The Political Lounge

A Thread for small, low priority changes and errors.

4 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Off of a quick Google search it seems he was a popular governor who was riddled with corruption.

Jeeze I remember when people were talking about him being a Presidential hopeful, have people honestly forgotten.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Jeeze I remember when people were talking about him being a Presidential hopeful, have people honestly forgotten.

I’d never really heard of him until he was mentioned here lol. Then again, given my age, I only remember obscure political things from about 2012 onward. 

9 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I’m not sure why he’d have lackey. Off of a quick Google search it seems he was a popular governor who was riddled with corruption. Sounds like he needs illicit or something to me, instead of lackey. Or nothing since he’s a draft obviously.

He does gain Controversial in 2008, presumably to reflect the corruption, but yeah, I'm with you that I don't see a reason for him to have Lackey.

2 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I’d never really heard of him until he was mentioned here lol. Then again, given my age, I only remember obscure political things from about 2012 onward. 

I'm pretty sure he's a fringe option in some of Anthony's earlier President Forevers.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

I'm pretty sure he's a fringe option in some of Anthony's earlier President Forevers.

I would think so. He ran for President in 2008. I think his background gave him potential to be a good candidate but couldn't gain any traction in a Obama v Clinton dominated year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I’m not sure why he’d have lackey. Off of a quick Google search it seems he was a popular governor who was riddled with corruption. Sounds like he needs illicit or something to me, instead of lackey. Or nothing since he’s a draft obviously.

I remember Richardson.  I liked him.  He was Obama’s commerce nominee but had an issue with unpaid taxes.

I think he was considered a Clinton loyalist, but if that earns you lackey we’ll need to give it to a hundred more people.  Haha.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I think he was considered a Clinton loyalist, but if that earns you lackey we’ll need to give it to a hundred more people.  Haha.

At that point Clinton Loyalist might have to be it’s own trait! 😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebrk85 said:

I would think so. He ran for President in 2008. I think his background gave him potential to be a good candidate but couldn't gain any traction in a Obama v Clinton dominated year.

He had great commercials and resume, but yeah couldn't crack the big 3 (Obama,  Clinton+Edwards)

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

I still sometimes think about John Edwards...

Edwards thought he had a deal with Obama — whichever of them became the nominee, they’d choose the other as VP.

Obama decided that did not have that deal after all.  Haha.

But yeah, even when he ran as Kerry’s VP in 2004, years before his affair took place, I could immediately tell he was as slimy as slime could be.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Edwards thought he had a deal with Obama — whichever of them became the nominee, they’d choose the other as VP.

Obama decided that did not have that deal after all.  Haha.

But yeah, even when he ran as Kerry’s VP in 2004, years before his affair took place, I could immediately tell he was as slimy as slime could be.

I just remember Cheney destroying Edwards in the VP debate. Obviously, I was rooting for Edwards, but he was coming off as a novice against Darth Vader. Edwards wouldnt or couldn’t defend himself half the time. He just smiled when Cheney pointed out his low attendance rate in the US Senate. I remember that bothered me. I still voted Kerry/Edwards though. 

22 hours ago, ShortKing said:

@NCblue1 explain

In 2020 Cal Cunningham, like John Edwards, had a sex scandal that probably cost him the election.  In 2022 Cheri Beasley was on the defensive for much of the campaign, as I believe OrangeP47 was alluding to, over charges from Tedd Budd that she was lenient on sentencing sexual predators as a state judge.  Her commercials weren't quite as bad as Christine O'Donnell's "I'm not a witch" ads but she could have done much better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCblue1 said:

In 2020 Cal Cunningham, like John Edwards, had a sex scandal that probably cost him the election.  In 2022 Cheri Beasley was on the defensive for much of the campaign, as I believe OrangeP47 was alluding to, over charges from Tedd Budd that she was lenient on sentencing sexual predators as a state judge.  Her commercials weren't quite as bad as Christine O'Donnell's "I'm not a witch" ads but she could have done much better. 

TBH I was referring to 2020 mostly.

5 minutes ago, NCblue1 said:

nah I meant explain why your state keep doing this

Why is Billy Graham RW Pop? He was advisor for politicians all over the aisle and even worked closely with MLK. If anything, he should be a Mod.

he also probably shouldn’t be in the game automatically. I feel like he should be someone who sometimes joins via event, like MLK.

53 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Why is Billy Graham RW Pop? He was advisor for politicians all over the aisle and even worked closely with MLK. If anything, he should be a Mod.

he also probably shouldn’t be in the game automatically. I feel like he should be someone who sometimes joins via event, like MLK.

currently the only scripted event with Billy Graham is him gaining celebrity between 1948 and 1972

12 hours ago, ShortKing said:

nah I meant explain why your state keep doing this

I'm not sure NC is that unique.  Edwards term as a senator was over when his sex scandal came out.  If you look at recent politicians with sex scandals how about NY with Trump, Guliani, Elliot Spitzer, and throw in Andrew Cuomo (if you want to define it more broadly) over roughly the same time span.  For an amusing but relevant take on why pols have sex scandals I recommend "King of the Mountain: The nature of political leadership" by Arnold M Ludwig.  He compares the traits of politicians to traits observed among primate leaders.

19 minutes ago, NCblue1 said:

I'm not sure NC is that unique.  Edwards term as a senator was over when his sex scandal came out.  If you look at recent politicians with sex scandals how about NY with Trump, Guliani, Elliot Spitzer, and throw in Andrew Cuomo (if you want to define it more broadly) over roughly the same time span.  For an amusing but relevant take on why pols have sex scandals I recommend "King of the Mountain: The nature of political leadership" by Arnold M Ludwig.  He compares the traits of politicians to traits observed among primate leaders.

NY is a good counterpoint, they are so awful. Spitzer, Cuomo, Schneiderman, Weiner, etc

3 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

NY is a good counterpoint, they are so awful. Spitzer, Cuomo, Schneiderman, Weiner, etc

I mean, we have 50 states.  More than one can be known for the same thing, it doesn't really decrease it on the others unless it's like... 5 or more...

Currently there is nothing in the rules saying a faction can't continuously attempt to place rookies on tracks they dont align with with the 50% roll. Probably needs updating that if a faction fails to place a rookie on the track due to incompatibility, then they can't appoint anyone. Or they can make x attempts.

• Like 1

I was wondering if we could add a restriction around plantations. In the 1868 scenario we already passed a law selling plantations to poor southern whites but now a few turns later we have another law proposing selling them back to their owners. Would it be possible to add a restriction that only one of these various laws can be passed?

Edited by EYates
typo
  • Like 3