Era of Ideologies: Playtest from 1928

10centjimmy

2 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

Ok to the Senate Foreign Affairs committee:

Wallace 
MacArthur
Butler

@matthewyoung123 @Largo833 @jnewt@lm1145 @Umbrella@MrPotatoTed @ShortKing

Please vote to confirm/ send to full Senate.  All other appointees are automatically confirmed. 

Nay to Wallace.  Blue team has been cut out almost entirely from President Hoover's administration and we request that this be rectified with a blue appointment to China.

Nay to MacArthur, when we all know Omar Bradley is the better man for the job.

Aye to Butler, he's a good egg. 

Just out of curiosity, this was the first part of the rules that was a bit confusing to me.  Were the candidates auto approved because they had enough votes that were out of the players control?  For example, a non-controversial moderate would be auto confirmed because of the rule 2 ideology away rule, right?

Edited by Umbrella

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Nay to Wallace.  Blue team has been cut out almost entirely from President Hoover's administration and we request that this be rectified with a blue appointment to China.

Nay to MacArthur, when we all know Omar Bradley is the better man for the job.

Aye to Butler, he's a good egg. 

The Ambassador to Japan is a Blue.  It was offered to a player, but was rejected.

MacArthur was the only person that could be appointed as Sr General, because according to the rules, the Sr General has to be promoted from the ranks of Generals...and he was the only General listed...

2 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

Just out of curiosity, this was the first part of the rules that was a bit confusing to me.  Were the candidates auto approved because they had enough votes that were out of the players control?  For example, a non-controversial moderate would be auto confirmed because of the rule 2 ideology away rule, right?

Usually, it's a combination of high Admin and no "Controversial" trait.  I think the 3 here all have the controversial trait and therefore have to be approved by committees and Congress.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

The Ambassador to Japan is a Blue.  It was offered to a player, but was rejected.

MacArthur was the only person that could be appointed as Sr General, because according to the rules, the Sr General has to be promoted from the ranks of Generals...and he was the only General listed...

I know, but Japan is the only blue.  We want a Democrat as Ambassador to China -- we understand one declined, but there's many more to choose from! ;c)

They don't "have" to be promoted from General, though it is definitely recommended to avoid penalties.  That said, Omar Bradley is a General now so he could be promoted instead of Douglas.

Edited by MrPotatoTed

13 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

Basically, all nominees are automatically confirmed unless...

1)  It's a Secretary of State, Secretary of Treasury, Attorney General, or Secretary of Defense.  (This was a compromise between those who wanted a vote on every single position and those who felt it was too tedious and/or resulted in way too many nomination defeats.)

2)  They're controversial.

3)  They have less than a 3 in their relevant skill (admin or military) UNLESS they have integrity. 

The one caveat:  A Senate Majority Leader with iron fist can call for a confirmation vote on any position for any reason.  

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

Basically, all nominees are automatically confirmed unless...

1)  It's a Secretary of State, Secretary of Treasury, Attorney General, or Secretary of Defense.  (This was a compromise between those who wanted a vote on every single position and those who felt it was too tedious and/or resulted in way too many nomination defeats.

2)  They're controversial.

3)  They have at less than a 3 in their relevant skill (admin or military) UNLESS they have integrity. 

The one caveat:  A Senate Majority Leader with iron fist can call for a confirmation vote on any position for any reason.  

One of Thune's more inglorious moments. 

• Haha 1

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

@10centjimmy Heads up, we're showing an odd number of Senators in the main tab.  It should always be even of course, which means something is wrong somewhere.  Not sure if we have too many Senators or not enough.

Yeah, there are 3 senate spots that are empty.  I'm not sure why, or when they should be filled.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

Yeah, there are 3 senate spots that are empty.  I'm not sure why, or when they should be filled.

I saw this the other day when doing Senator assignments.  We are three short- PA, MO, and maybe IL.  I asked @10centjimmywhat he wanted to do and he thought we should wait until the election to get those back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

I saw this the other day when doing Senator assignments.  We are three short- PA, MO, and maybe IL.  I asked @10centjimmywhat he wanted to do and he thought we should wait until the election to get those back.

Who are the missing Senators in real life?  Are they missing from our statesmen sheets?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

I just looked on wiki, and the IL and PA seats were indeed vacant in 1928.  The MO seat looks like it should be Harry B Hawes.  

Can you find him in someone's faction? If he's supposed to be around, I'm happy to include him. But I'm still going to leave the vacancies for the other 2.