The Political Lounge

Era of Ideologies: Playtest from 1928

10centjimmy

On 3/25/2023 at 11:18 PM, 10centjimmy said:

FDR loses obscure, gains labor, passive

This is cursed on every level. I'm surprised FDR even starts with Obscure at this time considering he was the VP nominee in 1920. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Cal said:

This is cursed on every level. I'm surprised FDR even starts with Obscure at this time considering he was the VP nominee in 1920. 

In fairness there have been plenty of failed vp picks who promptly faded back into obscurity like William Miller, Gereldine Ferraro or hell Tim Kaine. Roosevelt was only assistant secretary of the navy and a New York state senator when he was selected as a running mate and promptly did nothing bar recovering from Polio for the best part of the next decade. I'm fairly sure he wasn't even governor of New York when this playtest started! So I think it's fair he starts with obscure

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2.4 Random Death/Retirements (I'll highlight current officeholder retiring at the end of their current terms)

" NO ONE IS SAFE"

-Ted

@jnewt 

- IL Rep. Henry T. Rainey will retire at the end of his term. 

- William Leighton Carss retires for family reasons.

- Luke Lea II dies of cancer.

@MrPotatoTed

- WV Rep. Matthew M Neely dies from a cerebral hemorrhage.

BlueRight

- NC Senator II Lee Overman will retire at the end of his term.

- Joseph Ransdell retires, disillusioned with politics.

- Lamartine Griffin Hardman dies from an unknown cause. 

@Umbrella

- William Cabell Bruce retires for personal health.

- CO Gov Billy Adams will retire at the end of his term.

@Largo833 

- John Sharp Williams retires for a private sector job.

- Joseph Weldon Bailey retires to become a lobbyist.

- Supreme Court Associate Justice James McReynolds dies of a heart attack. His replacement will be named during the Executive Phase.

@ShortKing

- Henry Wilson Temple retires, allegedly pressured out. 

- CA Senator I Hiram Johnson will retire at the end of his term.

- NE Senator II George W Norris dies from tuberculosis. 

@ebrk85 

- Ambassador to France Myron T Herrick retires to allow a new generation to enter national politics (international politics). 

- MI Rep James C McLaughlin will retire at the end of his term.

- Alex Groesbeck dies from diabetes. 

@matthewyoung123 

- VT Gov John E Weeks will retire at the end of his term.

- NE Rep Willis Sears will retire at the end of his term.

- WY Senator I Francis E Warren dies in a deadly accident (at age 86).

RedRight

- PA Rep George S Graham will retire at the end of his term.

- Luren Dickinson retired to become a University President.

- George P McLean dies from an unknown cause (casually tempting fate between the sitting Chief Justice and Secretary of Interior).

@Murrman104

- Schuyler Merritt retires for family reasons.

- ME Senator I Arthur R Gould will retire at the end of his term.

- Andrew Jackson Houston dies from tuberculosis.

Action to President @matthewyoung123 to name a new Ambassador to France.

Action to Gov @matthewyoung123 to name a new rep for West Virginia. 

Action to Gov @ebrk85 to name a new Senator II from Nebraska.

Action to Gov @ShortKing to name a new Senator I from Wyoming.

Once we get the replacements settled (and Ambassador confirmed) I'll move forward to General events.

• Haha 1

@10centjimmy Heads up, I just noticed you're using an old version of the meters.  The new version changes the requirements for certain levels of each meter.  Should be easy enough to implement, just bring in the new meter from the master template, and then move the meter levels to where they currently are in our game.  Let me know if you need a hand.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@10centjimmy Heads up, I just noticed you're using an old version of the meters.  The new version changes the requirements for certain levels of each meter.  Should be easy enough to implement, just bring in the new meter from the master template, and then move the meter levels to where they currently are in our game.  Let me know if you need a hand.

Yeah, help would be appreciated! I thought I made that change when @ebrk85 flagged it for me...which requirements are off?

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Yea same did it change again?

10 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Yeah, help would be appreciated! I thought I made that change when @ebrk85 flagged it for me...which requirements are off?

The one I noticed is that military prep doesn’t require militia act until like stage four now.  Not sure how different the others are, but I know that one because it was based off feedback I gave that it’s not possible to actually raise military prep during Rev war even though there’s lots of events and laws that claim to help.  It was capped too low as militia act isn’t proposable until the following era.

that has no relevance in 1928 of course, but there may be other differences too.  I’ll take care of it tonight.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

The one I noticed is that military prep doesn’t require militia act until like stage four now.  Not sure how different the others are, but I know that one because it was based off feedback I gave that it’s not possible to actually raise military prep during Rev war even though there’s lots of events and laws that claim to help.  It was capped too low as militia act isn’t proposable until the following era.

that has no relevance in 1928 of course, but there may be other differences too.  I’ll take care of it tonight.

That looks to be the only change that I could see.

8 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

There's also a big difference in Rev-Budget meters, for example, where restrictions vary based on which era you're playing in.  

Making the corrections now.

Yes I was looking at the games I gm which were correct to my eras.

12 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

2.4 Random Death/Retirements (I'll highlight current officeholder retiring at the end of their current terms)

Action to President @matthewyoung123 to name a new Ambassador to France.

Action to Gov @matthewyoung123 to name a new rep for West Virginia. 

Action to Gov @ebrk85 to name a new Senator II from Nebraska.

Action to Gov @ShortKing to name a new Senator I from Wyoming.

Once we get the replacements settled (and Ambassador confirmed) I'll move forward to General events.

President Hoover names Charles E Wilson, MI, Cons, Murman faction, as the new French Ambassador.

Gov Conley appoints Carl G Bachmann, WV, Mod, matthewyoung faction, as the new Rep for West Virginia.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

Ah dang. Apologies all. @matthewyoung123 I need you to nominate a Federal reserve chair since George M Humphrey, your new Ambassador to Russia, was previously in that role.

Hoover appoints Charles G Dawes, IL, Mod, RedRight faction, 3 Admin (and current Ambassador to the UK), to the post of Federal Reserve Chair.  He has business & economics experience, both a necessity for Fed Reserve Chair.

Hoover will then appoint Robert P Lamont, IL, Mod, RedRight faction, 3 Admin, to be the new UK Ambassador.

1 hour ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Hoover appoints Charles G Dawes, IL, Mod, RedRight faction, 3 Admin (and current Ambassador to the UK), to the post of Federal Reserve Chair.  He has business & economics experience, both a necessity for Fed Reserve Chair.

Hoover will then appoint Robert P Lamont, IL, Mod, RedRight faction, 3 Admin, to be the new UK Ambassador.

Dawes declines as he is currently holding an office. So these moves are void.  Recommend picking an unemployed (and not previously employed) statesman. 

1 hour ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Hoover names Charles E Wilson, MI, Cons, Murman faction, as the new French Ambassador.

Gov Conley appoints Carl G Bachmann, WV, Mod, matthewyoung faction, as the new Rep for West Virginia.

Should've been SecState for the Ambassador, but since it's also you, no harm no foul.  And in 3.028, the rules state the Secretary fills the spot - no confirmation vote is explicitly mentioned @MrPotatoTed. However, that seems like an oversight so I would move him forward to a confirmation, but since he has 3 admin and integrity. He's auto-confirmed!

• Like 1