The Political Lounge

1868: The Gilded Age Playtest

Excited to get started and happy to have those joining, both experienced and new. Still working on the spreadsheet but got a lot done and we should be ready in a day or two.  I will be sharing the doc soon through PM's.  

Each person, except for @pman who has requested to do 2 will have a faction.  However, in an effort to keep this playtest moving along at a decent pace, since there are a lot of us to wrangle up each time, I will have to strictly enforce the 24-hour rule. If the deadline has passed and I’m available to process things, then I will run your faction as CPU for that one part.  Repeated violations and we will have to look for a replacement.  If you will be unavailable for a stretch, then no worries, but, if possible, please give me a heads up or you can give one of your teammates permission to make decisions for you. I mostly will do moves in the evenings. 

Ok so first up we need to decide on factions.  I will post below each factions’ ideology and some of the current leading pols.  Let me know your preference. I'll do my best to accommodate everyone but if two really want the same faction I will roll for it.  @Willthescout7 has asked for right wing GOP or Red 5, so unless one of you want that we will give it to him.  Go ahead and post below your preference. 

Red 1: LW Populist/Progressive – Frederick Douglass, Elihu B. Washburn, Henry Wilson

Red 2: Progressive/Liberal – Carl Schurz, Benjamin Wade, Charles Sumner

Red 3: Moderate/Conservative – Ulysses S. Grant, Roscoe Conkling, Schuyler Colfax

Red 4: Moderate/Conservative –James G. Blaine, John Sherman, Simon Cameron

Red 5: Conservative/Traditionalist/RW Populist – William H. Seward, Edward Bates, Hamilton Fish

Blue 1: Liberal/Progressive/LW Populist – Salmon P. Chase, William Rosecrans, Boss Tweed

Blue 2 :Liberal/Moderate – Andrew Johnson, Simon Bolivar Buckner, Wade Hampton III

Blue 3: Moderate/Conservative – Robert M. T. Hunter, Samuel J. Tilden, Adlai Stevenson I

Blue 4: Conservative/Traditionalist – Fernando Wood, Thomas A. Hendricks, Franklin Pierce

Blue 5: Traditionalist/RW Populist – George H. Pendleton, Alexander Stephens, George B. McClellan

Edited by Bushwa777
  • Like 2

I am fine with 
1.red3 (most preferred)
2.red4
3.red2
4.blue3
5.blue4
6.blue1
7.blue2

I would prefer to keep it that way but if someone wants one of the teams I am fine with, really don't want to fight it.

Edited by Blockmon
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Excited to get started and happy to have those joining, both experienced and new. Still working on the spreadsheet but got a lot done and we should be ready in a day or two.  I will be sharing the doc soon through PM's.  

Each person, except for @pman who has requested to do 2 will have a faction.  However, in an effort to keep this playtest moving along at a decent pace, since there are a lot of us to wrangle up each time, I will have to strictly enforce the 24-hour rule. If the deadline has passed and I’m available to process things, then I will run your faction as CPU for that one part.  Repeated violations and we will have to look for a replacement.  If you will be unavailable for a stretch, then no worries, but, if possible, please give me a heads up or you can give one of your teammates permission to make decisions for you. I mostly will do moves in the evenings. 

Ok so first up we need to decide on factions.  I will post below each factions’ ideology and some of the current leading pols.  Let me know your preference. I'll do my best to accommodate everyone but if two really want the same faction I will roll for it.  @Willthescout7 has asked for right wing GOP or Red 5, so unless one of you want that we will give it to him.  Go ahead and post below your preference. 

