The Political Lounge

FINAL 2022 MIDTERM VCCZAR PROJECTION

vcczar

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Colorado really isn’t a purple state anymore. And hasn’t been for a few elections. 

Yeah, and Ganahl was a much lower tier of candidate than Crist was (though I also don't consider Crist to be a particularly good candidate), but part of the fun of this election is which incumbents did really well (Kemp, Polis, Whitmer, RDS) and which incumbents seemed to be a drag, most notably Hochul in NY. 

2 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

Yeah, and Ganahl was a much lower tier of candidate than Crist was (though I also don't consider Crist to be a particularly good candidate), but part of the fun of this election is which incumbents did really well (Kemp, Polis, Whitmer, RDS) and which incumbents seemed to be a drag, most notably Hochul in NY. 

Yeah Hochul was hurt by Cuomo though. She may have done better if he hadnt scandaled himself. Crist was a longshot. Like LePage in Maine, both already had their day. That said Crist was probably the only Dem option to be even remotely competitive. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Mastriano was complete invisible and unlikable. Saw one ad for him the entire election. Saw one a day for Oz. Saw like 20 every hour for Fetterman. Strangely, never saw a Shapiro add. 

As the only person to watch the World Series this year even *I* was getting Fetterman ads.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:

The speakership battle will be funny i think, I wonder what the betting odds are on McCarthy not getting it

The only reason I’d care one way or another that he loses is that it would make the GOP seem in further disarray. What I’d like to see is some SNAFU that results in a Democratic speaker with a GOP majority or some weird situation like that. 

5 hours ago, ShortKing said:

Imo, it was just candidate quality. A lot of primaries went to whomever Trump endorsed, and folks in the GOP just hoped larger factors would drag these folks over the finish line. This is most noticeable in Georgia where Kemp won outright fairly handily, but Walker, who Trump cleared the field for, looks headed to a runoff where he'll be the underdog. In Florida, RDS and Rubio both stomped to victory in a state that Trump carried by 3, in Ohio DeWine easily secured a second term, but Ryan was able to keep Vance in such a close race that it likely made the difference in downballot races like Chabot's seat and OH-13. Don Bacon holding on in a Biden seat while Boebert loses in a Trump+18 seat, etc. There's no way to know for certain, but it's fairly easy to imagine more mainstream candidates in some of these races could have made the difference.

Yeah, too much shmocks had been nominated and that's what you get. 100% agree. I was always concerned about candidate quality this year.

33 minutes ago, Brunell said:

Fire every Republican in Leadership. But honestly, I'm happy my party shat the bed. I'd rather have irritating, incompetent liberals then election denying lite-fascists.

You Are Goddamn Right GIFs | Tenor

• Based 1

2022 will go down as the Wave that wasn't. GOP Candidates who I think would've flipped seats had they won the nomination:

PA-GOV: Barletta

WI-GOV: Kleefisch/We should've recruited Gallagher

MI-GOV: Craig

Kansas should've been a win; RGA incompetence fucked over Schmidt.

AZ-Gov: Yee (or Brnovich, he would've won in either race)

On the Senate, this is where the "Trump Primary" (picking just straight idiots or scaring off A tier candidates lost us seats) fucked everthing up

PA-Sen: Braithwaite, Toomey, McCormick

AZ-Sen: Ducey or Brnovich

GA-Sen: Geoff Duncan/Chris Carr

NH-Sen: Christopher, and I cannot stress this enough, SUNUNU (!!!).  

I hope Ronna Romney is happy with herself. She's an incompetent idiot. You had a chance to dump trump when his Trailer Trash, y'all Qaeda supporters tried to overthrow the government and murder a sitting Vice President and House Speaker. 

Edited by Brunell
  • Based 1

6 hours ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

Imagine how Tim Ryan could have done with that funding Democrats wasted in Florida 🤷‍♂️

I think this election shows to me that winning Florida should not be part of the Democratic election strategy for a very long time. Better to focus on states like Nevada, Georgia, Ohio, or Wisconsin. Maybe the Midwest isn’t the lost cause that I thought it  was in 2020.

6 hours ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

well looks like I might have to do something I never thought I’d have to… run for office.

