The Political Lounge

A More Perfect Administration - Game Thread

OrangeP47

14 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Can I assume these are all actions?  Even if they are obviously ya'll can discuss them, we're not robots, but I just want to be clear.

Hmmm good point.  I suppose the act of proposing is the action. But I would hope there would be debate on them as well. I'll add the action notifier. 

With that in mind, Rep Bull also leads the Committee in *ACTION finalizing the procedures for bringing legislation to debate. 

• Like 1

ACTION:

Congressman James proposes the Judiciary Act of 1789, establishing a 7 member Supreme Court (1 Chief, 6 Associates), 15 judicial districts (one for each state, and an additional district for VA and MA), and within each judicial district a circuit court and district court. This bill would also establish the Department of Justice and the office of Attorney General, responsible for representing the United States before the Supreme Court, as well as a United States Attorney and United States Marshal for each judicial district, all to be appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate.

These elements are of course up to debate but Congressman James feels they are necessary for creating a judiciary and providing a framework for congressional oversight regarding the courts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Hmmm good point.  I suppose the act of proposing is the action. But I would hope there would be debate on them as well. I'll add the action notifier. 

With that in mind, Rep Bull also leads the Committee in *ACTION finalizing the procedures for bringing legislation to debate. 

Yeah I feel like I'm not helping, but I don't want us to get too hung up on it.  It's mostly so I 100% know you want to do a thing so you aren't left out when I process things.  What an "action" can be can literally be anything.  In in person games it's a lot easier, but it's basically me asking "are you doing it or are you TALKING about doing it", which comes up surprisingly often especially in games where the players are communicating psychically or something and if they're actually talking out loud the guard would hear them and end the adventure right then and there.

2 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

ACTION:

Congressman James proposes the Judiciary Act of 1789, establishing a 7 member Supreme Court (1 Chief, 6 Associates), 15 judicial districts (one for each state, and an additional district for VA and MA), and within each judicial district a circuit court and district court. This bill would also establish the Department of Justice and the office of Attorney General, responsible for representing the United States before the Supreme Court, as well as a United States Attorney and United States Marshal for each judicial district, all to be appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate.

These elements are of course up to debate but Congressman James feels they are necessary for creating a judiciary and providing a framework for congressional oversight regarding the courts. 

Not commenting on the merits of this, but this is a good example of a good action.  Well done.  When proposing legislation, something like this is great.  It doesn't have to be a novel, but just a blurb like this is right on the nose.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Not commenting on the merits of this, but this is a good example of a good action.  Well done.  When proposing legislation, something like this is great.  It doesn't have to be a novel, but just a blurb like this is right on the nose.

heheh you say that now, as I wrote an entire actual bill

• Based 1

Just now, Blockmon said:

heheh you say that now, as I wrote an entire actual bill

I mean that's great too.  I don't want to discourage that.  I don't want others to feel like they have to go that distance if they don't want to though.  The fun thing is both styles are viable.  Barebones I can simply invent flaws or merits of your bill myself, but if you want to write it, well then, I guess I'll just have to pick apart the ACTUAL flaws and merits.  I have a Masters in Political Science, so I've got some practice with legislation 😉

• Based 2

52 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Representative Bull, having experienced the power of the French navy firsthand at the battle of Yorktown, ACTION calls for an increased investment in river/coastal fefenses and ships to protect trade and settlers from piracy, Native incursions, and foreign threats. 

He ACTION proposes an increase in domestic tariffs to 8 cents per ton for this investment, and to secure funding for the Federal Departments of the Navy and War to maintain the fleet/Defenses.  

He ACTION calls for ship/Defense contracts to be shared between maritime industries across the country. 

ACTION: 

Representative James will echo Representative Bull's calls for increased investment and shared contracts, and will lobby his fellow Representatives to support the increase in tariffs as proposed by Representative Bull. 

ACTION:

Governor Hawkins will schedule a meeting with the New York congressional delegation, seeking to get them to stand on mutual ground with him at this legislative session. Key points for him will be the opposition of tariffs, which he believes will weaken New York's ability to grow its economy, as well as an extra judicial district for New York in the Judiciary Act.

He will also lobby the New York delegation to create a an amendment which would permanently place the capital in New York City.

ACTION: 
Thomas, a northerner realized that a tariff and a national is needed to supply the newly created government, with the help of Rep James. I will propose the Compromise Tariff of 1789, a tariff will be created and described below and a national bank will be created below. In exchange, a different law has also been proposed to finalize the deal. The deal was made by Rep James @ShortKing and he will help bring the south to support the tariff.

