The Political Lounge

The Grassroots Divide: A 1772 Two-Player Populist Showdown

Cal

The First Presidential Election of the United States of America: 1780

The state of Connecticut and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... Dudley Saltonstall! +7 EVs. (Total: 7)
The state of Connecticut and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... John Bartram!  +7 EVs. (Total: 7)
The second slate of electors was split between John Bartram and James Wilson. Wilson can challenge the results if he chooses to do so.

The state of Delaware and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... John Bartram! +3 EVs. (Total: 10)
The state of Delaware and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... James Wilson! +3 EVs. (Total: 3)

The state of Georgia and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... Dudley Saltonstall! +5 EVs. (Total: 12)
The state of Georgia and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... James Wilson! +5 EVs. (Total: 8 )

The state of Massachusetts and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... Dudley Saltonstall! +10 EVs. (Total: 22)
The state of Massachusetts and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... John Bartram! +10 EVs. (Total: 20)

The state of Maryland and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... John Bartram! +8 EVs. (Total: 28)
The state of Maryland and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... Dudley Saltonstall! +8 EVs. (Total: 30)
The second slate of electors was split between Dudley Saltonstall and James Wilson. Wilson can challenge the results if he chooses to do so.

The state of North Carolina and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... James Wilson! +7 EVs. (Total: 15)
The state of North Carolina and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... Thomas Jefferson! +7 EVs. (Total: 7)

The state of New Hampshire and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... John Bartram!+5 EVs. (Total: 35)
The state of New Hampshire and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... Dudley Saltonstall! +5 EVs. (Total: 37)

The state of New Jersey and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... James Wilson! +6 EVs. (Total: 21)
The state of New Jersey and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... John Bartram! +6 EVs. (Total: 41)
The second slate of electors was split between Dudley Saltonstall and John Bartram. Saltonstall can challenge the results if he chooses to do so.

The state of New York and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... John Bartram! +8 EVs. (Total: 49)
The state of New York and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... George Clinton! +8 EVs. (Total: 8 )

The state of Pennsylvania and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... John Bartram! +10 EVs. (Total: 59)
The state of Pennsylvania and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... James Wilson! +10 EVs. (Total: 31)

The state of Rhode Island and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... James Wilson! +3 EVs. (Total: 40)
The state of Rhode Island and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... Dudley Saltonstall! +3 EVs. (Total: 34)
The second slate of electors was split between John Bartram and Dudley Saltonstall. Bartram can challenge the results if he chooses to do so.

The state of South Carolina and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... Dudley Saltonstall! +7 EVs. (Total: 47)
The state of South Carolina and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... James Wilson! +7 EVs. (Total: 41)

The state of Virginia and it's first slate of electors casts their ballot for... James Wilson! +12 EVs. (Total: 53)
The state of Virginia and it's second slate of electors casts their ballot for... Thomas Jefferson! +12 EVs. (Total: 19)

Edited by Cal

The 1st President of the United States is RedModCPU John Bartram! The celebrity botanist turned president gains +1 Command. (1 --> 2)

The 1st Vice President of the United States is RedLibCPU James Wilson!

Both Rezi and I were beat out by the CPU. I personally blame Wilson's lobby cards and Bartram's... luck? 

• Haha 1

1780 Gubernatorial Elections

Connecticut 
@Cal Governor Benedict Arnold absolutely decimates BlooLibCPU in a rematch Thomas Chittenden 10-3.
HHCal: 100 points.

Governor Arnold gains +1 Governing. Our first 5 star Governor! Would gain Controversial and Unlikable, but luckily (sorta) he already has both.

Transportation.

Delaware
@CalGovernor George Read wins with relatively little opposition, 7-0.

Governor Read gains nothing. Military. 

Georgia
@Cal Governor William Cushing prevails over BlooTradCPU former Continental Congressman Edward Telfair in a good showing, 7-4. 
Cal: 100 points.

Governor Cushing gets +1 Admin. Justice. 

Massachusetts
RedModCPU Governor Richard Adams Jr absolutely decimates @Rezi Samuel Adams 8-1. 
RedModCPU: 100 points.

Governor Adams Jr gains +1 Command. Housing. 

Maryland
 RedLibCPU Governor William Smallwood (hehehe...) defeats @Rezi Robert Bowie 9-2. 
RedLibCPU: 100 points. 

RedLibCPU William Smallwood gains +1 Governing. Healthcare. 

North Carolina
RedLibCPU Former Governor Samuel Johnston defeats BlooLibCPU Governor Cornelius Harnett in a close rematch, 5-4. 
BlooLibCPU: -500 points.

Governor Johnston gains nothing. Foreign Affairs. 

New Hampshire
RedConCPU Governor John Sullivan wins a comfortable matchup against BlooModCPU Meshech Weare, 9-3. 
RedConCPU: 100 points.

Governor Sullivan gains +1 Governing. Justice. 

New Jersey
RedModCPU Governor Richard Stockton wins a comfortable rematch against BlooLibCPU John Hart, 9-1. 
RedModCPU: 100 points.

Governor Stockton gains +1 Admin. Science. 

New York
@Cal Governor James Duane prevails over BlooConCPU Abraham Yates Jr handily, 7-3.

Governor Duane gains +1 Admin. Naval. 

Pennsylvania
RedLibCPU Governor William Moore defeats BlooConCPU Former Governor John Dickinson in a rematch, 7-4.
BlooConCPU: -500 points.

Governor Moore gains nothing. Agriculture. 

