The Political Lounge

Era of Ideologies: Playtest from 1928

10centjimmy

Just now, ebrk85 said:

Feels odd that a faction has RW Pop/Trad AND LW Pop.

Which of course isn't allowed when in the determining cards section.

I actually just flagged that it won't happen -- not because of the RW Pop/Trad but because Tallmadge is a puritan and thus can't accept other people's cards.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

As we await the card from @jnewt for Blue Factions, @matthewyoung123 can begin the process of setting appointments for President Hoover's cabinet! Please see the rules under  2.3.1 Presidential Appointments to select your cabinet appointments. If we can have the card and nominees by tomorrow, 9pm Eastern, that would be great!

So aren't there already some cabinet members in place? I know Stimsom is already listed as Sec of State.

11 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

Party Leader Results!

@jnewt Huey Long

5 + 5 +3 + 4  = 17

@MrPotatoTed Joseph T Robinson

6 + 2 + 7 = 15

Governor Huey P Long is elected Democratic Party leader! 

Long gains 1 command (now has 5!) 

LW Pop moves +2 Blue (now at Blue +1)

Long has leadership and rolled 5/25 so avoids the enthusiasm drops. Long also has charisma so party preference moves +1 Blue (now at Red +1). Long has unlikable but rolls 86/25 so avoids the party preference shift. As ironfist, Party Leader Long can choose to share a card with fellow Blue Factions, action to @jnewtfor that card!

@jnewt gains 100

@matthewyoung123 President Herbert Hoover is Republican Party Leader!

Hoover sees Cons move +2 Red (already at max +3 Red!)

Hoover has leadership but rolls 63/25 and sees LW Pops, Progs, Liberals and RW pops move +1 Blue (Blue +2, Blue +1, No Bonus-leans Blue, No Bonus-leans Blue, respectively)

Hoover has uncharismatic so party preference moves +1 Blue (Now at no preference-leans Red).

@matthewyoung123 gains 100

Nice rolls for Long and crappy ones for Hoover...ugh

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

As we await the card from @jnewt for Blue Factions, @matthewyoung123 can begin the process of setting appointments for President Hoover's cabinet! Please see the rules under  2.3.1 Presidential Appointments to select your cabinet appointments. If we can have the card and nominees by tomorrow, 9pm Eastern, that would be great!

Political Appointments-

Federal Reserve Chair- George M Humphrey of OH, Conservative, RedRW faction.  Has 4 Admin, Business & Economics. 

Ambassador to Spain- Hubert Work of CO, Moderate, lm1145 faction.  Has 3 Admin, Business.

Ambassador to Germany- Charles Evans Hughes of NY, Moderate, Ebrk faction.  Has 3 Admin, Foreign Affairs.

Ambassador to Russia- Frank H Hitchcock of MA, Moderate, matthew faction.  Has 3 Admin, Business & Trade.

Ambassador to China- Henry A Wallace of IA, Progressive, ShortKing faction.  Has 4 Admin, Business & Trade.

Ambassador to Japan- Josephus Daniels of NC, RW Pop Democrat, Largo faction.  Has 4 Admin, Business & Foreign Affairs.

Military Appointments-

Army Chief of Staff- Douglas MacArthur

Chief of Naval Operations- William D Leahy

General 1- Dwight D Eisenhower (will need to be pulled off the 16 year military track)

General 2- Omar Bradley

General 3- George S Patton

General 4- Smedley Butler

General 5- Matthew Ridgway

General 6- Walter Bedell Smith

Admiral 1- William Halsey

Admiral 2- Chester Nimitz

Admiral 3- Ernest King

Admiral 4- Slew McCain

Admiral 5- Arthur Radford

Admiral 6- Jocko Clark

Edited by matthewyoung123
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @matthewyoung123

Before we move to committee votes/confirmation, I wanted to flag for @MrPotatoTed and @vcczarand 1928 play testers that for the 1928 start date, every cabinet office but those listed above have sitting officers in place. Rather than have President Hoover replace them, we're going to let them stay as first term officials without gaining additional traits or rolling for meters. (They will have to advise by appointment phase rules in the 1930 term) I'm doing this since a CPU priority for inaugural draft is sitting elected officials and cabinet officials, and changing them out immediately seemed a little odd. Was this dramatic change over intended or like the President/VP are they supposed to be in place for the starting term?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Thanks @matthewyoung123

Before we move to committee votes/confirmation, I wanted to flag for @MrPotatoTed and @vcczarand 1928 play testers that for the 1928 start date, every cabinet office but those listed above have sitting officers in place. Rather than have President Hoover replace them, we're going to let them stay as first term officials without gaining additional traits or rolling for meters. (They will have to advise by appointment phase rules in the 1930 term) I'm doing this since a CPU priority for inaugural draft is sitting elected officials and cabinet officials, and changing them out immediately seemed a little odd. Was this dramatic change over intended or like the President/VP are they supposed to be in place for the starting term?

To be honest, I don't know that we've ever landed on a solid answer here.  Some playtests begin with a Presidential election.  Others start with the President in place but needing to name his cabinet.  And then there's this playtest in which the President is already in place and his historical cabinet is already confirmed.

There's certainly strengths and weaknesses to any of these starting points, but I'm not sure we've landed on a definitive decision on which one should be in the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Action to @matthewyoung123 for a new Japanese ambassador and general to replace patton

Ambassador to Japan- Robert Lansing of NY, Conservative 5 Admin.  Blue Right.  Business & Foreign Affairs expertise.

To replace Patton (sad face), I nominate Stanley Forman Reed in the 6 spot.  WIll move Bedell Smith to #5 General spot and Matthew Ridgeway to #3 General spot.

Edited by matthewyoung123

49 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Ambassador to Japan- Robert Lansing of NY, Conservative 5 Admin.  Blue Right.  Business & Foreign Affairs expertise.

To replace Patton (sad face), I nominate Stanley Forman Reed in the 6 spot.  WIll move Bedell Smith to #5 General spot and Matthew Ridgeway to #3 General spot.

Lansing accepts. @Umbrella are you OK with this?

Also, not 100% sure but I don't think the positioning of Generals and admirals matters

• Agree 2