The Political Lounge

A More Perfect Administration - Game Thread

OrangeP47

ACTION:  Allison proposes the Residence Act for debate in the US Senate.  This bill proposes that the federal government would assume the unpaid debts that the states had incurred during the Revolution.  It also proposes that a select committee choose the location of the Federal capital somewhere along an 80-mile stretch of the Potomac River in either Virginia, Maryland, or parts of both states.  

REASON:  Whatever capital is settled on needed to be a Federal city, not one controlled by a state government. No state should have an advantage over the other states, and the federal government needs to be in charge of its own house. In Article I, Section 8, the Constitution states that Congress shall have the power “to exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States.” 

So, the Southern states will agree to take on Northern states debt in return for the placement of the new Federal capital in the Upper South.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Based 2

7 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

ACTION:  Allison proposes the Residence Act for debate in the US Senate.  This bill proposes that the federal government would assume the unpaid debts that the states had incurred during the Revolution.  It also proposes that a select committee choose the location of the Federal capital somewhere along an 80-mile stretch of the Potomac River in either Virginia, Maryland, or parts of both states.  

REASON:  Whatever capital is settled on needed to be a Federal city, not one controlled by a state government. No state should have an advantage over the other states, and the federal government needs to be in charge of its own house. In Article I, Section 8, the Constitution states that Congress shall have the power “to exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States.” 

So, the Southern states will agree to take on Northern states debt in return for the placement of the new Federal capital in the Upper South.

ACTION: Hawkins will, obviously, try to whip the New York delegation against this bill.

ACTION: He will also give a speech directly in front of Federal Hall, where he calls upon the people of his state to protect themselves from those blasted southerners who would seek to move the capital away from being the nation's largest, most historic city. He tells New Yorkers that they have the power to pressure Congress, and that they the people should use that power.

• Based 1

8 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

ReAction: Thomas will support this.

• Haha 1

Action: Governor Jacob Blair, and his allies, introduces his "Democracy Package" to the Pennsylvania General Assembly. The governor hopes that successes in Pennsylvania can be an inspiration, and example to follow for other states in the country. The first part of the package is a proposal which will expand suffrage to all white males over the age of twenty-one without a property or tax requirement, as well widowed women who own property.

Action: The second is a bill that would abolish at-large elections for congressional elections. Instead, the legislature, and the governor shall work together to establish a map of districts equal to the number of representatives allocated to the state in the most recent census. Congressional districts are required to be compact, relatively equal in population, and representative of the community. 

Action: The third is a proposal which will establish rules for how every election in Pennsylvania is to be carried out. Every election, from the general assembly districts to the statewide election for President, is to be determined by a popular vote plurality of the registered voters in the relevant district. The bill also establishes the Pennsylvania Board of Elections, a board of five appointed members (two by the legislature, and three by the Governor) who are responsible for ensuring that elections are carried out correctly, as well as conducting investigations into accusations of electoral impropriety.

Action: The fourth, and final proposal is one that seeks to democratize the selection of Senators, without fully depriving the state legislature of this power. On the first Tuesday in May in years in which a senator must be (re-)appointed, eligible voters in Pennsylvania will be given the right to vote for they believe ought to be appointed. The top two vote getters will them be deliberated by the state legislature who will then have the right to appointment one of them to the Senate. If no senator is appointed by the first of the next year, then whichever of the two candidates won a plurality of the vote shall be deemed the winner, and automatically be appointed Senator.

( @OrangeP47 If I'm doing too many events just tell me, and I'll delete some of these.) 

• Based 1

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

Action: Governor Jacob Blair, and his allies, introduces his "Democracy Package" to the Pennsylvania General Assembly. The governor hopes that successes in Pennsylvania can be an inspiration, and example to follow for other states in the country. The first part of the package is a proposal which will expand suffrage to all white males over the age of twenty-one without a property or tax requirement, as well widowed women who own property.

Action: The second is a bill that would abolish at-large elections for congressional elections. Instead, the legislature, and the governor shall work together to establish a map of districts equal to the number of representatives allocated to the state in the most recent census. Congressional districts are required to be compact, relatively equal in population, and representative of the community. 

Action: The third is a proposal which will establish rules for how every election in Pennsylvania is to be carried out. Every election, from the general assembly districts to the statewide election for President, is to be determined by a popular vote plurality of the registered voters in the relevant district. The bill also establishes the Pennsylvania Board of Elections, a board of five appointed members (two by the legislature, and three by the Governor) who are responsible for ensuring that elections are carried out correctly, as well as conducting investigations into accusations of electoral impropriety.