🇺🇸🦅 Sabolesky 2028 🇺🇸🦅!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

I think this election shows to me that winning Florida should not be part of the Democratic election strategy for a very long time. Better to focus on states like Nevada, Georgia, Ohio, or Wisconsin. Maybe the Midwest isn’t the lost cause that I thought it  was in 2020.

🇺🇸🦅 Sabolesky 2028 🇺🇸🦅!

Absolutely, except I think Ohio is more unwinnable than Florida. I’d argue winning TX is easier than OH now, at least for 2024. 

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

Absolutely, except I think Ohio is more unwinnable than Florida. I’d argue winning TX is easier than OH now, at least for 2024. 

I think it depends on what the GOP decides to do in the next few years, if they triple down on Trumpism then I would agree that Texas is more winnable than Ohio, but if they nominate someone more mainstream like Nikki Haley, then I think Democrats will have a much better chance in the rust belt than they do in Texas. Another thing to consider is that Ohio is a lot more elastic than Texas, remember that Trump didn’t do all that much worse in 2020 than he did in 2016, Biden simply consolidated more support than Clinton, likely in large part due to the lack of strong third parties.

I also categorically disagree with your assessment that Florida is more winnable than Ohio, a growing population of retirees, as well as the increasingly conservative Cuban-American vote has turned Florida into a red state.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

Once the election voting is done, I'm going to see what factors in my algorithm probably caused it to miss on the projection. Once I've done that, I'll have a 2020 and 2022 algorithm to use for the 2024 election. It will be interesting to see which algorithm wins. 

On 11/9/2022 at 3:12 PM, The Blood said:

How is someone a fake pastor, exactly? Warnock's served at multiple churches in a pastoral role. Even if you disagree with his religious views, Warnock has in fact been a recognized pastor.

If you are a false teacher (teaching things directly contrary to scripture), then you are a fake pastor. Warnock teaches things directly contrary to scripture, making him a fake pastor and heretic.

21 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

If you are a false teacher (teaching things directly contrary to scripture), then you are a fake pastor. Warnock teaches things directly contrary to scripture, making him a fake pastor and heretic.

What are these things directly contrary to scripture?

11 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

But Warnock is a real pastor. He has performed the roles and duties of a pastor, and he has been recognized as one by his denomination. You can call him a heretical pastor, if that's your religious view, but Warnock is a real pastor by the qualifications of his denomination and by the accepted definition of the word. A car salesman who swindles buyers with false information is not a fake salesman. He can be described as deceitful, or dishonest, but he is still a real salesman selling cars. In the same way, even if you think Warnock is a heretic, he is a real pastor in that he is a recognized pastor who has fulfilled the job requirements of that role.

@Cal PM me your steam name and I'll add you, since this looks settled now.  I'm thinking American Truck Sim's Texas DLC which comes out tomorrow.  Dunno what it'll be priced for sure but it'll *probably* be under 20, given Montana was 12, even though Texas is the largest DLC to date.  No rush though as even if you got it for me on release I wouldn't have time to play (or download on my crappy rural internet) for a few days.

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

@Cal PM me your steam name and I'll add you, since this looks settled now.  I'm thinking American Truck Sim's Texas DLC which comes out tomorrow.  Dunno what it'll be priced for sure but it'll *probably* be under 20, given Montana was 12, even though Texas is the largest DLC to date.  No rush though as even if you got it for me on release I wouldn't have time to play (or download on my crappy rural internet) for a few days.

Username should be caleb7perry and the display name should be Herbert Hoover. Just remind me tomorrow and I'm happy to uphold my end of the bargain! (Although I have a mock trial tomorrow, so it will likely be Wednesday when I can send it over)

On 11/14/2022 at 5:16 PM, Cal said:

Username should be caleb7perry and the display name should be Herbert Hoover. Just remind me tomorrow and I'm happy to uphold my end of the bargain! (Although I have a mock trial tomorrow, so it will likely be Wednesday when I can send it over)

So the Steam Friend system is somehow both more and less archaic than the last time I used it so just add friend code (removed due to bots)

Edited by OrangeP47

13 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

This race was so much closer than anyone expected honestly. Good on Frisch for conceding because I don't think Boebert would've been able to handle it. Whether 2024, or onward. Her days are without a doubt numbered.