The Political Lounge

"We must hang together, or we will surely hang separately" - A one-player rookie test run of the 1772 Campaign

It's time to elect the President of the Constitutional Convention.  As far as I can tell, we have six candidates.  They are-

Blue-

WillRW Thomas Jefferson of VA, Traditionalist.

WillMod Richard Caswell of NC, Moderate.

EbrkLW Thomas Paine of NY, LW Populist.

Red-

CalRedRW Timothy Pickering of MA, Conservative.

John Langdon of NH, Moderate.

LargoLW Oliver Ellsworth of CT, Liberal.

We will vote by state blocks.  Since we have to narrow down the candidates, the top 2 from this round will advance to the final round (unless there is a winner of 7 states in this round).

There are 3 Reps for each state.  If you control at least 2 out of 3 Reps, you can vote for your states.  If you only control 1 of 3, then PM or Discord with the other members of the state delegation to come up with a candidate to vote for.  You may need to do some horse trading to get your candidate some support.

Edited by matthewyoung123

Now, the proposals for the Constitution can begin.

"Players will make proposals among the options going in order of who has the highest legislative power. Randomize if tied."

This means that the top 12 proposers are, in rolled order are-

1. Caesar Rodney, DE @10centjimmy

2. Roger Sherman, CT @10centjimmy

3. Timothy Pickering, MA @Cal

4. Francis Willis, GA @matthewyoung123

5. Oliver Ellsworth, CT @Largo833

6. Thomas Jefferson, VA @Willthescout7

7. Richard Stockton, NJ @10centjimmy

8. Fisher Ames, MA @Cal

9. William Maclay, PA @Willthescout7

10. John Sevier, NC @matthewyoung123

11. John Archer, MD @ebrk85

12. George Clymer, PA @Largo833

President of the convention, Governor John Langdon of NH, is ineligible to propose at the convention.

If we need more proposers than this, I'll roll for additional ones.  All the proposals that are eligible can be found in LegisProp tab.  Search for "convention".

A proposals requires ⅔ of the state’s support. Each state gets a vote, so the majority of state delegates must settle how the state votes. If a tie, then the state abstains.  (Which means 9 states must agree to any proposal).

Some legislation has multiple options, in which case an option must be decided, but only one of each option may pass. If voting is inconclusive after three votes, the CPU will vote for the historical options.

There must be an Article 1, Article 2, Article 3, Slave-State Compromise, and Amendment Process proposal that passes. All others are optional.

So, action to @10centjimmy to make the first proposal (or two if you want to do that).

49 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Governor Caswell encourages his faction to vote NO on this first proposal from Mr. Rodney.  There needs to be direct representation of the people in any national legislature.  Therefore, the faction representatives as part of the MD, NH, and RI delegations will also vote NAY inside their delegations.

Matt, don't we wait for all options on thr articles before voting? That way we can pick between them? 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

Matt, don't we wait for all options on the articles before voting? That way we can pick between them? 

It doesn't seem to say if we vote on them one at a time or we vote on them as a group.  The rules state that "some have multiple options, in which case an option must be decided, but only one of each option may pass. If voting is inconclusive after three votes, the CPU will vote for the historical options."  But they also say that "there must be an Article 1, Article 2, Article 3, Slave-State Compromise, and Amendment Process proposal that passes. All others are optional."

So, what I was doing here was...Rodney proposed an Article 1 and Sherman an Article 2.  So, we vote on Rodney's proposal, then vote on Sherman's proposal and see where we are.  If they both pass, then we move onto someone proposing an Article 3, Slave-State process, or Amendment process.  If 1 passes and 2 doesn't, then we vote again on something for Article 2.  Etc.  I'm not sure this way is any better or worse than voting as a whole document but that's the way I interpreted the rules.

Feel free to propose another course if you have strong feelings on it.  Always open to listen to other points of view!!

@Cal @10centjimmy since you have done this before.

I interpret the rules as everyone proposes their planks, in the order they were selected. Once everyone has proposed, we vote on each article. Everyone chooses an option. The bottom one eliminated if one doesn't win. After 3 votes, the CPU defaults. 

For the ones that don't have multiple options, a normal 2/3s vote.

1 minute ago, Willthescout7 said:

@Cal @10centjimmy since you have done this before.

I interpret the rules as everyone proposes their planks, in the order they were selected. Once everyone has proposed, we vote on each article. Everyone chooses an option. The bottom one eliminated if one doesn't win. After 3 votes, the CPU defaults. 

For the ones that don't have multiple options, a normal 2/3s vote.

I did it similarly. For those with multiple options that had been proposed, it was a typical vote between options. 

I think to interpret it as voting only one option 1, and then only on option 2, etc doesn't really line up with the vote default provision. For the CPU to default to the historical option, the historical option has to be included in every vote, or after 3 failed votes on different provisions we'd have to re-propose the historical option, but that's not how it's written. If the historical option is in every vote, then it follows (for me) that every option proposed for the Article is included in every vote and players/CPUs choose between those options to get to a majority. 

37 minutes ago, Cal said:

I did it similarly. For those with multiple options that had been proposed, it was a typical vote between options. 

I think to interpret it as voting only one option 1, and then only on option 2, etc doesn't really line up with the vote default provision. For the CPU to default to the historical option, the historical option has to be included in every vote, or after 3 failed votes on different provisions we'd have to re-propose the historical option, but that's not how it's written. If the historical option is in every vote, then it follows (for me) that every option proposed for the Article is included in every vote and players/CPUs choose between those options to get to a majority. 

So we should wait for all the options to be proposed before we vote on an Article?

21 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

So we should wait for all the options to be proposed before we vote on an Article?

This is how we did it with @MrPotatoTed

All the delegates had an opportunity to put forward a suggestion and then the groups were voted on in turn, and once a primary article version was settled on a final vote determined if it was chosen or if the regular constitution is picked by default

• Like 1