The Political Lounge

1868: The Gilded Age Playtest

Just now, pman said:

Can we just do the same votes as before to move it through faster?

If I get agreement on this i do not mind.  I still would have to do all the moves in the background and so on but hey I want to get to that war soon or operation 

3 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

@themiddlepolitical, @dkh64, @Bloot911, @EYates, @Imperator Taco Cat, @Umbrella, @Joe303300, @pman and @Blockmon

Senate Voting: 42 votes needed to pass 

HR 1: Create National Healthcare for disabled military veterans AND retire outdated weaponry, tactics, training, and military technology, and military officers  AYE

HR 2: Restrict residency to those of good moral character  AYE

HR 3: Ban Child Labor in industries with high injury rate.  AYE

HR 4: Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement.  NAY

HR 5: Allow Naturalization for those of African descent.  AYE

SR 1: Washington Statehood.  AYE

SR 2: Establish a national banking system to print national paper currency and war bonds to deal with emergencies.  AYE

SR 3: Ban Criminals from immigrating  NAY

SR 4: Create President’s Day as a federal holiday AND Create Land Grants to build a new public college in each state AND Force former plantation owners to buy back their confiscated plantation AYE

Would like this by 7PM CST Thursday night. 

Votes above

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bushwa777 said:

@themiddlepolitical, @dkh64, @Bloot911, @EYates, @Imperator Taco Cat, @Umbrella, @Joe303300, @pman and @Blockmon

HR 1: Create National Healthcare for disabled military veterans AND retire outdated weaponry, tactics, training, and military technology, and military officers  Yes (let’s crash the economy together)

HR 2: Restrict residency to those of good moral character  yes (all people with good moral character vote Democrat)

HR 3: Ban Child Labor in industries with high injury rate.  No (all work is dangerous including standing up here and voting no so why should we keep children out of harms way, they just need to learn)

HR 4: Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement.  Yes (it is our destiny to control all of America)

HR 5: Allow Naturalization for those of African descent.  No

SR 1: Washington Statehood.  No (we already have so many stupid states and we couldn’t get rid of North Dakota so no more for you)

SR 2: Establish a national banking system to print national paper currency and war bonds to deal with emergencies.  No (people will lose paper currency and paper is worth nothing anyway)

SR 3: Ban Criminals from immigrating  yes (we are not a nation of crooks)

SR 4: Create President’s Day as a federal holiday AND Create Land Grants to build a new public college in each state AND Force former plantation owners to buy back their confiscated plantation No (stop being so liberal and making big stupid bills)

• Thanks 1
  • Based 1

2 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

If I get agreement on this i do not mind.  I still would have to do all the moves in the background and so on but hey I want to get to that war soon or operation 

I am good with it- I don't think anyone is changing their mind on anything. Regardless, both of my factions are a yes on everything

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pman said:

Obviously we all want women's suffrage early but the game's penalty is simply too serve. If we passed it, party preference would have gone done to +1 Red and we might have lost Congress.

President Whatshisname sounding a lot like Grant. Obviously we're all for progress, so long as it gets votes...The Democrats are once again awed by the courage, the leadership...

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

AYE HR 1: Create National Healthcare for disabled military veterans AND retire outdated weaponry, tactics, training, and military technology, and military officers  

AYE HR 2: Restrict residency to those of good moral character  

AYE HR 3: Ban Child Labor in industries with high injury rate.  

AYE HR 4: Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement.  

NAY HR 5: Allow Naturalization for those of African descent.  

NAY SR 1: Washington Statehood.  

NAY SR 2: Establish a national banking system to print national paper currency and war bonds to deal with emergencies.  

AYE SR 3: Ban Criminals from immigrating  

NAY SR 4: Create President’s Day as a federal holiday AND Create Land Grants to build a new public college in each state AND Force former plantation owners to buy back their confiscated plantation

Senate votes. I'll be on vacay until 7 June but should be able to log-in every now and then. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dkh64 said:

Senate votes. I'll be on vacay until 7 June but should be able to log-in every now and then. 

I can play you as needed.  Go ahead and put your peeps in that are incumbents for gov and rep election so you have a chance at least 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bushwa777 said:

HR 1: Create National Healthcare for disabled military veterans AND retire outdated weaponry, tactics, training, and military technology, and military officers  

HR 2: Restrict residency to those of good moral character  

HR 3: Ban Child Labor in industries with high injury rate.  

HR 4: Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement.  

HR 5: Allow Naturalization for those of African descent.  

SR 1: Washington Statehood.  

SR 2: Establish a national banking system to print national paper currency and war bonds to deal with emergencies.  