**The Compromise Tariff Act of 1789**

Section 1: Title

This Act may be referred to as the Compromise Tariff Act of 1789.

Section 2: Findings and Purpose

The Congress finds that the economic prosperity of the United States requires the encouragement of both agriculture and industry. This Act aims to protect the interests of all states and stimulate economic growth in the North without unduly burdening the South.

Section 3: Revision of Existing Tariffs

(a) The tariff on foreign goods shall be adjusted from 50 cents per ton to 65 cents per ton.

(b) The tariff on American goods shall be adjusted from 6 cents per ton to 9 cents per ton.

Section 4: Introduction of Sliding Scale Tariffs

(a) To encourage domestic industry, a sliding scale tariff will be introduced on certain foreign manufactured goods. This tariff will begin at a rate of 10% ad valorem in the first year and decrease by 1% per year for a total of 10 years, at which point it will stabilize at a rate of 0%.

Section 5: Tariff Exemptions

(a) Raw materials required for the production of goods in Northern industries, such as cotton and tobacco from Southern states, will be exempted from both foreign and American tariffs.

Section 6: Revenue Allocation

(a) A portion of the revenue generated from these tariffs will be allocated towards the development of infrastructure in the North, including roads, canals, and factories.

(b) A portion of the revenue will also be allocated towards the establishment of a national bank to support the country's financial stability and to promote investment in both agricultural and industrial sectors.

Section 7: Review and Adjustment

This Act shall be reviewed every 10 years to adjust the tariffs in line with economic development and progress, ensuring the continued growth and prosperity of all states.

Section 8: Establishment of the National Bank

(a) To promote financial stability, economic growth, and investment in all sectors, a National Bank of the United States will be established.

(b) The National Bank will be modeled after the First Bank of the United States, with additional elements borrowed from the modern Federal Reserve system to ensure its effectiveness and adaptability.

(i) The National Bank will be responsible for issuing a unified national currency. This will provide a stable and reliable medium of exchange, facilitating trade and commerce across states.

(ii) The National Bank will hold the country's gold and silver reserves, and will be responsible for managing the money supply to maintain price stability and support economic growth. It will have the ability to contract or expand the money supply, as necessary, through open market operations.

(iii) The National Bank will serve as the lender of last resort, providing financial assistance to banks in times of economic distress to prevent bank failures and maintain public confidence in the banking system.

(c) The National Bank will have branches in all states to ensure accessibility. These branches will provide banking services to individuals, businesses, and the government, including accepting deposits, making loans, and providing safekeeping services.

(d) The National Bank will be overseen by a Board of Directors. The Board will consist of representatives from all states to ensure that the interests of both the North and the South are represented. The Board will be responsible for setting monetary policy and overseeing the operations of the National Bank.

(e) A portion of the revenue generated from the tariffs established by this Act will be allocated to the National Bank to support its operations and to provide capital for loans and investment.

(f) The National Bank will be subject to regular audits to ensure its transparency and accountability.

(g) The establishment and operations of the National Bank will be reviewed along with the review and adjustment of the tariffs as outlined in Section 7 of this Act.
----------------------------------

Outside Action Talking: (this isn't a part of the law but separate that will be included with the law and help for voting)
Section 9: The Compromise
(a) The Speaker of the House shall have the ability to appoint representatives to committees chairman and ranking members. Chairman Committees will appoint members of the committee.
(b) Rep James shall be appointed as Rules Committee Chairman
(c) The Rules Committee will gain a lot of power. (Similar to modern-day one)

Edited by Blockmon
  • Based 2

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

The Capital IS New York City.

Shoutout to me misreading the wikipedia page for what was capital in 1789, eh?

• Haha 1

ACTION:  to answer Bull's call, Thomas will also introduce The Defense and Naval Enhancement Act. It will increase funding for the federal army and navy and will increase funding for coastal defenses and ship manufacturing. 

**The Defense and Naval Enhancement Act**

Section 1: Title

This Act may be referred to as the Defense and Naval Enhancement Act.

Section 2: Findings and Purpose

The Congress finds that the defense of the United States and its coastal regions requires enhanced funding and support. This Act aims to strengthen our nation's military, enhance coastal defense, and stimulate ship manufacturing.

Section 3: Federal Army and Navy Funding

(a) The budget for the Federal Army and Navy will be increased by 15%.

Section 4: Coastal Defense Funding

(a) Funding for coastal defenses will be increased by 20%, with particular emphasis on fortifications, artillery placements, and other necessary military installations.

