The Political Lounge

Founding Fathers: 1789 - ????

MrPotatoTed

37 minutes ago, Magnus Rex said:

Before the next issue crosses our threshold, we need to do something about our fiscal situation.

Washington asks Treasury Secretary John Jay to draft a Tax on owning slaves. 

Action to @Hestia if John Jay agrees to move forward, he will need 4 IP to meet the difficulty of the issue and put the bill before Congress for a vote.

The President's faction will donate 1 IP to this cause, will any other factions join in this effort? @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @themiddlepolitical @Pringles

Yes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Ok.  You need to spend 4 IP.  You have 3, and @Magnus Rex has offered to give you one.  Just confirming, you’re willing to spend all 3 of your IP?

Oh I thought about just spending one lol. No I can't give up already all of my IP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magnus Rex said:

Sounds like the Slavery Tax is too unpopular to move forward.

Washington will pivot and ask John Jay @ConservativeElector2 to put forward a Level 1 protective Tariff, if he's still willing to spend 1 IP that will be all it takes for a vote to Congress

Well, let's try it. 

Tariff.jpg.63733cfb9a520631cf9996bad78bc56f.jpg

Ok.  With @ConservativeElector2 spending 1 IP, Secretary John Jay presents Tariff I to congress.

The tariff looks like it will raise exactly enough money to pay off our current debts by the end of Washington's (first?) term in office.  If it successfully passes Congress, President Washington and Secretary Jay will each get 2 popularity for this boost to the American economy.  Notably, that popularity would give Jay a leg up on Vice President Adams and Chief Justice Hamilton, as Jay would be seen as Washington's heir apparent (for now).

Voting starts with @ConservativeElector2.

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Tariff.jpg.63733cfb9a520631cf9996bad78bc56f.jpg

Ok.  With @ConservativeElector2 spending 1 IP, Secretary John Jay presents Tariff I to congress.

The tariff looks like it will raise exactly enough money to pay off our current debts by the end of Washington's (first?) term in office.  If it successfully passes Congress, President Washington and Secretary Jay will each get 2 popularity for this boost to the American economy.  Notably, that popularity would give Jay a leg up on Vice President Adams and Chief Justice Hamilton, as Jay would be seen as Washington's heir apparent (for now).

Voting starts with @ConservativeElector2.

I'll vote for my own proposal of course.

• Like 1

Tariffs are harmful to the southern economy. We vote nay.

• Like 2

Washington's faction casts the deciding 15 Yay votes. 

Protective Tariff Level 1 is passed, +40 revenue into the economy to get our federal balance sheet to hopefully break even, barring any other fiscal issues (fingers crossed).

+2 popularity each to Washington and John Jay

We are ready for Issue #2 @MrPotatoTed

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Magnus Rex said:

Washington's faction casts the deciding 15 Yay votes. 

Protective Tariff Level 1 is passed, +40 revenue into the economy to get our federal balance sheet to hopefully break even, barring any other fiscal issues (fingers crossed).

+2 popularity each to Washington and John Jay

We are ready for Issue #2 @MrPotatoTed

"Barring any other fiscal issues," indeed.

ISSUE TWO

The French, of course, were not the only ones left in debt after the Revolutionary War.  The American soldiers themselves also found that the bonds they'd been paid with were largely worthless -- seven years after the end of the war, most still had not received the money they'd been promised, and so few believed they would ever receive their pay anymore that they began selling the paper bonds to unscrupulous spectators for pennies on the dollar.  

But with the budget now seemingly balanced thanks to Jay's tariff system, the demands for payment began to pick up momentum again...

- Big Sticks: The Threats That Made America

10 minutes ago, Magnus Rex said:

You're a busy man, John Jay. 2 faction IP will be needed for your Ability 2 to match the difficulty 4, but I have every confidence in your ability to whip up bipartisan support. The brave men who won us this country must be discharged their just debts.

@ConservativeElector2

Action to @ConservativeElector2.  You can pay the 2 IP (either your own, or any you can get others to give you), and submit to Congress.  Or you can ignore.  

Note that ignoring this measure (or failing the congress vote) will erase the Conservative party support advantage AND the 2 popularity you just gained from the tariff (putting you behind Adams again for the status as Washington's heir apparent).  It would also put our nation one step closer to Civil War.

Of course, successfully passing this through Congress will take all of your IP "and" will plunge our nation right back into debt again.

It's not easy on top!  

;c)

Edited by MrPotatoTed