The Political Lounge

"We must hang together, or we will surely hang separately" - A one-player rookie test run of the 1772 Campaign

14 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Action to @Willthescout7 & @Cal to update your Reps with gains off the CC Tab.  Once you do, please delete the gains off the tab so I know you've got them and we can continue.  Thanks!

Mine are updated, I just forgot to delete the gains lol. I can clear them off the sheet soon!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 11:26 PM, Largo833 said:

I'm pretty sure that Laurens and Ellsworth will still be valid choices for my factions, so I'll just preemptively state that I plan on keeping them unless I turn out to be wrong about their eligibility.

Laurens gains +1 Leg, Uncharismatic, Integrity.

Ellsworth has no gains.

1786-Random Deaths & Retirements

Retirements-

@10centjimmyJimmyMod James Smith of PA retires for a private sector job.

@Largo833LargoLW Benjamin Chew of PA retires for family reasons.  

Deaths-

@10centjimmyJimmyCon William Alexander of NY dies of malaria at 60.  George Ross of NC dies of pneumonia at 56.

WillMod Return J Meigs Sr of OH dies of smallpox at 46.

(Dice seemed to be mostly kind this round).

• Like 1

Random Events 1786-88-

We might have found the right person for a keynote speech. Richard Dobbs Spaight certainly has a way with words!  Richard Dobbs Spaight of LargoLW gains Orator. @Largo833

Did you read about Philip Barton Key's speech last night? What a disaster! This speech was somehow worse than the one he gave last week!  Philip Barton Key gains incoherent. @10centjimmy

If there's one thing I'm gathering in the papers, it's that the people just want things back to normal as well as some calmness in politics. We have an opportunity here. Let's run our guys everywhere across the country.  JimmyMod's faction gains +1 in the next election. @10centjimmy  

(GM Note- I'm not sure if this means ONE politician in his faction gets the +1 in the next election, or ALL his politicians do.  The way the event reads, it looks like ALL his politicians do.  The benefit section just says "A player with the Moderate card gets +1 in the next election, midterm or general; ignore if president is already moderate."  We had four factions with this card, and JimmyMod won that roll. Any other thoughts?  Thanks.)

1786-88 Scripted Events-

Constitutional Convention- Word is sent to the various states to send delegates to Philadelphia for the purpose of amending the Articles of Confederation. However, it's understood that many proponent of this convention will have a more revolutionary goal in mind. For better or worse, this Convention will be the death knell to our Articles of Confederation and this Congress. May we create a more perfect union.  

I believe we are now supposed to immediately go into the Convention (before the Legislative phase of the Confederation Congress).  See the rules at "3.0.10 Constitutional Convention Rules."  If any of you want to continue on to the legislative phase FIRST, then do the Convention, please post here.  If we do the convention now, then this Congress will be invalid and we would skip the legislative phase this half-term, and since we are using the Confederation Congress as a framework for the convention...it will be hard to track who is and is not a delegate.

Federalist Papers- A series of essays strongly supportive of the US Constitution and a more vigorous central government are appearing in the newspapers. They're written by three authors using pen names; however, we are quite certain of the voices of these essays. Many of the papers are ensuring that these essays drown out those that oppose the Constitution. [Historically, the three authors were Hamilton, Madison, and John Jay.]  What will the President of the Congress do?  A. Let's endorse the sagacious pro-Constitution authors of these papers or B. This is just propaganda to turn our Republic into a monarchy! Condemn the papers. @Largo833

Anti-Federalist Papers- A series of essays opposed to the US Constitution and a stronger federal government have been appearing in the newspapers under pseudonyms. We can, however, construe who some of the likely authors are based on their recent political actions and oratory. What will the President of the Congress do?  A. Let's endorse these papers. An unamended Articles of Confederation is all we need or B. Let's not bring any attention to these ramblings. We need a Constitution to build a strong government for national defense and economic growth. @Largo833

Gibbon's Decline & Fall of the Roman Empire- English Historian Edward Gibbon publishes a titanic study on the collapse of the Roman Empire. We only hope that a future historian will not have to write the same sort of book about us.

4 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Federalist Papers- A series of essays strongly supportive of the US Constitution and a more vigorous central government are appearing in the newspapers. They're written by three authors using pen names; however, we are quite certain of the voices of these essays. Many of the papers are ensuring that these essays drown out those that oppose the Constitution. [Historically, the three authors were Hamilton, Madison, and John Jay.]  What will the President of the Congress do?  A. Let's endorse the sagacious pro-Constitution authors of these papers or B. This is just propaganda to turn our Republic into a monarchy! Condemn the papers. @Largo833

Option B- This is just propaganda to turn our Republic into a monarchy!  Condemn the papers

4 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Anti-Federalist Papers- A series of essays opposed to the US Constitution and a stronger federal government have been appearing in the newspapers under pseudonyms. We can, however, construe who some of the likely authors are based on their recent political actions and oratory. What will the President of the Congress do?  A. Let's endorse these papers. An unamended Articles of Confederation is all we need or B. Let's not bring any attention to these ramblings. We need a Constitution to build a strong government for national defense and economic growth. @Largo833

Option A- Let's endorse these papers.  An unamended Articles of Confederation is all we need.

14 minutes ago, Largo833 said:

Option B- This is just propaganda to turn our Republic into a monarchy!  Condemn the papers

Option A- Let's endorse these papers.  An unamended Articles of Confederation is all we need.

Federalist Papers result- 100 pts Gains: RW Activists, Traditionalists, RW Pop, Big Agriculture; 100 pts Loss: Moderates, Wall Street, Military Industrial, Big Corporations, Reformists.

Anti-Federalist papers result- 100 pts Gain: RW Activists, Traditionalists, RW Pop, Big Agriculture; Loss: Moderates, Wall Street, Military Industrial, Big Corporations, Reformists.

2 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Federalist Papers result- 100 pts Gains: RW Activists, Traditionalists, RW Pop, Big Agriculture; 100 pts Loss: Moderates, Wall Street, Military Industrial, Big Corporations, Reformists.

Anti-Federalist papers result- 100 pts Gain: RW Activists, Traditionalists, RW Pop, Big Agriculture; Loss: Moderates, Wall Street, Military Industrial, Big Corporations, Reformists.

Funny that this fired without the Convention even taking place, so there's no Constitution to debate

OK, so next up is the Constitutional Convention.

Please REMOVE the titles of all the current Reps to the Confederation Congress because Governors have to appoint new ones based on the Convention rules which I'll post below.  Action to @Largo833, @ebrk85, @Cal, @10centjimmy, @Willthescout7.

The Constitutional Convention begins via Scripted Events and will be handled like a Continental Congress in regards to proposing and voting. However, every delegate has the option of proposing legislation marked for the Constitutional Convention until all possible proposals (see in Legis Proposal spreadsheet) are proposed or everyone has chosen to propose or abstain. The Constitutional Convention will start this way:

• Governors may opt to refrain from joining the Convention. If they opt to send delegates, they may appoint two of their own party and one of the opposing party. If inapplicable, they’ll send fewer delegates. They must have at least 1 legislative power to be a delegate to the Constitutional Convention, and they must not currently hold the President of the Congress or one of the committee chairs or one of the ambassadors. Anyone on the career track will be taken off the track and receives the bonus for the time served on the career track. Any Governor with at least 1 legis is also allowed to join. Also eligible is any incumbent military officer with “Military Leader” and “Celebrity” and 1 legis.