Section 5: Ship Manufacturing

(a) Funding for ship manufacturing will be increased by 25% to support the expansion of the Federal Navy.

Section 6: Allocation of Funds

(a) Funds allocated by this Act shall be drawn from the general revenues of the United States.

Section 7: Oversight and Review

(a) The Secretary of Defense shall provide annual reports to Congress detailing the allocation and impact of the funds provided by this Act.

Final Action: Thomas after this session will start writing multiple pamphlets and letters to expand the idea of patriotism and protection of a federal government. That Federalism is needed for a surviving union. He shall then release this throughout the nation to expand his ideology.
Edited by Blockmon

19 minutes ago, Blockmon said:

Outside Action Talking: (this isn't a part of the law but separate that will be included with the law and help for voting)
Section 9: The Compromise
(a) The Speaker of the House shall have the ability to appoint representatives to committees chairman and ranking members. Chairman Committees will appoint members of the committee.
(b) Rep James shall be appointed as Rules Committee Chairman
(c) The Rules Committee will gain a lot of power. (Similar to modern-day one)

@OrangeP47 to be clear, since there’s no way to mess up appointing chairs, James is automatically chair now and the roll will have more to do with how it’s received?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ShortKing said:

@OrangeP47 to be clear, since there’s no way to mess up appointing chairs, James is automatically chair now and the roll will have more to do with how it’s received?

So, I was about to say this anyway:  I'm actually rolling for (some) of this stuff now, just being very careful not to tip what happens until the next turn posts.  You can, of course, always take things back, I'm happy to untangle the rolls, etc.  It just lets me have all your guys actions interact with each other, so like an action can affect an action, etc.  That doesn't really have anything to do with your question, but this was just an opportune time to mention it.

More on point:  Yes, actions can be crafted in such a way that, technically speaking, "success" is a 100% sure thing, or at least, success according to the terms you were using.  In those cases, if you roll poorly, more often than not the "failure" will have to do with PR, or some unintended consequence you didn't think of like the classic monkey's paw trope.  This is NOT what happened, but say you rolled a a 5.  As a result of being chair of the rules committee, you weren't able to be chair of the agriculture committee, and the agriculture committee suddenly gets some really stupid idea you absolutely hate and it has near unanimous committee support, shooting it down now would look really bad, even if you could do it.  That's an example of something that might happen.  Really it could be anything.  I try to be creative.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

So, I was about to say this anyway:  I'm actually rolling for (some) of this stuff now, just being very careful not to tip what happens until the next turn posts.  You can, of course, always take things back, I'm happy to untangle the rolls, etc.  It just lets me have all your guys actions interact with each other, so like an action can affect an action, etc.  That doesn't really have anything to do with your question, but this was just an opportune time to mention it.

More on point:  Yes, actions can be crafted in such a way that, technically speaking, "success" is a 100% sure thing, or at least, success according to the terms you were using.  In those cases, if you roll poorly, more often than not the "failure" will have to do with PR, or some unintended consequence you didn't think of like the classic monkey's paw trope.  This is NOT what happened, but say you rolled a a 5.  As a result of being chair of the rules committee, you weren't able to be chair of the agriculture committee, and the agriculture committee suddenly gets some really stupid idea you absolutely hate and it has near unanimous committee support, shooting it down now would look really bad, even if you could do it.  That's an example of something that might happen.  Really it could be anything.  I try to be creative.

I'll also add, sometimes you won't know what happens.  It'll trigger an "event for later" that might spring up by surprise in a few more turns.  Those can be good or bad though.

1 hour ago, ShortKing said:

ACTION:

Senator Allison in the Senate agrees with this Act and hopes it will pass the House so it can be voted on in the Senate and sent to the President.

Action- Ambassador Montogomery is disturbed by the thoughts of increasing tariffs and worrried about the effect this may have on Franco-American trade relations. He will attempt a kite and will leak various discussed tariff rates to the Parisian press to gauge French opinion on them.  Depending on the reaction the Ambassador will either do nothing or warn Congress about any repercussions.  He will leak 2 tariff increases; firstly a 25-cent increase along with the proposed sliding scale and then a few days later the 15-cent proposed increase in the compromise bill. The hope is that if the French initially think it much higher before hearing a lower increase later they might be mollified. 

1 hour ago, ShortKing said:

ACTION:

Completely sorry orange

Action: House speaker Thomas also supports the act and will try to convince reps to accept this.