The Political Lounge

1868: The Gilded Age Playtest

15 hours ago, Bushwa777 said:

I wanted to tell you how much I look forward to playing this playtest with you all.  I know many of you are new and I am gentle and will help and the ones who are vets will help me I am sure!  

I was just looking at the factions and am excited about seeing the future this can become.  

For instance Salmon P. Chase could chose to step down from Chief Justice and run for President. Andrew Johnson could choose to come back in 1872 and give Grant a run for his money. Or how about George McClellan could he decide to come back and run? 

Boss Tweed could end up Speaker of the House!  Garfield could end up not be assassinated!  Frederick Douglas could become the 1st African American President 150 years before Obama (I rounded up) or Robert E. Lee could be pardoned and enter the US Army again rising to become Senior General!  

The possibilities make me hungry to find out and I hope you all are excited! 

These are the possibilities that make me so excited for this game and thankful for V's (and so many others on this forum's) work 😁 And it's also why in this playtest, I'll help boost Chester Arthur's career as much as I can for whoever controls him haha

Edited by DJBillyShakes
  • Agree 1
  • Based 1

10 minutes ago, DJBillyShakes said:

These are the possibilities that make me so excited for this game and thankful for V's (and so many others on this forum's) work 😁 And it's also why in this playtest, I'll help boost Chester Arthur's career as much as I can for whoever controls him haha

Guess what? You do as well as Garfield and Benjamin wade, charles Adam's sr, hannibal hamelin, zach chandler, and john c Fremont.  Those are the ones who start with command and others may come.  Would love to see Willam Sherman, whom you control as well, get command and follow grant into the white house 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bushwa777 said:

Guess what? You do as well as Garfield and Benjamin wade, charles Adam's sr, hannibal hamelin, zach chandler, and john c Fremont.  Those are the ones who start with command and others may come.  Would love to see Willam Sherman, whom you control as well, get command and follow grant into the white house 

You have no idea how much this delights me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DJBillyShakes said:

One of the most underrated presidents for real. I'll be rooting for him too 😛 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

6 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

What a stacked list of names for one faction. Arthur, Garfield, Wade, Fremont, and Sherman all in one faction? Nice. I don't recall Adams Sr, Hamelin, or Chandler though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blockmon said:

all of this is so exciting, not sure what I will do with my faction or what my goal is in the game? (I know to win points for my faction and party)

In my limited experience, I like to play with a mix of roleplaying and getting people into offices that I want. Goal number 1 is pushing Arthur to the presidency.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EYates said:

I don’t know what really to aim for but if Pierce is still alive in 72 I will probably run him for the Democratic nomination in the hopes of a Grant/Pierce matchup or something along the lines of making America run by Trusts.

Don't mean to burst your bubble but Pierce is a retired Ex President by 1868 so he can't run for anything.  This does not apply to whoever has Andrew Johnson since historically he didn't retire right after his Presidency so he is still active at the start of this playtest.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, ebrk85 said:

Don't mean to burst your bubble but Pierce is a retired Ex President by 1868 so he can't run for anything.  This does not apply to whoever has Andrew Johnson since historically he didn't retire right after his Presidency so he is still active at the start of this playtest.

Boo

1 minute ago, ebrk85 said:

I suppose that leaves me with Hendricks who probebly would have been the nominee in 72 if the Democrats bothered to run someone.

1 minute ago, EYates said:

Also just to clarify I could still have Pierce appointed to a role?

Only Key Advisor (or General if a major war broke out). And if he's a Kingmaker he can still pick up a protege 

Edited by ebrk85
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Well there is no key advisor yet so probably not unless you all vote to add a key advisor position not sure you can however I have to look at rules 

I believe Key Advisor is the only position that the game starts with from the beginning with the 1st President. But I'd have to double check that

Edited by ebrk85
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

I believe Key Advisor is the only position that the game starts with from the beginning with the 1st President. But I'd have to double check that

Key Advisor was in the game from the very beginning, last I checked. It just is an optional office to fill because it can be REALLY harmful with a bad key advisor. 

2 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Oh yeah 1 more tiny thing I found in rules since the south lost the civil war in 1872 I can roll a die and choose who the dems run since they are disorganized 

The South would have lost in... 1865 I think? What rule is this out of curiousity?

2 minutes ago, Cal said:

The South would have lost in... 1865 I think? What rule is this out of curiousity?

It is kinda new to the rules.

3.0.17 Special Election Conditions- 1872 Rule.

Basically you run independents of the opposite party as the nominee for Pres and VP.

Edited by Ich_bin_Tyler