SR 3: Ban Criminals from immigrating  

SR 4: Create President’s Day as a federal holiday AND Create Land Grants to build a new public college in each state AND Force former plantation owners to buy back their confiscated plantation

Aye on all.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, dkh64 said:

President Whatshisname sounding a lot like Grant. Obviously we're all for progress, so long as it gets votes...The Democrats are once again awed by the courage, the leadership...

I'll say it once again- this era is way more friendly to blue than any of you want to acknowledge. Just look to the last election to see what I am talking about. If we lose focus or ignore the meters, you guys will have control of multiple branches of government in no time. 

• Based 1

1 hour ago, Bushwa777 said:

HR 1: Create National Healthcare for disabled military veterans AND retire outdated weaponry, tactics, training, and military technology, and military officers  AYE

HR 2: Restrict residency to those of good moral character  NAY

HR 3: Ban Child Labor in industries with high injury rate.  AYE

HR 4: Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement.  NAY

HR 5: Allow Naturalization for those of African descent.  AYE

SR 1: Washington Statehood.  AYW

SR 2: Establish a national banking system to print national paper currency and war bonds to deal with emergencies.  AYE

SR 3: Ban Criminals from immigrating  NAY

SR 4: Create President’s Day as a federal holiday AND Create Land Grants to build a new public college in each state AND Force former plantation owners to buy back their confiscated plantation AYE

• Thanks 1

Current standing of bills in front of US Senate: 

HR 1: Create National Healthcare for disabled military veterans AND retire outdated weaponry, tactics, training, and military technology, and military officers 74-9 PASS

HR 2: Restrict residency to those of good moral character 70-13 PASS

HR 3: Ban Child Labor in industries with high injury rate. 65-18 PASS

HR 4: Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement. 47-36 PASS

HR 5: Allow Naturalization for those of African descent. 67-16 PASS

SR 1: Washington Statehood. 67-16 PASS

SR 2: Establish a national banking system to print national paper currency and war bonds to deal with emergencies. 66-17 PASS

SR 3: Ban Criminals from immigrating 47-36 PASS

SR 4: Create President’s Day as a federal holiday AND Create Land Grants to build a new public college in each state AND Force former plantation owners to buy back their confiscated plantations. 66-17 PASS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senator Samuel C. Pomeroy @Joe303300 do you wish to filibuster one of bills above to keep it from going to president's desk?

Senator Charles Sumner @Joe303300 do you wish to filibuster one of the bills above to keep it from going to president's desk?

President Pro Temp Charles Drake @Umbrella do you wish to filibuster one of the bills above to keep it from going to president's desk?

Senator John P. Hale @Umbrella do you wish to filibuster one of bills above to keep it from president's desk?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senator John J. Ingalls @Umbrella you may try to convert 3 US Senators with orator. If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. OR you can try to convert 1 US Senator with debate.  

Senator Charles Sumner @Joe303300 you may try to convert 3 US Senators with orator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. OR you can try to convert 1 US Senator with debate.

Senator Peter Bishop @Joe303300 you may try to convert 3 US Senators with orator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which ones so I can roll for this and which law

Senator Matthew Carpenter @Blockmon you may try to convert 3 US Senators with orator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which ones so I can roll for this and which law

Senator Carl Schulz @Joe303300 you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law.

Senator Thomas Brackett Reed @pmanmod, you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator. If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. 

Senator John A. Logan @Bloot911 you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. 

Senator Joseph G. Cannon @pman you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. 

Senator Orris Ferry @Umbrella you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. 

IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE DEBATE OR ORATOR PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH LAW AND WHO YOU ARE TRYING TO CONVERT.  ALSO LOOK AT HOW THEY VOTED BECAUSE IF YOU ARE TRYING TO CONVERT A AYE WITH A AYE IT IS NOT WORTH IT.  

Would like all of this by 9 AM CST Friday morning. 

Edited by Bushwa777
crossed out Open Indian Territory to White Settlement since it has been filibustered

7 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Current standing of bills in front of US Senate: 

HR 1: Create National Healthcare for disabled military veterans AND retire outdated weaponry, tactics, training, and military technology, and military officers 74-9 PASS

HR 2: Restrict residency to those of good moral character 70-13 PASS

HR 3: Ban Child Labor in industries with high injury rate. 65-18 PASS

HR 4: Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement. 47-36 PASS

HR 5: Allow Naturalization for those of African descent. 67-16 PASS

SR 1: Washington Statehood. 67-16 PASS

SR 2: Establish a national banking system to print national paper currency and war bonds to deal with emergencies. 66-17 PASS

SR 3: Ban Criminals from immigrating 47-36 PASS

SR 4: Create President’s Day as a federal holiday AND Create Land Grants to build a new public college in each state AND Force former plantation owners to buy back their confiscated plantations. 66-17 PASS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senator Samuel C. Pomeroy @Joe303300 do you wish to filibuster one of bills above to keep it from going to president's desk?