Action: The fourth, and final proposal is one that seeks to democratize the selection of Senators, without fully depriving the state legislature of this power. On the first Tuesday in May in years in which a senator must be (re-)appointed, eligible voters in Pennsylvania will be given the right to vote for they believe ought to be appointed. The top two vote getters will them be deliberated by the state legislature who will then have the right to appointment one of them to the Senate. If no senator is appointed by the first of the next year, then whichever of the two candidates won a plurality of the vote shall be deemed the winner, and automatically be appointed Senator.

( @OrangeP47 If I'm doing too many events just tell me, and I'll delete some of these.) 

I can kind of amalgamate some, etc, to 'tidy it up' so it's fine as is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rezi said:

ACTION: Hawkins will, obviously, try to whip the New York delegation against this bill.

ACTION: He will also give a speech directly in front of Federal Hall, where he calls upon the people of his state to protect themselves from those blasted southerners who would seek to move the capital away from being the nation's largest, most historic city. He tells New Yorkers that they have the power to pressure Congress, and that they the people should use that power.

14 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Action: Governor Blair will also whip against the act, calling it an attempt by the Federalists to increase the power of the Federal government, and the Southern aristocracy all in one fell swoop. He quips that if they want to move the capital, they ought to move it to the birthplace of American Republicanism, rather than letting it languish in the swamps of Dixieland, or the smog ridden streets of Manhattan.

• Based 2

Action: Seemingly without too much to do in the realm of foreign affairs at the present moment, Secretary Brennan finds himself in the Federal Hall advocating to on-the-fence legislators for the passage of the Residence Bill, privately because the potential of the capital being in Pennsylvania scares the hell out of him.

Action: Similarly, Brennan spends some time in the Hall advocating in favor of the the Speaker’s tariff. He says that if the government were to not be allowed to generate adequate revenue to operate, we would not have learned anything from our time under the Articles of Confederation.

Edited by Euri

Just now, Cal said:

Y’all popped off while I’m at work haha. I’ll be looking through all of this more in depth when I get off!

Man I'm the one here having to note all this down and I have like the mother off all head colds (stayed home from work today).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Based 1

25 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Action: Governor Blair will also whip against the act, calling it an attempt by the Federalists to increase the power of the Federal government, and the Southern aristocracy all in one fell swoop. He quips that if they want to move the capital, they ought to move it to the birthplace of American Republicanism, rather than letting it languish in the swamps of Dixieland, or the smog ridden streets of Manhattan.

The bill is not "Federalist".  It simply upholds the Constitution.  In Article I, Section 8, the Constitution states that Congress shall have the power “to exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States.” This is not a power granted to a governor or a state legislature.

The capital of the nation should NOT be under the jurisdiction of any state government.

If it stays in NY, then it will be unduly influenced by bankers and investors.  It should also not move permanently to PA since the city of Philadelphia is the capital of Pennsylvania and the politics of PA will influence the politics of the Federal government.  However, I would entertain a motion to move it to Philadelphia, temporarily, until a new Federal district is ready to receive the government.

The Southern states, by in large, paid their state debts off in the years under the Articles of Confederation, and they did so at great sacrifice to their own well being.  If you want the southern state governments (MD, VA, NC, SC, GA) to incur the great amount of debt of the northern states, we need a sufficient compromise to make it happen.  I believe the Residency Act does just that.

(OOC: Dixie is not a term at this time and isn't used, really, until the mid 19th century)

Edited by matthewyoung123
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Euri said:

NotAnAction: Brennan begins seriously considering asking Secretary Kent if Stone did anything to him personally…

While i served in the late war, he stone stayed home buying land with inflationary dollars so when i moved here he owned all the good land around my new plantation which now is mostly forest grassland and swamp.   He also refuses to invite me to his yearly Christmas party 

Oh also it is possible his slaves are all his children as he is known to sleep around

Edited by Bushwa777

10 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

The bill is not "Federalist".  It simply upholds the Constitution.  In Article I, Section 8, the Constitution states that Congress shall have the power “to exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States.” This is not a power granted to a governor or a state legislature.

The capital of the nation should NOT be under the jurisdiction of any state government.

If it stays in NY, then it will be unduly influenced by bankers and investors.  It should also not move permanently to PA since the city of Philadelphia is the capital of Pennsylvania and the politics of PA will influence the politics of the Federal government.  However, I would entertain a motion to move it to Philadelphia, temporarily, until a new Federal district is ready to receive the government.

The Southern states, by in large, paid their state debts off in the years under the Articles of Confederation, and they did so at great sacrifice to their own well being.  If you want the southern state governments (MD, VA, NC, SC, GA) to incur the great amount of debt of the northern states, we need a sufficient compromise to make it happen.  I believe the Residency Act does just that.

