The Political Lounge

Wilson's Vision - 1916 Playtest

Hull is taking bipartisanship a little too far with the rest of his naval appointments (it just worked out that way). Young stays in the Generals.

William Sims- vols

William L Rodgers-vols

Edward W Eberle-vols

Charles F Hughes-tyler

Thomas S Rodgers-tyler

Edited by pman

1 hour ago, pman said:

Hull is taking bipartisanship a little too far with the rest of his naval appointments (it just worked out that way). Young stays in the Generals.

William Sims- vols

William L Rodgers-vols

Edward W Eberle-vols

Charles F Hughes-tyler

Thomas S Rodgers-tyler

Eberle is 0cc

100pts to Vols and Tyler, 50pts to 0cc

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

Though I'd double based react if he actually managed to convert to LW Pop instead of get flip-flopper 🤣

Major branch of my family won't arrive in this country until mid-terms.

Actually wait, hol' up, I mis-remembered, they're here as of LAST midterms, I can legally vote in this playtest 😛

1 hour ago, Willthescout7 said:

I'm deeply touched

In reality, appointing Young in 1916 would have been a huge deal. If this actually happened Hull's own party would have thrown a fit and President Wilson probably would have fired Hull. But this is a game and I choose to imagine Hull as a visionary patriot who sees unity of all kinds as key to America emerging as a great power (not too far off from the person I understand Hull to be irl) and Wilson as a more progressive character than he was (which he most certainty was not irl).

Edited by pman

2.4 - Random Events

2.4.1 -  Random Deaths and Retirements

BradleyG

• John A Moon from the BradleyG faction is dead at 61. Cause of death: Dysentery
  • Senator Francis Newlands from the BradleyG has retired. Reason: To become a lobbyist - cannot run for re-election

ShortKing

• Joseph Rucker Lamar from the ShortKing faction is dead at 59. Cause of death: Tuberculosis
  • William C Houston from the ShortKing has retired. Reason: Disillusioned with politics
  • Andrew Jackson Houston from the ShortKing has retired. Reason: Allegedly pressured out

Pman

• William A Jones from the Pman faction is dead at 67. Cause of death: Unknown
  • John R McLean from the Pman has retired. Reason: Satisfied with the work they've done and want to consider other things
  • Charles A Thurston from the Pman has retired. Reason: University president

Murrman

• Senator John W Smith from the Murrman faction is dead at 71. Cause of death: Pneumonia - @0ccultist to appoint a replacement MD Senator
  • Wilfrid Laurier from the Murrman has retired. Reason: To allow a new generation to enter national politics
  • Harry Lane from the Murrman has retired. Reason: To allow a new generation to enter national politics

0ccult

• Senator Charles S Thomas from the 0ccult faction is dead at 67. Cause of death: Unknown - 0ccult to appoint a new CO Senator
  • Robert Broadnax Glenn from the 0ccult has retired. Reason: To allow a new generation to enter national politics
  • Walter Hines Page from the 0ccult has retired. Reason: University president

Lars

• John M Haines from the Lars faction is dead at 53. Cause of death: Pneumonia
  • Representative Frederick H Gillett from the Lars has retired. Reason: Satisfied with the work they've done and want to consider other things - cannot run for re-election
  • James Withycombe from the Lars has retired. Reason: Disillusioned with politics

Vols

• Hempstead Washburn from the Vols faction is dead at 65. Cause of death: Diphtheria
  • Willliam T Haines from the Vols has retired. Reason: To allow a new generation to enter national politics
  • Nathan Goff Jr from the Vols has retired. Reason: To allow a new generation to enter national politics

Tyler

• Associate Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr from the Tyler faction is dead at 75. Cause of death: Heart attack - replacement to be appointed later
  • Richard W Parker from the Tyler has retired. Reason: Satisfied with the work they've done and want to consider other things
  • Gustav Kustermann from the Tyler has retired. Reason: Family reasons

Will

• Alfred A Taylor from the Will faction is dead at 68. Cause of death: Diabetes
  • James O Davidson from the Will has retired. Reason: To become a lobbyist
  • Thomas F Marshall from the Will has retired. Reason: Disillusioned with politics

OrangeP

• Rep. Andrew Volstead from the OrangeP faction is dead at 56. Cause of death: Dysentery - @Willthescout7 to appoint a new Representative
  • Thomas S Butler from the OrangeP has retired. Reason: To become a lobbyist
Edited by Arkansas Progressive
Retirements fixed

We appoint William Jennings Bryan if the gentleman from Nebraska is willing to accept the position because he represents the best chance of maintaining our majority status and gives us a chance to double dip with the cabinet. If he refuses we have a backup.  