Senator Charles Sumner @Joe303300 do you wish to filibuster one of the bills above to keep it from going to president's desk?

President Pro Temp Charles Drake @Umbrella do you wish to filibuster one of the bills above to keep it from going to president's desk?

Senator John P. Hale @Umbrella do you wish to filibuster one of bills above to keep it from president's desk?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senator John J. Ingalls @Umbrella you may try to convert 3 US Senators with orator. If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. OR you can try to convert 1 US Senator with debate.  

Senator Charles Sumner @Joe303300 you may try to convert 3 US Senators with orator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. OR you can try to convert 1 US Senator with debate.

Senator Peter Bishop @Joe303300 you may try to convert 3 US Senators with orator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which ones so I can roll for this and which law

Senator Matthew Carpenter @Blockmon you may try to convert 3 US Senators with orator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which ones so I can roll for this and which law

Senator Carl Schulz @Joe303300 you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law.

Senator Thomas Brackett Reed @pmanmod, you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator. If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. 

Senator John A. Logan @Bloot911 you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. 

Senator Joseph G. Cannon @pman you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. 

Senator Orris Ferry @Umbrella you may use debate to try to convert 1 US Senator.  If you wish to do this please let me know which one so I can roll for this and which law. 

IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE DEBATE OR ORATOR PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH LAW AND WHO YOU ARE TRYING TO CONVERT.  ALSO LOOK AT HOW THEY VOTED BECAUSE IF YOU ARE TRYING TO CONVERT A AYE WITH A AYE IT IS NOT WORTH IT.  

Would like all of this by 9 AM CST Friday morning. 

filibuster was never a passed legi? was it? if it was @Umbrella and @Joe303300 Please do not filibuster anything, I know that Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement and Ban Criminals from immigrating aren't really supported by you, but these laws are very popular and are Con laws in this Legi proposals. I have said this before that we seek a balanced set of laws, if these laws are there Ban Child Labor in industries with high injury rate and Create National Healthcare for disabled military veterans  and Allow Naturalization for those of African descent. Then I hope you understand that these balance each other out. If filibustered then I am will be severely disappointed with this decisions.

8 minutes ago, Blockmon said:

filibuster was never a passed legi? was it? if it was @Umbrella and @Joe303300 Please do not filibuster anything, I know that Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement and Ban Criminals from immigrating aren't really supported by you, but these laws are very popular and are Con laws in this Legi proposals. I have said this before that we seek a balanced set of laws, if these laws are there Ban Child Labor in industries with high injury rate and Create National Healthcare for disabled military veterans  and Allow Naturalization for those of African descent. Then I hope you understand that these balance each other out. If filibustered then I am will be severely disappointed with this decisions.

Filbuster comes on in 1787 with constitution plus even though i agree with you it is part of game so i have to offer it

Edited by Bushwa777

Only one of my bills got through committee, so I don't see why I should reciprocate the need to support bills that significantly hurt my faction.  Charles Drake will filibuster HR4: Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement.  

I'm still deciding if Hale will filibuster, and whether or not swaying votes will have any effect.

• Based 2

7 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

Only one of my bills got through committee, so I don't see why I should reciprocate the need to support bills that significantly hurt my faction.  Charles Drake will filibuster HR4: Open Indian Territory up to White Settlement.  

I'm still deciding if Hale will filibuster, and whether or not swaying votes will have any effect.

Your other laws would have severely affected the standings of our party as a whole?? we need to keep the popular opinion with us, having only 3 lib laws and no con laws is ridiculous and I don't want intraparty fighting

31 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Filbuster comes on in 1787 with constitution plus even though i agree with you it is part of game so i have to offer it

Nope. Filibuster is not a constitutional thing. Something congress created for themselves. There is a legis bill that needs to be passed for it to be active. In our 1800 playtest one team has tried and failed to pass it twice now.

Without looking at the sheets I don't know when it historically passed and I don't have access to them now. So someone else will need to check if it's active in 1868 start already or not.

13 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Nope. Filibuster is not a constitutional thing. Something congress created for themselves. There is a legis bill that needs to be passed for it to be active. In our 1800 playtest one team has tried and failed to pass it twice now.

Without looking at the sheets I don't know when it historically passed and I don't have access to them now. So someone else will need to check if it's active in 1868 start already or not.

Checked it is a rule. Passed 1837

• Like 1

Since Filibuster's are active and it has been requested Opening Indian Territory to White Settlement is herby filibustered.  Rules say that it is held for a half term so does this mean it is brought back automatically then or must it be brought up again in a committee?  Anyone know?  @ebrk85 or @MrPotatoTed

Charles Drake does not get +1 Command.  Missed it by 3!  13/10

Edited by Bushwa777
Roll for Drake