Rhode Island
RedConCPU Thomas Tillinghast defeats @Rezi Governor Arthur Fenner handily, 7-2.
RedConCPU: 100 points. 

Gains nothing. Housing. 

South Carolina
@Cal Governor Henry Laurens prevails over BlooLibCPU Christopher Gadsden in a close election, 6-4. 

Governor Laurens gains nothing. Agriculture. 

Virginia
RedProgCPU Governor George Wythe prevails over BlooConCPU Patrick Henry, 6-4.
RedProgCPU: 100 points.

Governor Wythe gains +1 Governing, Unlikable. Naval. 

Final tally: 13 Red, 0 Bloo. 

Party Preference being now at +3 Red killed the Bloos. However, the Reds are probably about to spiral out of favorability, so watch out. 

THE RED PARTY TAKES THE HOUSE 125-4! SURFS UP, AMERICA, ITS TIME TO RIDE THE RED WAVE!

CT-1: @Cal Former CC President Samuel Huntington is unopposed. 
CT-2: @Cal Jonathan Trumbull Jr is unopposed. 

DE-1: @Cal Gunning Bedford Sr is unopposed. 

GA-1: @Cal George Mathews wins. 
GA-2: RedProgCPU Lyman Hall wins. 

MA-1: RedModCPU John Adams wins. 
MA-2: RedModCPU Nathaniel Gorham wins. 
MA-3: RedProgCPU Joseph Warren wins. 
MA-4: RedProgCPU Theophilus Parsons wins. 

MD-1: RedLibCPU Upton Sheredine wins.
MD-2: RedLibCPU William Paca wins. 
MD-3: RedLibCPU Charles Carroll of Carrollton wins. 

NC-1: RedLibCPU Joseph Hewes wins. 
NC-2: RedLibCPU William Hooper wins. 

NH-1: RedProgCPU Samuel Livermore wins. 
NH-2: RedProgCPU Abiel Foster wins. 

NJ-1: @Cal Benjamin Franklin wins. 
NJ-2: RedModCPU William Livingston wins. 

NY-1: @Cal Philip Schuyler wins. 
NY-2: @Cal Isaac Roosevelt I wins. 
NY-3: @Rezi Thomas Paine wins. (The only Bloo in the entire House so far...)

PA-1: RedModCPU Joseph Reed wins. 
PA-2: RedModCPU Thomas Willing wins. 
PA-3: RedModCPU Thomas Scott wins. 
PA-4: RedModCPU Charles Wilson Peale wins. 

RI-1: RedModCPU William Bradford wins. 

SC-1: @Cal William Moultrie wins. 
SC-2: Cal Thomas Bee wins. 

VA-1: RedModCPU George Washington wins. 
VA-2: RedProgCPU Arthur Lee wins. 
VA-3: @Cal James Wood wins. 
VA-4: @Cal Henry Lee II wins. 

Welcome to 1780!

The year is 1780.

America has elected it's first president 8-9 years earlier than IRL, eschewing a military commander for a man obsessed with cool plants (and bugs, probably).

President John Bartram is now 92-years young. 

Vice President Wilson stands at an impressive 38-years old. 

The nation is approaching 1-years old, having achieved their independence on July 4th, 1779. 

We have no alliance with France, as our independence was granted to us by the very nice king. We don't even have any ambassadors. 

Our military stands sorta-ready, but our revenue is a limp noodle stuck in a crisis that cannot stiffen until the next Historical Era due to requirements to move the meter up. 

The Era of Federalism will not start until 1788, meaning that we have two full terms of pretty much nothing but hatred for the incumbent party coming ahead. 

We have no Senate, only a Mega-House. 

But, on the bright side, @Rezi has control of the ENTIRE Bloo Party's Congressional seats! 😉

Edited by Cal

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@vcczar If the revolutionary war is won early enough and the constitutional convention happens, can you have a President before 1788? 

No, I think the rules, either the event or the rules, has the Constitution go into effect the year it actually did. Just pretend that it was an agreed upon date for the transition. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

No, I think the rules, either the event or the rules, has the Constitution go into effect the year it actually did. Just pretend that it was an agreed upon date for the transition. 

Aww man, I can’t find where it says that. I’ll take another look in a bit to see if I can find it, but if not I’ll make a note on the suggested fixes and changes forum.

As the rest of this period is going to be a lame duck time anyway until 1788, I don’t see any harm in just running it as is. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that, though. The only real difference is going to be that we’ll be running a House of Representative with elections instead of a Continental Congress with appointed delegates. (Read: I’ve already done the work to process the elections and don’t want to undo it for what’ll amount to little impact at this point)

Then when 1788 rolls around we’ll just go from a lousy lame duck House to a Power-House 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Aww man, I can’t find where it says that. I’ll take another look in a bit to see if I can find it, but if not I’ll make a note on the suggested fixes and changes forum.

As the rest of this period is going to be a lame duck time anyway until 1788, I don’t see any harm in just running it as is. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that, though. The only real difference is going to be that we’ll be running a House of Representative with elections instead of a Continental Congress with appointed delegates. (Read: I’ve already done the work to process the elections and don’t want to undo it for what’ll amount to little impact at this point)

Then when 1788 rolls around we’ll just go from a lousy lame duck House to a Power-House 😉 

the only problem with that is there's no seat biases for 1780-88

7 hours ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

the only problem with that is there's no seat biases for 1780-88

Where are you finding default seat biases?? It’s blank on the HistoricalEra tab so I thought we just generated em all according to the rules for new seats… (this is embarrassing)