The Political Lounge

Era of Ideologies: Playtest from 1928

10centjimmy

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

KINGMAKER:  Frank C Walker takes Mitchell Palmer as his protege.

CONVERSIONS:
I'll try to take @Umbrella WIlliam Gibbs McAdoo and NM Rep John E Miles.

I'm still learning the strategies of the game.  After I did ideology conversions, I realized I was putting these guys on a platter for you, and immediately regretted my decision.

That being said, KEEP AWAY FROM MY GUYS!! 🙂  

• Haha 1

Conversions-

Hoover attempts to convert Edward H Moore, OK, of Blue Right (he's Cons, Pliable, and marked for party flipping).

other attempt is

Royal Copeland, Senator from NY of Blue Right (Cons & marked for flipping though not Pliable).

Innterparty-

Attempt to convert James Eli Watson from RedRight (Cons, Pliable)

Attempt to convert Robert Taft from Red Right (Cons)

54 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

I'm still learning the strategies of the game.  After I did ideology conversions, I realized I was putting these guys on a platter for you, and immediately regretted my decision.

That being said, KEEP AWAY FROM MY GUYS!! 🙂  

Haha!  To be fair, you had no idea I'd switch my faction leader's ideology to moderate, which is what helped make them available to me.

I only had two factions to steal from, yours and BlueRight.  And your guys were way more valuable than BlueRights' were. ;c)

3 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

2.16 Politician Conversions

Party-flipping due to enthusiasm - Progs, LW Pops from Red -> Blue (255

Amb. Henry Wallace flips from @ShortKingto @jnewt

Harold L Ickes flips from @ShortKing to @jnewt

Ernest Lundeen flips from @ShortKing to @jnewt

Bernard J Gehrmann flips from @ShortKing to @jnewt

Vito Marcantonio flips from @ShortKing to @jnewt

Ouch

Opposing-Party - Party Leader Targets:

@matthewyoung123 and @jnewt can target a member of the opposite party

Same-Party - Faction Leader Targets

Action to factions @ebrk85 @ShortKing @Umbrella @MrPotatoTed @jnewt @Largo833 @matthewyoung123 @Murrman104 to try to convert pols between factions.

Kingmakers

If relevant, action to all faction to activate/deactivate kingmaker pairings.  

We can shoot for tomorrow, Tuesday evening to have these actions finalized. I'll share BlueRight and RedRight actions later today.

My leader is harmonious and passive so double no chance on conversions.

Kingmaker Fiorella La Guardia will take on Kermit Roosevelt as his protégé. 

3 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

2.16 Politician Conversions

Party-flipping due to enthusiasm - Progs, LW Pops from Red -> Blue (255

Amb. Henry Wallace flips from @ShortKingto @jnewt

Harold L Ickes flips from @ShortKing to @jnewt

Ernest Lundeen flips from @ShortKing to @jnewt

Bernard J Gehrmann flips from @ShortKing to @jnewt

Vito Marcantonio flips from @ShortKing to @jnewt

Ouch

Opposing-Party - Party Leader Targets:

@matthewyoung123 and @jnewt can target a member of the opposite party

Same-Party - Faction Leader Targets

Action to factions @ebrk85 @ShortKing @Umbrella @MrPotatoTed @jnewt @Largo833 @matthewyoung123 @Murrman104 to try to convert pols between factions.

Kingmakers

If relevant, action to all faction to activate/deactivate kingmaker pairings.  

We can shoot for tomorrow, Tuesday evening to have these actions finalized. I'll share BlueRight and RedRight actions later today.

Frank Gooding will take on Henry Dworshak

Vanderburg has Manipulative 33% chance  and Debator so an additional +10% 

Given Con Enthusiasm is high I believe both red Con factions are immune if im correct? 

With all that said ill be targetting James Eli Watson from RedRight

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 1:18 PM, jnewt said:

Conversions

Inter-party (1 attempt at 33%): J Edgar Hoover from RedRight

Intra-party (3 attempts at 48% - Long has charisma, manipulative, and propagandaist): no one

Kingmakers

Huey Long will take Richard W Leche as an additional protege

Hoover attempt fails

Leche gains 1 admin, propagandist  

Please update the Kingmaker tab to reflect the pairing!

On 3/20/2023 at 1:20 PM, MrPotatoTed said:

KINGMAKER:  Frank C Walker takes Mitchell Palmer as his protege.

CONVERSIONS:
I'll try to take @Umbrella WIlliam Gibbs McAdoo and NM Rep John E Miles.

Palmer gains 1 leg, Army

McAdoo conversion succeeds, Miles fails

Please update the kingmaker tab!

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Based 1

On 3/20/2023 at 2:35 PM, matthewyoung123 said:

Conversions-

Hoover attempts to convert Edward H Moore, OK, of Blue Right (he's Cons, Pliable, and marked for party flipping).

other attempt is

Royal Copeland, Senator from NY of Blue Right (Cons & marked for flipping though not Pliable).

Innterparty-

Attempt to convert James Eli Watson from RedRight (Cons, Pliable)

Attempt to convert Robert Taft from Red Right (Cons)

Moore fails

Copeland fails

Watson fails, loses pliable

Taft fails (doesn't have pliable)

On 3/20/2023 at 2:45 PM, Umbrella said:

I will attempt to convert Hattie Wyatt Caraway from BlueRight.

Cordell Hull will take Gordon Browning as a protégé.

Successfully converts Caraway!

Browning gains 1 admin, foreign affairs, efficient

Please update the kingmaker tab!