2.4 - Random Events

2.4.2 -  General Events

Abilities increase

• I had the same thought as you did. I completely forgot ____ even existed. Now __ got the makings of a true powerplayer. 
  • @OrangeP47's Florence Prag Kahn gains +1 in every ability

Party Switch

• President, over the course of the year we've lost ______, ________, ______, and _____ to the opposing party. We've now been informed that _____ will also be joining the other party. This isn't looking good. We need to excite our party again.
  • Moderates and Conservatives are in the worst spots for Blue Party.
  • Felix Frankfurter, J Franklin Bell, Robert Coontz, Theodore Brantly, and Carroll T Bond all join @OrangeP47

A series of Coal Mine Disasters

• The number of coal mine disasters are happening so frequently this year that more and more labor activists are protesting outside of the White House than usual. 
  • 25% chance of Quality of life -1
  • Rolled 81, did not occur.

Labor Strike

• A major labor strike has erupted in violence as protesting workers, their allies, pro-busineses forces, and police clash. 
  • President can send the national guard to quell the strike at 50% chance - party pref or ignore for 100% - domestic stability
  • @0ccultist your move

2.4 - Random Events

2.4.3 -  Scripted Events

• Tomb of King Tut Discovered
    • British archeologist Howard Carter has discovered the tomb of King Tutenkhamen. Unlike most discoveries, this one seems to have avoided graverobbers, allowing a full display of the splendors of Ancient Egypt.
  • Tallulah Bankhead Becomes Movie Star
    • Tallulah Bankhead, daughter of Alabama politician William Bankhead, is considered one of the leading actresses today.
    • Tallulah Bankhead gains celebrity; Tallulah Bankhead is retired from the game
  • Scopes Trial
    • A high-profile court case is in session, but it garnering some controversy. A high school teacher in Tennessee is accused of teaching evolution, which is illegal to teach in state-funded schools in Tennessee. Many believe the court case is a farce to bring national attention to the debate over whether or not evolution has a place in Christianity. For one, the teacher, Mr. Scopes, doesn't remember if he ever taught evolution but appears to have deliberately incriminated himself anyway.
    • @0ccultist Gov Thomas C Rye and Senators Kenneth McKellar and @ShortKing John K Shields gain 50 pts, Theocrats gain 50 pts, Law & Order and Science lose 50 pts
      • 0ccultist +100
      • BradleyG +50 -50
      • ShortKing +50 -50
  • Penicillin
    • Scottish-physician Alexander Fleming discovers penicilin, which may be the strongest antibiotic substance to date
    • Big Healthcare and Big Pharma gain 50pts, but no one has those lobbies
    • 25% +1 to Quality of Life. Rolled 87! Quality of Life increases!
  • Half of Americans now live in urban areas
    • Statisticians find that half of Americans now live in urban areas
    • Govs of NY, PA, MA, MI, IN, OH, MD, CT, MN, IL, LA, GA, SC, CA, MO, WI, DE gain 50pts
      • 0ccult +100
      • Lars +150
      • Pman +50
      • ShortKing +100 (no LA Gov)
      • Vols +150
      • Will +250
    • @0ccultist MD Gov Emerson Harrington and @Lars PA Gov Martin Brumbaugh gains +1 in the Next election.
    • Labor Unions gained 50pts
      • Murrman +50
      • OrangeP +50
    • Big Agri loses 50pts
      • Murrman -50
      • OrangeP -50
  • Golden Era of Hollywood
    • Hollywood movies are frequently being references as the leading American art form. Hollywood actors, films, and directors are becoming household names internationally.
    • @Willthescout7 CA Governor William Stephens and @OrangeP47 CA Senators Hiram Johnson and John Shafroth gain 50pts
    • Murrman and 0ccult gain 50pts for LW Media
  • Columbia Pictures and MGM Studios are Formed
    • Columbia Pictures and MGM Studio have open recently in Hollywood, aiming to produce the greatest motion pictures to date.
    • @Willthescout7 CA Governor William Stephens and @OrangeP47 CA Senators Hiram Johnson and John Shafroth gain 50pts
  • The Red Baron
    • A World War German airforce ace known as "The Red Baron" is becoming the terror of the skies. Who knew that that invention of the Wright Brothers would find a place in war?

TOTAL POINTS

• 0cc: +100 +100 +50 = 250
  • Lars +150
  • BradleyG +50 -50 = 0
  • ShortKing +50 -50 +100 = 100
  • Pman +50
  • Vols +150
  • Will +250 +50 +50 = 350
  • Murrman +50 -50 +50 = 50
  • OrangeP +50 -50 +100 +100 = 200

I will be appointing @OrangeP47Knud Wefald to the MN Senate seat vacated by Frank Kellogg.

I will also be appointing August Andresen to the House. 

I'm just having August Andresen fill the old Rep's spot on the economic committee for ease of access for us all, same thing with Wefald in the Senate.

Edited by Willthescout7