Red 1: LW Populist/Progressive – Frederick Douglass, Elihu B. Washburn, Henry Wilson

Red 3: Moderate/Conservative – Ulysses S. Grant, Roscoe Conkling, Schuyler Colfax

Red 5: Conservative/Traditionalist/RW Populist – William H. Seward, Edward Bates, Hamilton Fish

Blue 1: Liberal/Progressive/LW Populist – Salmon P. Chase, William Rosecrans, Boss Tweed

Blue 2 :Liberal/Moderate – Andrew Johnson, Simon Bolivar Buckner, Wade Hampton III

Blue 3: Moderate/Conservative – Robert M. T. Hunter, Samuel J. Tilden, Adlai Stevenson I

Blue 4: Conservative/Traditionalist – Fernando Wood, Thomas A. Hendricks, Franklin Pierce

Blue 5: Traditionalist/RW Populist – George H. Pendleton, Alexander Stephens, George B. McClellan

I'll go

1. Red 2
  2. Red 1
  3. Blue 1
  4. Blue 2

Indifferent after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bushwa777 said:

I would like to go for 

1. Blue 3
  2. Blue 4
  3. Red 4
  4. Red 5
  5. Blue 5
  6. Red 3
  7. Blue 2
  8. Red 2
  9. Blue 1
  10. Red 1

Hopefully based off of what others have put I don’t think my top pick conflicts with anyone so far.

• Like 1

Ok you all made it a bit hard but mostly got either your 1st or 2nd choice.  A couple I had to go to 3rd choice. 

Red 1 LW Populist/Progressive: @Umbrella

Red 2 – Progressive/Liberal: @DJBillyShakes

Red 3 – Moderate/Conservative: @pman

Red 4 – Moderate/Conservative: @Blockmon

Red 5 – Conservative/Traditionalist/RW Populist: @Willthescout7

Blue 1 – Liberal/Progressive/LW Populist: @Imperator Taco Cat

Blue 2 – Liberal/Moderate: @dkh64

Blue 3 – Moderate/Conservative: @Bloot911

Blue 4 – Conservative/Traditionalist: @EYates

Blue 5 – Traditionalist/RW Populist:  @pman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Ok you all made it a bit hard but mostly got either your 1st or 2nd choice.  A couple I had to go to 3rd choice. 

Red 1 LW Populist/Progressive: @Umbrella

Red 2 – Progressive/Liberal: @DJBillyShakes

Red 3 – Moderate/Conservative: @pman

Red 4 – Moderate/Conservative: @Blockmon

Red 5 – Conservative/Traditionalist/RW Populist: @Willthescout7

Blue 1 – Liberal/Progressive/LW Populist: @Imperator Taco Cat

Blue 2 – Liberal/Moderate: @dkh64

Blue 3 – Moderate/Conservative: @Bloot911

Blue 4 – Conservative/Traditionalist: @EYates

Blue 5 – Traditionalist/RW Populist:  @pman

Just wanted to point out those are the drafting ideologies not the current ideologies based off the pols in your factions. We still have to run the numbers to determine all the faction cards.

3 hours ago, Bushwa777 said:

and we should be ready in a day or two.

Also a day or two! OMG so much to do. Really putting the pressure on @Bushwa777 😛 

1 minute ago, ebrk85 said:

Just wanted to point out those are the drafting ideologies not the current ideologies based off the pols in your factions. We still have to run the numbers to determine all the faction cards.

Also a day or two! OMG so much to do. Really putting the pressure on @Bushwa777 😛 

That was a direct quote from 1948.  A few days is that better? 5 days?

• Like 1

I wanted to tell you how much I look forward to playing this playtest with you all.  I know many of you are new and I am gentle and will help and the ones who are vets will help me I am sure!  

I was just looking at the factions and am excited about seeing the future this can become.  

For instance Salmon P. Chase could chose to step down from Chief Justice and run for President. Andrew Johnson could choose to come back in 1872 and give Grant a run for his money. Or how about George McClellan could he decide to come back and run? 

Boss Tweed could end up Speaker of the House!  Garfield could end up not be assassinated!  Frederick Douglas could become the 1st African American President 150 years before Obama (I rounded up) or Robert E. Lee could be pardoned and enter the US Army again rising to become Senior General!  

The possibilities make me hungry to find out and I hope you all are excited! 

• Like 2
  • Based 2