On 3/20/2023 at 3:51 PM, ebrk85 said:

My leader is harmonious and passive so double no chance on conversions.

Kingmaker Fiorella La Guardia will take on Kermit Roosevelt as his protégé. 

Roosevelt gains 1 leg, justice, civil rights, efficient

please update the Kingmaker tab!

On 3/20/2023 at 4:04 PM, Murrman104 said:

Frank Gooding will take on Henry Dworshak

Vanderburg has Manipulative 33% chance  and Debator so an additional +10% 

Given Con Enthusiasm is high I believe both red Con factions are immune if im correct? 

With all that said ill be targetting James Eli Watson from RedRight

Dworshak gains 1 gov, agriculture (please update the kingmaker tab)

Watson lost pliable, any other targets?

Edited by 10centjimmy

RedRight targets ebrk's Charles Evans Hughes and fails

RedRight Robert Taft (leadership) takes on his second protege in Frank B Willis. Willis gains 1 leg, healthcare, pacifist, egghead.

BlueRight targets @Largo833 Oren Harris and fails, Harris loses pliable

BlueRight James F Byrnes (leadership) takes on his second protege in Hampto Fulmer. Fulmer gains 1 gov, justice, Nationalist, debater

The card phase was confusing to me last time.  I think it is the multiple card allowances that I don't understand.  For example, Big Agriculture has multiple card allowance of 2, yet there are 5 factions with the card.  

If I was stepping through it right now, continuing with Big Agriculture example, I would think that jnewt would get the card, since he has the most.  After that does card allowance of 2 mean 2 additional, for a total of 3, or 2 total?  Ebrk would get the second card.  If there are a total of 3 cards allowed, now there is a three way tie for third, so do all three of the factions get the card?

3 hours ago, Umbrella said:

The card phase was confusing to me last time.  I think it is the multiple card allowances that I don't understand.  For example, Big Agriculture has multiple card allowance of 2, yet there are 5 factions with the card.  

If I was stepping through it right now, continuing with Big Agriculture example, I would think that jnewt would get the card, since he has the most.  After that does card allowance of 2 mean 2 additional, for a total of 3, or 2 total?  Ebrk would get the second card.  If there are a total of 3 cards allowed, now there is a three way tie for third, so do all three of the factions get the card?

Card allowance is a minimum.  There is no maximum.  (It's also possible to have less than the minimum for anything other than ideologies, if no qualified faction has at least 5 politicians with the relevant interest/expertise).

In your example, it's a minimum of 2.  And yes, if there was a tie, multiple factions would get the card.  (Note that some lobbies refuse to go to factions that have opposing lobbies/interests/ideologies.  However, Big Agriculture can go to anybody).

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Card allowance is a minimum.  There is no maximum.  (It's also possible to have less than the minimum for anything other than ideologies, if no qualified faction has at least 5 politicians with the relevant interest/expertise).

In your example, it's a minimum of 2.  And yes, if there was a tie, multiple factions would get the card.  (Note that some lobbies refuse to go to factions that have opposing lobbies/interests/ideologies.  However, Big Agriculture can go to anybody).

Now I'm even more confused.  If this is a minimum, then do cards go out to all eligible factions?  So since everyone except ShortKing and jnewt have at least 5 moderates, does everyone else get a moderate card?  Or do you just go through the steps until the minimum is set? 

If I'm following correctly, for moderates, I have the most, so I would get the card.  matthewyoung and RedRight are tied for second, so they both get the card as well.  The minimum of 2 is now met, so we stop.  However, once all the ideology cards are done, Ebrk85 doesn't have one, so he will also get a moderate card since that is his highest number.  Am I understanding it correctly?

Edited by Umbrella

31 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

Now I'm even more confused.  If this is a minimum, then do cards go out to all eligible factions?  So since everyone except ShortKing and jnewt have at least 5 moderates, does everyone else get a moderate card?  Or do you just go through the steps until the minimum is set? 

If I'm following correctly, for moderates, I have the most, so I would get the card.  matthewyoung and RedRight are tied for second, so they both get the card as well.  The minimum of 2 is now met, so we stop.  However, once all the ideology cards are done, Ebrk85 doesn't have one, so he will also get a moderate card since that is his highest number.  Am I understanding it correctly?

It's explained step by step in the rules, I'm just trying to shorthand it here.  Do you have access to the rules?  

For your example:  It depends.  The question is not "Who has the most moderate politicians?"  The question is "What ideology are the majority of your politicians?"

You could have a situation where you have more Traditionalist politicians than anyone else, and yet the majority of your politicians are Moderates.  This actually isn't even that unusual of a situation to find yourself in.  In that scenario, you would get the Moderate card, because the answer to "what ideology are the majority of your politicians?" is "Moderate" even though you also have more traditionalists than anyone else does.

Now if no faction answers "What ideology are the majority of your politicians?" with "Traditionalist!" then somebody is still going to get the Traditionalist card.  The answer is probably you, since you have more than anyone else.  But only if you also have the Conservative card, because you can't have disconnected ideology cards.  So you can be the "Moderate, Conservative, Traditionalist" faction, but you cannot be the "Moderate, Traditionalist" faction.

That's just ideologies.  Interests and Lobbies work differently.

Edited by MrPotatoTed

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

It's explained step by step in the rules, I'm just trying to shorthand it here.  Do you have access to the rules?  

I do, but when we did it last time, it didn't match what I was expecting, so obviously I didn't understand correctly.  I didn't see anything about multiple card allowances in the rules though.  I'm just trying to figure it out.  I'll wait to see how the cards are distributed, and if it doesn't match what I think should have happened, I'll ask specific questions.