The Political Lounge

"I Think Something's The Matter With Ted," - A 1772 Playthrough

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I honestly like that rule, having vaguely recalled it myself, but I can't actually find it anywhere.   I also thought they had to have a trait like egghead or charismatic or something.  Do you see it anywhere?

Here's the thing... I was going to delete it... but I'm pretty sure I hadn't done so yet, so it wasn't me.... TBH in the meantime it's grown on me.  Or maybe I've had bad memory.

I found @vcczar said in the feedback thread (when I first raised this issue):

author rules set for Declaration of Independence. The author must come from VA, PA, or MA. They must have egghead, orator, debater, or must already have celebrity.

I can't find it in the actual rules, but we'll follow this since it came from V.

• Like 1

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

I found @vcczar said in the feedback thread (when I first raised this issue):

author rules set for Declaration of Independence. The author must come from VA, PA, or MA. They must have egghead, orator, debater, or must already have celebrity.

I can't find it in the actual rules, but we'll follow this since it came from V.

It's part of the Declaration of Independence event. I was looking at it this morning.

Doesn't say that they have to be in the CC though.

1 minute ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

It's part of the Declaration of Independence event. I was looking at it this morning.

Doesn't say that they have to be in the CC though.

Fair point.  I just found it in the Dec of Independence LEgal proposal as well.  Let's go ahead and say it does need to be CC (since historically it was).  I'll flag that for V to add to the rules at some point.

• Like 1

In that case, the vote is once again: 

CT: NAY
DE: AYE
GA: AYE
MA: AYE 
MD: AYE
NC: AYE
NH: ABSTAIN (Split vote)
NJ: AYE
NY: AYE
PA: AYE
RI: ABSTAIN (Split vote)
SC: NAY
VA: AYE

I love that New England is the one under attack and yet they're also the ones who are afraid to take a stand (other than MA).  Regardless, the declaration passes 9-2, with two states abstaining!

• Like 2

Sammy Adams is already a celebrity in his own right thanks to leading the Boston Tea Party, but now cousin John becomes a celebrity as well for presiding over the passage of Sammy's Declaration of Independence. @Ich_bin_Tyler

@Murrman104 keeps getting richer. +250.  He now has an 800 point lead on his closest competitor, @Ich_bin_Tyler.

Military Prep would improve, but you haven't passed the Militia Act yet.  To be fair, you also haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.

Legislative Phase time!

Reminders:

Proposing and passing a continental army is worth 2x points.

Foundational bills and crisis bills have special rules encouraging their passage (see 2.6).

The following can make a proposal:

@Murrman104 Author of the Declaration of Independence Sammy Adams of MA
@10centjimmy John Patten of Delaware
@OrangeP47 Faction Leader Francis Hopkinson of New Jersey
GeorgeWashingtonCPU George Washington of Virginia
GeorgeWashingtonCPU Roger Sherman of Connecticut
PatrickHenryCPU Josiah Bartlett of New Hampshire

Go ahead and propose for the CPU too.  Thank you!

Oh, also please fill out columns EL and EM on all player/CPU sheets (committee experience/chair experience.  We'll call the Cont Congress "House" experience as it follows the committee rules for the House.

Misc Rules (3.0) offer achievements for "iconic politicians."

@Murrman104 Sam Adams has earned "Father of the Declaration of Independence," and "gains a memorial."  I think the opportunity to propose such a memorial comes in a later phase of the game.

@Ich_bin_Tyler John Adams has earned "Famous signature" for presiding over the passage of the declaration.  For centuries on, political nerds will refer to signatures as a "John Adams", leading to a funny scene in the 1995 movie Tommy Boy in which Chris Farley will mistakenly refer to it as a "Herbie Adams."

• Haha 2
  • Based 1