(OOC: Dixie is not a term at this time and isn't used, really, until the mid 19th century)

I will offer a compromise deal. Instead of between Virginia and Maryland, we move the capital to the tri-state area where New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey meet. It is quite a beautiful area, mostly unsettled, and a much better area for a settlement than a swamp. This capital would remain its own jurisdiction as laid out in the original deal, but it would be in the populational center of the country, rather than the geographical.

• Based 1

2 minutes ago, Rezi said:

I will make a compromise deal. Instead of between Virginia and Maryland, we move the capital to the tri-state area where New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey meet. It is quite a beautiful area, mostly unsettled, and a much better area for a settlement than a swamp. This capital would remain its own jurisdiction as laid out in the original deal, but it would be in the populational center of the country, rather than the geographical.

Secretary of Treasury Kent suggests that the capital should be moved to land owned by Stone who should be buried in the capital cement 

ACTION: Senator Allison seeks to gather support for the Residency Act from Congressman James-VA @ShortKing, Congressman Bull- NC @10centjimmy, Speaker Wilson-MA @Blockmon, Senator Lincoln-SC @The Blood, Governors Marlon-SC @Pringles and Dobb @Dobs, and also Treasury Secretary Kent @Bushwa777  and Vice-President Clark @Hestia.  As the bill would ultimately go to President Gold's desk, Allison will not ask the President to take a position on the bill, one way or the other, but hopes he would see the benefit of the proposed legislation.  He explains why the compromise will work in favor of the Federal government and that it will benefit BOTH regions of the county by consolidating debt and establishing a permanent Federal district for the nation to operate in.

• Based 1

5 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

The Southern states, by in large, paid their state debts off in the years under the Articles of Confederation, and they did so at great sacrifice to their own well being.  If you want the southern state governments (MD, VA, NC, SC, GA) to incur the debt of the northern states, we need a sufficient compromise to make it happen.  I believe the Residency Act does just that.

I advocate for no such thing. Pennsylvania shall pay off her debts herself. This act would unduly empower the federal government, and I have opposed it since the beginning for that reason, as well as due to the aforementioned bid to move the capitol. 

• Like 1

Action: Governor Marlon knows his state continues to be plagued with raids, largely by the Cherokee Indians that sided with the British during the Revolutionary War. Farms are being raided, the land is unused, and with the weather clearing up, something needs to be done to guarantee the future prosperity of his state. Marlon will work with his state's legislature to pass a Native Removal Act. The act will mobilize the South Carolina Militia to venture further West and North into the state and push American Indians, specifically Cherokee Indians who fought against America out of the state entirely, by force if necessary. If major resistance is encountered the South Carolina Militia is authorized to "Burn every savage village to the fullest extent necessary." Marlon insists upon immediate action to pass the bill and to disregard any "national" treaties concerning the Native menace that shows no regard for them. The SC Militia will rely largely on volunteers, and Marlon will personally see to a provision of the bill that summarily guarantees, "Any man that assists the fight against the Savage menace will receive up to 20 acres of arable land, which will be issued by the South Carolina Government." Marlon knows this gesture will expand the amount of less wealthy white landowners in his state, and reward his fellow men of the Revolutionary War. 

Action: Upon hearing calls for tariff increases and proposals for a disastrous National Bank, Marlon will meet with the Congressional delegation of his state and begin whipping against these measures. Any measure that increases tariffs or proposes a bank should be dead on arrival to the men of South Carolina. Marlon is noted as saying, "These proposals are no better than what the British imposed upon us. It's a disgrace to any man who fought for Liberty!" Marlon also frames the issue as necessary to protect his state's farmers who will be tirelessly working this year. 

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

I advocate for no such thing. Pennsylvania shall pay off her debts herself. This act would unduly empower the federal government, and I have opposed it since the beginning for that reason, as well as due to the aforementioned bid to move the capitol. 

So, Governor, you want not to empower the Federal government, yet you advocate for the seat of that government, which you seem opposed to, to be located in your state?  I find this position to be somewhat contradictory. 

4 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

ACTION: Senator Allison seeks to gather support for the Residency Act from Congressman James-VA @ShortKing, Congressman Bull- NC @10centjimmy, Speaker Wilson-MA @Blockmon, Senator Lincoln-SC @The Blood, Governors Marlon-SC @Pringles and Dobb @Dobs, and also Treasury Secretary Kent @Bushwa777  and Vice-President Clark @Hestia.  As the bill would ultimately go to President Gold's desk, Allison will not ask the President to take a position on the bill, one way or the other, but hopes he would see the benefit of the proposed legislation.  He explains why the compromise will work in favor of the Federal government and that it will benefit BOTH regions of the county by consolidating debt and establishing a permanent Federal district for the nation to operate in.

Action: i kent support this

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

It's why there's the abstracted Congress and dice rolls.  Ya'll don't have to get along, history will march forward regardless.

Basically, debate stalling here doesn't mean the event stalled.  So don't worry too hard.