articles of impeachment. I'm rolling for all committee members to determine what  articles Justice Sanford will be charged with before we move to a committee vote. 

If I'm supposed to roll individuals for the various offenses, Articles are:

Public Indecency x2

Obstruction of Justice x3

Bribery x2

Abuse of Power x6

Contempt of Congress x4

Treason

Perjury

Unethical Private Behavior

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Like 1